Trailer Cover

Newshoes

• 1 month later...

Well I ordered a cover for my Legacy Elite from CalMark July 17 and it is supposed to arrive this Thursday August 22. Not inexpensive, but quality does not come cheap. Just wanted a cover that matched the quality of the Oliver. I'll post a report on the finished product once I have a chance to test fit it.

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

Newshoes,

Having had fiberglass RV's in the past before owning an Ollie, I've used many different brands and types of covers.

These are "semi-custom" Horse Trailer covers, made with a "sunbrella" fabric that I've now used for four and a half years with great success from National/ Estrella. So far no rips or tears.  They have a five year warranty.

You can order them with squared, rounded, or tri-angled front/nose. The one I ordered, I believe it was the 20'-23' model, has a two foot tri-angled front on it that fit the Ollie just fine. https://www.nationalrvcovers.com/horse-trailer-covers.html. The cost was a bit under $500.00. Well worth the price! I've been very happy with it.

It's tall enough to just cover the tires and still stay off the ground. Plenty of tie-downs to keep it snug in the wind, and weighs about 40lbs. Fits well over the A/C unit, Max-fan, and my King-dome.

The tri-angular front allows it to fit around the propane tanks and the front motorized jack and still stay "snug". Don't forget the spare tire in your measurements.

They are a "semi-customized, stock" item, so you're not paying for a fully customized unit and the bigger bucks.

So far, knock on wood, it has stood up well to the southwestern elements (wind, sun, rain, snow, etc.) where other brands have not.

If you check in the "Oliver University" section of the website you'll find the detailed dimensions of your trailer.

It's a good fit. Sorry, but, I haven't figured out how to send pictures yet or  I would.

Best, Bob

Bob

CalMark has a template that asks for dimensions taken from the trailer along with providing them some pics. I provided them with the dimensions and photos prior to the fabrication. They have made some previously for the Elite II but did not indicate they had done a Legacy Elite. Each one would be slightly different depending upon what is mounted to the roof. We'll see how it came out. Cost around $700 or  a little over 1% of the trailer cost!

Thanks,

Andrew

• Thanks 1

2019 Legacy Elite #431;  2019. TV 2019 GMC Canyon Denali, crew cab, 4X4, Long bed, Duramax Diesel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

When I purchased my CalMark cover I asked about having clear panels sewn into the top for the solar panels. They will not do that. So, I simply put the cover on, make sure that the solar and all electric is turned off in the camper and then plug a small (25 watt) solar panel into the camper to tow vehicle pigtail so that the batteries remain charged over the storage period.

Bill

p.s. My Calmark cover is now going into its 5th year. I've had to patch about a half dozen places over the years where I did not pad the cover and the camper wore through - i.e. the corner of the folding steps, the bumper. But, Calmark includes patching material with the cover and all you do is glue the patch to the under side of the cover - works great.

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Yep - I traded another Oliver owner for it. There is a thread here on the Forum somewhere about this application. I'll try to find it but I must run at the moment.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Here's what it looks like in the meantime:

P1020093.thumb.jpg.2f4912b2d7bcbc260cdfd01420a2f5c9.jpg

Note that it is just a regular 25 watt panel with built in controller mounted on an old tripod with additional support legs off the front ( to get the angle of the panel adjusted better for the angle of the Winter sun) and the positive/negative wires from the panel wired into the 7 pin trailer connector. The yellow pieces of rope at the bottom of the legs are used along with 12 inch nails to secure the panel to the ground.

Check these out.

All I’ve read indicates they excellent.

*** Also, they’ve made them for Ollies already and have all the necessary dimensions.

Not inexpensive however…around $700.

https://calmarkcovers.com/

Greg

$700 is cheap. I think my cover cost about $30K and we're

not done yet.

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

Bill, here's some additional photos. Connected # 4 pin to controller's + connection and # 1 pin to controller's - connection on the bottom right side of the controller, from receptacle shown in Bill's 7 pin diagram. Purchased 7 pin receptacle from Walmart. Used a worn out camera tripod. I should have installed a 5A inline fuse between controller's + pin to #4 pin in the 7 pin receptacle, too.

i-8Xt3xgP-L.jpg

i-Z4nx9Dj-L.jpg

• Thanks 2

2015 LE2

Regarding off-season covers; what would you do if you have the solar panels? cover them to and just let the batteries idle?

I have a similar problem, as I store my Ollie under a roof. My solution is to install a battery disconnect switch. Easy to install, easy to use, and less than $20.

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Here's a master switch (knife switch) like we use on Ollie's batteries to keep the batteries from discharging between camping trips, need to learn how to share a link with a few words like David:

https://www.amazon.com/Wadoy-Battery-Disconnect-Terminal-Automotive/dp/B074GPSZS7/ref=sr_1_8?crid=17AONQCQ12DNV&keywords=battery+blade+switch&qid=1567651507&s=gateway&sprefix=blade+switch%2Caps%2C205&sr=8-8

2015 LE2

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators
11 hours ago, Cash said:

I just ordered a Diamondback SE. Should be great security as well as keeping things out of the weather. They aren't cheap but, neither is my RVing gear! https://diamondbackcovers.com/

I’ve had my eye on the Diamondback for a while.  We had Bakflips on our half tons and I liked them a lot.  I’m not as happy with the Bakflip on my 2500, it’s harder to handle and leaks quite a bit.  You’d think that with just one more section it wouldn’t be that different than the half ton model but it is.  Mike

• Sad 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Planning to install a Diamondback SE as soon as we return from our final trip with our fifth wheel in a few weeks. Going to add the Frontrunner racks and put the bikes up there.

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg