Fly on the Wall

RodgerS

The couple parked next to us at the Hiawassee rally was pulling their Elite II with a diesel Canyon or Colorado (sorry I can’t recall which). They claimed it did a fine job.

Based on this information, pulling an Elite should prove to be a spectacular combination. And very cool, in my opinion.

I like to remind people that a combination that works “fine” in Florida will not necessarily work OK when climbing in 100 degree temps, 10,000+ feet elevation, 30 mph headwind and a 12% grade.

Difficult terrain compels you to to have lots of reserve capacity in your TV, that cruising up the I-95 does not.....

This brings up a question. Do any of the new small displacement diesels and EcoBoosts maintain sea level power at high altitude? I had a 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon (gas engine) that would do that. On boost it was a rocket, even at 10,000 ft. But off boost it was so gutless up high I would stall it leaving a stop sign (manual transmission.) Do these new motors perform well up there, or does the power bleed away?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Ah, a fellow Saab owner. I had two - first was a C900t right out of college that was a real blast. I kept that car for 18 years and still miss it even though I don’t think there was a single day I owned it that something wasn’t broken. The back was a full 6’+ with the back seat folded and we camped many a night back there. Later I leased a Viggen but frankly while super quick it was a handful to drive. They didn’t strengthen the body when they upped the horsepower so it had insane torque steer plus the front suspension geometry would flex under acceleration so you were constantly adjusting for it. My wife hated to drive it because it would literally jerk the steering wheel out of her hands. I never saw the stalling problems you had though. I seem to remember the T7 engines had anti stall so maybe something wasn’t working right on yours.

I can’t speak for the other EcoBoosts, but the high output 3.5 has zero issues with altitude or grade. On our most recent trip we took our Ollie over a couple 12,000’ passes with ease.

• Moderators

In 1978 I was going to buy a 99 Turbo but then news came out about the new 900 Turbo so I waited and bought a new 1979 900 Turbo. Black with the Inca wheels. We were living in Germany and I was tearing up the autobahn with that car. Kept it 10 years and well over 100k miles. Good memories. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

All good points John and yes just because a particular combination works fine for someone, doesn't mean it's capable under all conditions, especially under the more extreme conditions.

However, I have yet to read about someone having a problem towing an Oliver Elite or Elite II with a Colorado or a Tacoma.

Just speculating, but there is a fine point about the narrower width of the Oliver trailers that may be relevant. Part of the comments on a tow comparison between a Ford 150 and a Colorado pulling a wide large rectangular 5,000 trailer, without using a WD hitch, mentioned that the width of the trailer can also be a relevant factor. I would have appreciated it if they had tried a WD hitch as well and pulled either an Airstream or Oliver or equivalent 19 to 23 footer. And yes, this was under non-extreme conditions.

Update note:

"The 2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 will also provide so many high-tech features and safety ones, including hill start assist, lane-departure warning, a set of airbags, trailer-sway control, Forward-collision alert, stability control, 4G LTE connectivity, USB port, Smartphone integration, and many others as well...Furthermore, the towing capacity and payload will most likely go up."

Well, I can always sell the Oliver Elite if I am unhappy towing it and trade it in for a Patriot Camper X2, but no you won't find me in a bigger truck.

• Moderators

For what its worth - I've owned two 3.5 Eco-boost Ford F-150's and have never had an once of problem with either one -at altitude or at sea level towing or not towing. Its one heck of an engine! Please remember here that neither have had more than 60,000 miles and have not been abused. From what I've read any problems with the 3.5 have not come to light until after 100,000 miles and even that was with the early models.

With my first Eco-boost I towed a 3200 pound stick built hybrid camper that was 8 feet wide. With that same truck I towed my Oliver Elite II. Both were towed with weight distribution hitches on similar trips in excess of 5,000 miles each. With the Oliver my gas mileage was 12.5 to 13.5 mpg while with the hybrid the mileage was 10.0 to 10.5 mpg. Obviously the difference was caused by a combination of both the width and overall body shape being slightly offset by the weight differential. My gas mileage is slightly better with the new (2017) F-150 versus the old (2011) truck.

I think that I've said it before, but, I really don't believe that there is that much difference between any of the four main truck manufacturers of 1/2 ton trucks. Just as soon as one claims a higher tow rating the others up their game and the same goes with who ever has the nicest interior or "better" bell and whistles. Each year all of them get better (and more expensive) but there really isn't a bad one out there at this point. Which one currently has what you want - color, style, bells or whistles? And then what kind of a deal can you make for that truck you want? This goes for mid-sized trucks too.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

All the comments have been helpful. Thanks.

I drove a GMC Denali 1/2 ton yesterday.

The pressure to buy was very sophisticated and clever.

They handed the key to me, said take it home and get used to it.

How I escaped from the dealership, I will never know.

• Thanks 1

What a dastardly tactic....You escaped - with or without a good impression of the truck?

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

(You escaped – with or without a good impression of the truck?)

Rides great on its magnetic shocks, very premium experience...excellent impression.

Now I have a choice between a $45k mid-size Z71 or $85k full size Denali.

Basically one truck, or a truck and an Oliver.

Basically it's my dog's decision...what can he have the most fun in.

Wife just along for the ride on occasion.

=====================

(It’s a sales tactic, but I found it helpful.)

The reason I like to walk away is to avoid buying with my emotions, which for me is unhelpful.

The next day I test drove an 18 Ford 150...a hot 101 degrees dog's day afternoon.

Yes, I agree, I should have rolled up at the Ford dealership in the Denali.

For us it was good because the truck had to be a daily driver and we live in an older section of town with narrow streets, driveways, and tight radiuses at intersections. The extra length and poorer visibility of the F250 made it really difficult to get around, which wasn't evident on the typical suburban test drive.

Now I have a choice between a $45k mid-size Z71 or $85k full size Denali.

Basically one truck, or a truck and an Oliver..

Yep, we all know that feeling. The creeping cost of this endeavor is why we named our Ollie what we did.

All I wanted was a nicer tent.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI...

I have decided not to buy a chevy  truck and Oliver trailer.

I have decided to focus more on overseas traveling, and to trade in my old Mercedes CLK for a new Porsche Macan GTS AWD.

Best of luck to you all and kindest regards.

Rodger

FYI…

I have decided not to buy a chevy truck and Oliver trailer.

I have decided to focus more on overseas traveling, and to trade in my old Mercedes CLK for a new Porsche Macan GTS AWD.

Best of luck to you all and kindest regards.

Rodger

Probably best for all parties.

• Thanks 2

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax