Jump to content

Size of Generator needed to run Oliver ii AC


Recommended Posts

Hi, all. I want to buy a small portable quiet generator to charged up my Oliver when dry camping. My question is if the model I want to order A-ipower Yamaha generator 1800 running watts with peak wattage 2300W would have enough power to run the AC?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Imelda, which ac unit do you have in your trailer?

My sister had the same genset. It would not run her dometic 13,500 ac. She did not have the soft start. 

 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a Dometic ac unit but i am not sure of the model as I cannot find it in the Oliver manual. Likely the 13500 unit. How do I go about adding the soft start?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Run Ollie's Dometic 13.5K AC with a 2000W Honda gen-set that puts out 1600W continuous with the Micro-Air 364 Easy Start unit installed. Used this gen-set/AC combination up to 3700 feet above sea level without issues, have not needed Gen-Set/AC above that elevation, normally have shore power during most camping trips. Used same Gen-Set to operate the Suburban 6 gallon electric water heater at 5000 feet above sea level without issues.

Installed a Micro Air 364 on Ollie's Dometic 13.5K AC following their installation instructions, may have emailed their service representative during the afternoon installation.

https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners

Here's Micro Air's RV installation video:

Here's Micro Air's service/sales representative installing a 364 Easy Start during an Oliver Rally:

i-82mtqcz-L.jpg

i-DfbGMf8-L.jpg

Edited by rideandfly
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Bill

LE2 #75

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All, thank you but I am not going to install a soft start - no way am I getting up on the roof. So can anyone recommend a quiet, portable generator, not too heavy that can run the Oliver ac without adding a soft start. I have a champion 4KW that does the job but its noisy and heavy so I want someone lighter, quiet, easy start and reliable  with enough power to run the ac 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

You could also call your local rv repair and see what they'd charge to install the soft start.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Or, you could buy a pair of the ai generators, and connect them with the supplied parallel cables. 

 

  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Imelda said:

All, thank you but I am not going to install a soft start - no way am I getting up on the roof. So can anyone recommend a quiet, portable generator, not too heavy that can run the Oliver ac without adding a soft start. I have a champion 4KW that does the job but its noisy and heavy so I want someone lighter, quiet, easy start and reliable  with enough power to run the ac 

Search "Generator" and you'll find about 1500 opinions.  Personally I use the Honda EU2200i.  Many use the Honda EU200i, some Yamaha's, and recently the Harbor Freight inverter line (Predator's) is gaining acceptance with a bit more power (3,00 to 3,500 watts).  Honda have as many believe the best reputation, but they are also expensive.  Lots on options and opinions already here on the site.  

  • Thanks 1

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

ALAZARCACOIDKSKYLAMSNENVNMNCOKORTNTXUTVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

SeaDawg🤪 you a bad boy today!

?

Two of the ai gensets is not a bad or expensive deal. They come with the parallel cables, or at least, they used to.

You only need one to charge the battery. Two to run the ac without soft start. Lifting each is within most people's capability. Big gensets are a tougher lift. I can lift the small ai she suggested, easily. 

I thought it was a useful suggestion.  Maybe not.

Btw, I'm an older woman, not a guy. So, I am probably a little more understanding of weights for smaller women  to lift. I'd rather double up, on rare occasions when  she  needed ac,,than  carry a big unit on the tongue .

Just my thoughts.

Sherry 

 

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Imelda said:

So can anyone recommend a quiet, portable generator, not too heavy that can run the Oliver ac without adding a soft start.

If the 2200 (1800 watt) generators won't start the AC, I'd strongly encourage you to consider having someone else install the EasyStart before buying a larger generator. They get pretty unwieldy after 1800 watts. The EasyStart is a very simple install for an RV shop and the part is way less than the cost of a larger generator.

Edited by Jairon
  • Like 3

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rideandfly said:

Here's Micro Air's service/sales representative installing a 364 Easy Start during an Oliver Rally

Does anyone know what ladder and ladder extension/pad that is? It looks perfectly formed for an Oliver.

  • Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

?

Two of the ai gensets is not a bad or expensive deal. They come with the parallel cables, or at least, they used to.

You only need one to charge the battery. Two to run the ac without soft start. Lifting each is within most people's capability. Big gensets are a tougher lift. I can lift the small ai she suggested, easily. 

I thought it was a useful suggestion.  Maybe not.

Btw, I'm an older woman, not a guy. So, I am probably a little more understanding of weights for smaller women  to lift. I'd rather double up, on rare occasions when  she  needed ac,,than  carry a big unit on the tongue .

Just my thoughts.

Sherry 

 

Sherry: 

OMG, I am falling out of my chair laughing at my silly mistake.  My apologies I totally miss-read your suggestion. 

I thought you were spoofing Imelda and you were not.  I know some computer artificial intelligence code writers (generators).  One works at NSA.  So when you suggested getting two ai generators, my mind thought you were saying Imelda should get two Artificial Intelligence code generators and connecting them up with parallel cables to provide the trailer power.  It was so funny that I had to pull your chain.    I have deleted my OOPs.  Forgive me.  🙂  

  • Like 1

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

ALAZARCACOIDKSKYLAMSNENVNMNCOKORTNTXUTVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jairon said:

Does anyone know what ladder and ladder extension/pad that is? It looks perfectly formed for an Oliver.

Jairon:  He is using a telescoping ladder with pool noodles attached to protect Ollie.

Home Depot and Lowes sell several models.  As decked out, I'm about 245 pounds so I really liked the stronger version.  It is a TeleSteps Climbing Ladder, Type 1, Model 1600E, OSHA Compliant.  When I get up on top of Ollie, I extend it out the full length and it gives me a high hand hold to then slide off the side to the roof.  This model collapses down to about 3' and fits very nicely in the front side (Behind the hanging cloths) of the coat closet as you enter Ollie.  I cover it in a blanket to protect the fiberglass.  

 

 

Telesteps Climbing Ladder _Type 1_ Model 1600E _OSHA Compliant.docx

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Like 1

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

ALAZARCACOIDKSKYLAMSNENVNMNCOKORTNTXUTVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
16 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

Sherry: 

OMG, I am falling out of my chair laughing at my silly mistake.  My apologies I totally miss-read your suggestion. 

I thought you were spoofing Imelda and you were not.  I know some computer artificial intelligence code writers (generators).  One works at NSA.  So when you suggested getting two ai generators, my mind thought you were saying Imelda should get two Artificial Intelligence code generators and connecting them up with parallel cables to provide the trailer power.  It was so funny that I had to pull your chain.    I have deleted my OOPs.  Forgive me.  🙂  

No worries.  We all just try to do our best in real world advice.

I know what I can lift and carry. I'm guessing  imelda might be like me.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

He is using a telescoping ladder with pool noodles attached to protect Ollie.

Thanks. The top looked odd to me, almost as if the blue section turned into a perfectly shaped Oliver pad.

 

3 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

TeleSteps Climbing Ladder

I've been on the lookout for a ladder. I appreciate the info!

  • Like 1

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser

2021 Oliver Elite II, Hull #748

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sherry:

your suggestion of AI Generators , at $386 each (Amazon.Com) is far less expensive than the  Honda 2200 ei.  One could buy two, almost three, and it would still cost a lot less than the Honda 2200 does.  The competition to the Honda's is heating up nicely.

One down side is that the AI's weigh 50 pounds and the Honda is 40 pounds.  On the plus side, the two AI's make 4,000 watts of power vsl 2200 for the single Honda.... 

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Like 2

Tug:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow, FX-4, 4X4, Rear Locker

ALAZARCACOIDKSKYLAMSNENVNMNCOKORTNTXUTVA

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

@Geronimo John those are all good, real world comparisons.  Thanks.

My first advice to Imelda was to get the soft start installed. You or I could do it. She doesn't feel comfortable with doing that.  So, she should find the cost difference in having someone else do it. 

 This forum sometimes tends to trend to those with a lot of skills.  Not everyone has those skills.  That shouldn't be a demeaning thing. Ever.

Our forum should help those who want to know what "to ask for" in an estimate, if the owner doesn't have the skills. 

As a young kid, my dad taught me how to troubleshoot.  Even if I  couldn't fix it. At least I  wasn't at the total blank end of the stick, when I  needed help. I  think you know what I mean.

I know you have heart. If you , or many of us , were nearby , I know she'd have help.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jairon said:

Does anyone know what ladder and ladder extension/pad that is? It looks perfectly formed for an Oliver.

 

We use TeleSteps ladder, too:

IMG_5943-L.jpg

IMG_5944-L.jpg

Edited by rideandfly
  • Like 1

Bill

LE2 #75

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...