Recent Years Changes

fwunder

Long time lurker and covetor - one who covets.

Having owned a couple of different units - currently a 2023 NuCamp Tab 400 - we are seriously looking for a bit more space in our cat's old age ( certainly not us!! ).

Not sure our budget can handle a new Ollie Elite II, so I'm shopping used. Of course, not a lot to choose from and that's a good thing!

I would really like to know differences in model years for older Olivers. It does appear mold has *not* changed at all in years, so we're really talking systems, suspension, options, I guess.

Can someone tell me changes/improvements from, say 2019 to present? Frame, suspension, appliances, tankage, GVWR, or over all impressions?

Thanks to all!!

Edited by fwunder

2023 F150 Powerboost 7.2kW, 2023 NuCamp Tab 400 BD, Clam Escape Sky Camper Man Cave,  Elite II wannabe

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale

From your post it appears that maybe after many years you're considering a purchase? The answer to your question is in so many posts. Search 'model' or 'model year' or 'options' or...

What really matters is what is available on the used marketplace.

Older Olivers hulls to newer hulls, they are all Olivers and are all about 90% alike, except for options and owner modifications. There are no better years, but they likely got better each year. Look and compare based on availability, location, cost and your needs re options.

Edited by jd1923
  • Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Olivers have made quite a few improvements over the years and continue to do so. I suggest you continue to read and research here on this forum and come to your own conclusion. If I were in the market right now I would really consider a newer 2020 and up preowned Oliver with Solar and Lithium batteries. Then again it all depends on how you plan to camp and use your Oliver. Better yet call Oliver Sales and ask to speak with a sales rep, they will be able give you some really great information on the progress Oliver has made over the last several years. If you’re considering a used Oliver do your due diligence. I suggest you take a look at Oliver University and the owners manuals for different YM are located there. Better yet, if you are seriously considering an Oliver take the factory tour. 

• Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

There’s not much difference between the construction of new and old Oliver’s.  The main difference will be the added components.  There has been some updating of appliances, faucets, sinks, etc.  Solar switched from Blue Sky to Zamp.  Different fridge, AC, inverter and other items.  The trailer and suspension are essentially the same.  A lot of It depends on what the owner has updated or changed.  We have our original Dometic fridge and AC but some owners of our vintage have changed those out.  I just replaced our springs, shocks, brakes and bearings, so underneath we’re good as new.  It just depends on what you want.  If you find a used trailer ask about what they’ve done to change and update. It’s hard to give a year by year description of the differences.  Mike

• Like 5

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks guys. Yes, after many years and two trailers we are considering Oliver...finally.

A little due diligence and I discovered this very helpful thread:  

I also found that these two YouTube videos are helpful:

The two things I would miss that we have in our NuCamp is the Alde system and the cool cat ducted AC.

• Like 1

2023 F150 Powerboost 7.2kW, 2023 NuCamp Tab 400 BD, Clam Escape Sky Camper Man Cave,  Elite II wannabe

• Moderators
4 hours ago, fwunder said:

The two things I would miss that we have in our NuCamp is the Alde system and the cool cat ducted AC.

Two great systems. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Two great systems. 

🤣 Systems, we don’t need no schtinken Systems! (that we cannot mod ourselves)

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Funny you say that. After ten years of almost constant modding/repairing our first trailer ( soft start, solar and inverter, 12v outlets, new converter, new cabinetry, new sinks, bed modification, caulking, caulking, caulking, slide out seals, frame rust, wall separation and finally replacing rotten floor from black tank flush leak ) we moved on to a much better built unit that requires much less maintenance and pretty much had everything we were looking for - a 2023 NuCamp Tab 400 BD.  I was over the mod stage in my life.  At least, major mods. I did have to engineer a space for the cat litter box and added a second lithium battery in our new rig, but that's about it.  And, after 5K or so miles we haven't found one mystery screw on the floor or wet spots we couldn't blame on the cat.  In that 5K miles we have learned the trade off was space.  Our Tab 400 is a wonderfully built and well thought out trailer with systems I really like but it's just a little too little for us. @ 70+ we found we just don't bend like we did @ 55.

That brings us ( me ) back to Oliver which I have lusted after ever since seeing one in a S.C. parking lot seven years ago. I say me because while at Acadia Schoodic Woods a couple weeks ago my wife noticed several AS Flying Clouds. I caught her with pictures on her iPad and she even ordered brochure. I was never very good at sales, but I intend to learn!

53 minutes ago, fwunder said:

Funny you say that. After ten years of almost constant modding/repairing our first trailer (soft start, solar and inverter, 12v outlets, new converter, new cabinetry, new sinks, bed modification, caulking, caulking, caulking, slide out seals, frame rust, wall separation and finally replacing rotten floor from black tank flush leak) we moved on to a much better built unit...

You're going to fit in just fine here.

Prior owner of our hull said he was selling it because he wanted more of a project, nothing to work on with the Oliver. 🤣

Since then (June 2023) all we've been doing are minor repairs and major mods! Though it camped fine when first purchased, it should camp much more comfortably this upcoming season. Only major upgrades still on my list is to replace the A/C with something efficient and quiet, likely the Atmos 4.4, and to upgrade the axles with 12" brakes and Alcan leaf springs as soon as our shows signs of needing repair.

We purchased an older hull, first because it was listed on Craigslist in our hometown. Told my wife, "Let's go see it, but there's no way we're spending that kind of money on a travel trailer!" Had no idea what an Oliver was. Found out new ones cost twice as much, and we brought her home by the end of the week! I always buy used and enjoy restoration work. Same story re our tow vehicle.

Hope you find a good used Oliver to enjoy as we have!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jd1923 said:

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, fwunder said:

I say me because while at Acadia Schoodic Woods a couple weeks ago my wife noticed several AS Flying Clouds. I caught her with pictures on her iPad and she even ordered brochure

Let her know that there are several previous Airstream owners on this forum that moved to Oliver to get away from expensive repairs, hail damage, rotten floors, failing cabinets, popped rivets, and more. All you need to do is join an Airstream forum to learn there is a better option. 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg.d9d6547ab1cd0cc5803e63d1a54214de.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve Morris said:

Let her know that there are several previous Airstream owners on this forum that moved to Oliver to get away from expensive repairs, hail damage, rotten floors, failing cabinets, popped rivets, and more. All you need to do is join an Airstream forum to learn there is a better option. 😉

We are one of those, had a 2016 26' Flying Cloud with twin beds, inside layout and space obviously larger than our LEII. Loved the 26' BUT you just cannot compare quality and support from factory, AS is good but Oliver is MUCH better! Here is a good overview (Oliver vs AS) fom Ray Eklund (Oliver and AS owner).

Edited by rich.dev
  • Thanks 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Roof Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter), added 400W Renogy Solar suitcase with Victron MPPT 100/30 CC, Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

I am most thankful for two systems: solar/lithium and composting toilet. The solar/lithium allows me to boondock. It also allows me to save money at campgrounds b/c I can use a "tent" site that has no electricity or water. It just removes any anxiety about powering the other systems. Regarding the composting toilet, it removes dump stations from the equation. No more dumping, no more looking for a dump stations, no more paying for dumping, etc. 

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

11 minutes ago, Cameron said:

I am most thankful for two systems: solar/lithium and composting toilet. The solar/lithium allows me to boondock. It also allows me to save money at campgrounds b/c I can use a "tent" site that has no electricity or water. It just removes any anxiety about powering the other systems. Regarding the composting toilet, it removes dump stations from the equation. No more dumping, no more looking for a dump stations, no more paying for dumping, etc. 

Solar/lithium...check. No more dumping? How do you deal with grey water?  I spend more time hauling my portable grey tote to dump station than I worry about black tank.