HOW TO: Quiet the Smoke Alarm

My alarm is really really loud. It is a residential unit intended to be mounted way up high on a ceiling, in a large room. Inside the Ollie with all its hard surfaces, and positioned three feet over the bed, it is just way too intense. This takes the nasty shreik out of it while still being easy to hear.

IMG_2275.thumb.jpeg.3c0263d8bc200361e7ee3ef231564aec.jpeg

Yeah, I know you are supposed to change the batteries annually, that is too often IMHO. When it starts to chirp once every thirty seconds, then change them. Don't wait longer or it may go dead.... My Duracell regular AA batteries last two years.

Warning, if any of the folks camping inside the trailer are hard of hearing, it would be best to leave the speaker uncovered. Do this at your own risk.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

We have little shower caps that came with the smoke alarms installed when our home was built.  We put one of these over the smoke alarm when cooking indoors and take it off before going to bed.  Maybe this is why Oliver put the alarm above the bed - so one of us doesn't need to get up to remove the shower cap 😀

I'm not suggesting anyone do this, but I feel safe cooking with the fire alarm disabled.  

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

I just noticed something: the alarm is a dual alarm - smoke and carbon monoxide.  Is the alarm under the dinette dual LP/CO, or just LP?  If it's the same as the dual alarm we had in our camper van, it is really loud!

Ray and Susan Huff

On 9/26/2020 at 5:02 PM, topgun2 said:

Both are dual.  So the co part is duplicated - thanks Mike 😊

So, has anyone thought of replacing the CO/LP alarm under the dinette with an LP only alarm?  Or, do they make such a thing anymore?

Our 2014 5th-wheel had a smoke only alarm, a CO detector in the bedroom, and an LP alarm in the galley mounted on the cabinet baseboard.  Maybe RV standards have changed since then.

Ray and Susan Huff

• Moderators

One of the "problems" that you will encounter is that there are very few alarms of any sort that fit into that hole under the dinette.  So, unless you are willing to live with the hole, or, live with gaps around the hole, or, patch or cover the hole, you are basically stuck with what's there.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

One of the "problems" that you will encounter is that there are very few alarms of any sort that fit into that hole under the dinette.

This is actually the "number one problem" why the hole in mine is still empty. I haven't found an alternative that's even close.