Moisture completed the circuit.

geokeg

This morning I looked out and had these lights illuminated on the Oliver.  They had came on sometime in the night without a tow vehicle hooked up or other input to make it happen.  I looked at the schematic in the owner's manual.  No clue there for a source of power except maybe at the plug.  We had a long soaking rain fall yesterday.  I looked at the plug, nothing obvious for water intrusion.  I whacked the plug a couple of times on the trailer frame and the lights went out.  For prevention I sprayed some WD40 into the plug to displace the moisture and will keep it covered from now on.

Darn plugs can be a problem with moisture and or corrosion.

IMG_0414.thumb.jpg.5880b93b39f3b9822795f638ec4f4416.jpg

• Thanks 5

George and Gretchen

Gig Harbor, Wa.

Hull Number 178

• Moderator+

Apparently the short caused a back flow of power from your coach batteries. Probably would not happen again but this is a good example of all the strange and weird things that can happen. Sometimes it makes you want to pull what little hair you may still have on your head completely out.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I whacked the plug a couple of times on the trailer frame and the lights went out. For prevention I sprayed some WD40 into the plug to displace the moisture and will keep it covered from now on. Darn plugs can be a problem with moisture and or corrosion.

You really need to open up that plug for a look, WD40 is a bandaid fix. Rain water is non-conducting. What most likely caused your problem was corrosive crud building up on the terminals, like the white flowers you see forming on a neglected battery's terminals. You need to clean all the crud out, degrease the connections and then coat them  with a product that waterproofs them. I really like liquid electrical tape, but there are a bunch of choices.

Also seal the opening where the cable enters, even if it has a good rubber grommet. When the plug is allowed to hang straight down, water can't get into the pins, but it sure can trickle down the cable and seep into the interior.

In the bad old days there were plated steel female connectors for the tow vehicle. When those got water into the front side, they caused all sorts of problems when the growing rust from the housing spread to the live wires... fortunately they are now made with a nonconductive liner. I wonder who ever thought steel was an appropriate material for this application...?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Pure rain water in theory may be non-conductive. I personally would not try it with a live wire. A raindrop would not have to travel too far to pickup enough impurities to be quite conductive. If there is a chance that water might be able to enter a molded on plug through the cord end, which I would think unlikely, I would rub a little silicone adhesive on it. If the plug in end was dry, I would plug it in repeatedly, to shine the contacts. Then I would put some dielectric grease into the openings,(as a major vehicle manufacturer recommended when addressing the 'trailer disconnect' issue). I would change to an openable plug only as a last resort. There are so many more chances of moisture intrusion with them...

• Thanks 3

• Moderators

While I do not disagree with any of the above, here is a product that will help keep dirt and rain/snow out of the plug:  At about $8.50 it is way expensive for what it is, but it does work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AMON6HM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I attached a fairly short length of thin elastic cord to mine and when I disconnect from the TV I cap the cord and then place the elastic cord around the front jack.

Bill

318DDym4rEL.jpg

• Thanks 4

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg