Lack of safety in design: RVs and boats - oh my!

John E Davies

This drifts s little off topic. I posted a year ago about slideouts and the horrible crash performance of RVs in general. The industry has safety minimums that manufacturers must meet, but they are all focussed on plumbing, gas detection, and fire protection. Not a thing about safety during a crash. It’s perfectly OK for a structure to explode into kindling during a rollover, or for the builder to cut four gaping holes into an otherwise (fairly) sturdy cabin to fit multiple slides, and to locate one directly behind the driver so that he is crushed when in flies forward.

It truly is insane from this perspective.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/recreational-vehicle-standards-and-why-is-the-average-build-quality-so-low/

I have been researching power boats recently, an old interest rekindled after 30 years, and I am appalled at the designs. Boating has been in a huge slump and the makers are desperate to bring new families into the sport with innovating and affordable designs. These boats are almost universally “bow riders” with a large open seating area up front, instead of an enclosed deck, so you can pack a few extra people onto a small design. They look cool in the showroom but are stupid and deadly in reality.

img13121143739.jpg

Even the larger boats are coming with this feature. They are safer due to their extra size and mass, but still..... does this make sense even to the novice? Do they consider what happens in even a low speed accident?

four-winns-h440.jpg

https://www.wavetowave.com/home/2017/9/19/bowriders-the-death-of-safe-design

We used to have a SeaRay 250 Sundancer that we would take out on Puget Sound. That was not a small boat.... I can vividly recall the time we plunged into a very steep FOUR FOOT tall wake from a laboring cruiser going through the fast current of Deception Pass. A wall of green water swept over the closed deck of our boat and exploded into the windshield. Loose objects crashed to the deck. With an open deck we might have gone to the bottom. As it happened we swore but nothing broke.

I’ve been thinking about going to the Boat Show next week, but, like RV shows, I will probably be absolutely disgusted with what I see and I will most likely make rude comments to the poor sale people. They can’t help it if all they have to sell is junk.

Olivers are amazing trailers. One thing that really impressed me during research is how focussed the company is on real world safety. I have heard stoies of how well they survive crashes, but have never seen actual pics.

Neat trailers!

Comments are welcome, as always.

EDIT. This neat trailerable pocket cruiser from France caught my eye. They do stick a small seat up front for lounging at anchor, but no huge cavities with couches.

MF8LA_FRONT-VIEW-.JPG

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Mark, It is interesting that the Jenneau power boats are now being made here in the USA. I doubt if I would ever see one at a local show, but there is a Jeanneau powerboat dealer in Seattle, so maybe they might bring one there.

I like the Hewescraft you posted, any idea about pricing? I always though these commercial grade aluminum hulls were pretty darned expensive, and probably way overkill for any use I would put it to, like cruising the Columbia or lower Snake Rivers...) This one would be perfect for that, in the shorter size for easier trailering:

http://www.hewescraft.com/products/pacific-cruiser/

Having outboard power really opens up the inside in terms of cargo and tankage...

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2016-hewescraft-240-pacific-cruiser-102795207/

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Those Ranger Tugs are cool and stunningly pretty in real life. That R27 is not exactly easy to tow.....

EF0CE305-8A62-43B6-93EC-E65BF367B3B5.jpeg.09f39f0ce06f819d26aef100ac0d6c8a.jpeg

I actually did go to the boat show after all. There were four boats that interested me, one was an R23, it would actually pull OK behind my Land Cruiser if I never went to Colorado with it....

5D68EFB0-5D83-4CB0-867A-2919B8B7AE5F.thumb.jpeg.e96e4c76ebce39f2773149f044cfc121.jpeg

395D1741-A1D3-45F1-887E-2ECE8306D832.thumb.jpeg.679507a8ed802ca39b24b6f354303bc9.jpeg

FYI.... One R23 = two Olivers. One R27 = three to four Olivers. $$$$$! Plus, if you keep it in the water, figure about 10% of its cost per year to maintain it correctly, including fuel, insurance, haul outs, annual bottom paint and slip rental, this is if you pay to have it serviced  professionally. Keep it on a trailer, stored inside, the cost is WAY less, and you don’t need the bottom paint. But if you tow it, you need to protect the bow and forward facing glass from rock and bug damage and figure in the cost of fixing chips in the gel coat, which is a PITA.

Holy cow, why did I ever start thinking about boats again....? I thought I learned my lesson 30 years ago. I do have a canoe.... I need to replace loose rivets in the gunnels. That is the extent of the work it needs....

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 4

I've had a variety of fresh water fishing boats, got tired of the expense and maintenance, even if they're not being used, bought two fishing kayaks, one for me, one for Betty. One of the best decisions I've made ( other than the Ollie), I hope I'm never tempted again! Got to quit looking. Lol!

• Thanks 1

STEVEnBETTY

Ahh, boats ... that red one is nice. November 4, on the way to launch in Tampa Bay, our dear ShallowGal was rear ended & deemed totaled. Insurance didn't cover replacing her & we'd just made our Ollie deposit so we decided it's time to close that 25-year chapter and focus on the next one, which we know will be great!

FB_IMG_1517425397814.jpg.7ee8b5b6da005ed1ab7b4dac12846fb9.jpg

Chris

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

Maybe everyone ought to be looking for a surplus military landing craft? Usually well maintained. Then you could back your Oliver on to it, and then enjoy the best of both worlds. We still love our 25' Stieger. Easy to tow, easy to launch and recover, and the 60 gallon tank takes us wherever we want to go. Windshield wipers to keep the salt spray off on a chilly day. Opening front windows to put a breeze across the cockpit on a wine and cheese cruise. Nothing better than sitting in a slight swell, off a lighthouse, and catching a 30" stripper on 6lb. test line. (Well maybe sitting in the north woods around a campfire, listening to a pair of owls talking to each other)...

Not to put Ollie on the spot, but I wonder how theses trailers have fared. More importantly, I wonder how the TV Occupants have fared in crashes! Also wonder how many of the 200+ Ollies remain in service?  I can attest that Hull 064 is in service, camped over 1,000 miles from home this morning.

Mike and Elizabeth Smith

Snow Lake Shores, MS

2016 Ford F150 3.5 EB, max tow (20,900  miles pulling Ollie since Sept 2016)