Jump to content

Air Conditioner Impeller Issue?


Recommended Posts

We have an E2, hull # 701.picked up in mid December. Just trying our air conditioner for the first real test.  As soon as it started up, we could hear what sounded like the impeller was in contact with something that caused a loud noise.  Seems like the blades are still turning but contacting something they are not supposed to be hitting.  I looked at the AC material supplied by Oliver but there is no model ID info.  I tried to call the company directly but their initial phone message stated that customers needing tech support need to have the model and serial number.

-  does anyone know where to find that information?

-  has anyone had a similar issue and, if so, how did you deal with it?

We are happy to open the housing to see what there is to see.  Hopefully an easy fix but not sure whether to lift the shroud from the top of the camper or if there is a way to see the guts from inside.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You need to remove the roof shroud and look for the model and serial number information, it should look something like this one (this not an Oliver AC picture):

DSCF1357.thumb.jpg.5f5839aff1279c350819c7f4476645b3.jpg

It is too bad they didn't write it down, you should have a page with all the appliance models and serial numbers. I don't have a clue about the fan noise, you can run it while the large cover is off, don't get hurt, watch to see what is happening. With power turned OFF you may be able turn the rear fan by hand to feel for binding. It may have a screen over it. The front (compressor) fan is going to be hidden by a cover.

Penguin-II-Breakdown-2__31057.1619459558.thumb.png.732ab921e6e0c5123185049545dc1359.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And mine just started making noise

Dang it.  Domestic is horrible. I'd bet it doesn't have 30 hours run time.

I'll get up there and look next week 😡

  • Sad 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GAP said:

We have an E2, hull # 701.picked up in mid December. Just trying our air conditioner for the first real test.  As soon as it started up, we could hear what sounded like the impeller was in contact with something that caused a loud noise.  Seems like the blades are still turning but contacting something they are not supposed to be hitting.  I looked at the AC material supplied by Oliver but there is no model ID info.  I tried to call the company directly but their initial phone message stated that customers needing tech support need to have the model and serial number.

-  does anyone know where to find that information?

-  has anyone had a similar issue and, if so, how did you deal with it?

We are happy to open the housing to see what there is to see.  Hopefully an easy fix but not sure whether to lift the shroud from the top of the camper or if there is a way to see the guts from inside.

 

Birds and insects love making a home in the housing. Hope that is the case. 

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, John E Davies said:

You need to remove the roof shroud and look for the model and serial number information, it should look something like this one (this not an Oliver AC picture):

DSCF1357.thumb.jpg.5f5839aff1279c350819c7f4476645b3.jpg

It is too bad they didn't write it down, you should have a page with all the appliance models and serial numbers. I don't have a clue about the fan noise, you can run it while the large cover is off, don't get hurt, watch to see what is happening. With power turned OFF you may be able turn the rear fan by hand to feel for binding. It may have a screen over it. The front (compressor) fan is going to be hidden by a cover.

Penguin-II-Breakdown-2__31057.1619459558.thumb.png.732ab921e6e0c5123185049545dc1359.png

John Davies

Spokane WA

John, as always, thanks so much for the support.  Great info.

I have had a ton of issues involving a few systems supplied by third parties.  Fridge, inverter, water pressure tank, antenna, heat pad for lithium batteries, Maxair fan, etc...  All were fairly simple to work through and I dealt with each issue by contacting manufacturer directly.  Have found it is the path of least resistance on a number of levels.  Sometimes feel like having a new Mercedes but having to reach out to Jensen on a problem with the radio.  As this is my first trailer, my assumption this is just what it takes to tweak in all the different systems on a new unit.  I've often thought that it would be handy for Oliver to supply  all model numbers and serial numbers to help facilitate the process.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

You can get the model info from inside the trailer - no need to get on the roof.  Just pull the filter cover and look inside.  There's a sticker with all the info.

My guess is that if you're hearing it clearly that it's the internal fan.  I can't remember if you can see it with the filter out, but even if not, you might be able to get a hand on it to spin it and see if that's the culprit.  

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

❄️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/27/2021 at 1:53 PM, BackofBeyond said:

And mine just started making noise

Dang it.  Domestic is horrible. I'd bet it doesn't have 30 hours run time.

I'll get up there and look next week 😡

I pulled the shroud today and, sadly, no birds or bees in there.  There is an insulated cover inside and a plastic housing above the impeller that blows air into the trailer.  Didn't have a chance to dig too deep but looks like part #33 from john's diagram, may be rubbing Slightly against something.  Also found a 2" bolt laying loose in that area.  May be at the heart of the problem. 

Will get out again and do some more analytical digging.  Will take Russel's wise words into consideration and pick up some sort of cover for the unit to minimize the chance of critter infiltration.  Am also going to take Overland's suggestion and see if I can figure the problem from inside the trailer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GAP - we have also noticed this fan scraping noise.  we did not notice it last year on our pick-up return trip from TN to ND, which may be a factor.  it is very apparent when the AC turns off, and 6-8-10 "tick-tick-tick" noises before stopping (sounds more like a 3-4 blade propeller, not the squirrel type cages as in JD's provided diagram) prior to that, the rubbing however is masked by the "SLIGHTLY (ha-ha) NOTICEABLE" noise of the thrust of the AC.

i will read-up on it, and figure how to remove internal covering.  i do not think it is insects/birds related, but we will see, when i get the cover off. 

 

Bryan "Scrambled..." Maggie "SNY SD UP"

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II (Twin Setup) Hull #665 | 2010 GMC 1500 Ext-Cab Sierra SLE 

 

ALARILKSKYLAMNMSNENDOKSDTNTXWIsm.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UPDATE- 

Ok - I fixed my POS Dometic AC fan noise.

The squirrel fan that feeds the interior had come loose on its shaft - allowing it to slide back and forth to scrape against the housing  shroud - The tick tic is the fan. An allen set screw had loosened up just enough to allow the fan to slide.  

You need to remove the top side cover 4 Philips screws - then the insulated cover, it slides up, - then the plastic cover, 6 hex head screws.  There are also some plastic tabs that need to be unclipped. The fan shaft will slide back and forth some - but the fan should be tight to the shaft - it should sit flush with the end of the shaft. 

You do not need to remove the interior cover. 

All ok now - jet engine dB's aside.

RB

  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/28/2021 at 9:06 PM, SNY SD UP said:

GAP - we have also noticed this fan scraping noise.  we did not notice it last year on our pick-up return trip from TN to ND, which may be a factor.  it is very apparent when the AC turns off, and 6-8-10 "tick-tick-tick" noises before stopping (sounds more like a 3-4 blade propeller, not the squirrel type cages as in JD's provided diagram) prior to that, the rubbing however is masked by the "SLIGHTLY (ha-ha) NOTICEABLE" noise of the thrust of the AC.

i will read-up on it, and figure how to remove internal covering.  i do not think it is insects/birds related, but we will see, when i get the cover off. 

 

Bryan "Scrambled..." Maggie "SNY SD UP"

So, I figured out and fixed the problem with the air conditioner.  Turns out that the bolt I found came off of one of the two forward facing motor mounts.  This allowed the motor to twist a bit and had the front impeller scraping slightly against part of the plastic AC housing.  The noise was super loud when we first heard it and "clanky" which was probably the impeller scraping the head of the bolt that sat loose, under the blades.  Looks like no damage done.  Reinstalled the bolt and added a nut with a little loctite to both the screw ends so they could not shake their way loose again.  The bolts screw through a rubber doughnut style mount with nothing to hold them in place so I am betting I'm not the only one who has had this problem.  Still plenty loud but that must be the native noise that always comes out of these units.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dometic - we don't try hard, but we buy good companies: and turn them into poor companies.  We set set the standard - as we own almost everything - the consumer is screwed - where you gonna go!

When electric powered flight becomes mainstream - they will put Dometic AC's  on them to simulate jet engine noise, but will only operate - sporadically, instilling unneeded fear in the passengers.

Dometic. A company for all.

RB

Jet engine noise mechanic.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

Maybe a little harsh, but BoB pretty much tells the story. 

They've bought up so many great companies,  with formerly great customer service. Smev. Norcold. Atwood.. Fantastic vents. Becoming the worldwide standard... in marine, as well as rv.

For example, Fantastic used to send you a small part for free, if yours broke. One time, they sent me two knobs, in two slightly different whites, because I  wasn't sure of  the original color. Free. Not even the $2 postage it cost to send me the knobs.

Enter Dometic as new owner.  You can order your Fantastic parts from their website, maybe, if they have them. Usually faster and cheaper qto go through one of the big rv outfits, like Panther. 

I can see why Oliver chose to move to some non dometic suppliers. But, honestly,  I don't know where else you can buy (in America) a reliable supply of ac or cooktop or fridge equipment.  Dometic has bought most of the companies  

 

  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds feel like we have a (loud) ticking time bomb temporarily cooling the trailer.  Oh well, hopefully the inevitable retrofit is easy.  Thanks much on the information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...