If you are selling a used car or trailer privately with “old” tires, should you install new tires first?

John E Davies

Would you rather pay less for a used vehicle with old (serviceable) tires?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. As a BUYER, would you prefer to pay less and replace the tires yourself?

• Yes
    • No

Assuming the tread on the old ones is still decent, and there are no cuts or sidewall issues, does it make sense to put on new tires like the used car dealers do and raise the price by their extra cost? (Keeping in mind that the dealer pays a wholesale price and his shop installs them.) As a buyer, I personally would rather pay a little less for the vehicle, and then install high quality tires of my choosing afterwards. I am getting ready to sell my wife’s cherry 1998 Lexus SC400, it has two sets of wheels and tires, winter and summer, and both sets of (high quality performance) tires are about six years old, in good condition.

Would you rather buy a car or Ollie with old tires for a cheaper price? Thanks for your comments.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

An age old problem that has so many variables that I have a hard time answering.

I too am currently wrestling with a related question since I'm interested in buying a new tow vehicle.  My current 2017 1/2 ton has nothing wrong with it but if I were to keep this truck for another year (or longer due to the current new truck market situation) I'd want to put new tires on it.  An old motorcycle saying is that tires are cheap insurance.  But, that only opens up another potentially confusing avenue of this discussion.

Good luck with your decision!

Bill 

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, Ralph Mawyer said:

John, given the demand for that car and the niche market of buyers, I’d price it high with new Michelin or similar.

BUT, if they present well, just black the sidewalls and move on. 

Thanks, the SC400 is indeed a very desirable car, and the summer wheels and tires look terrific. I think I will just keep them and mention their age in the ad description.

Thanks for voting everybody.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

When I got my Oli, I bought a very low millage 99 F250 SD.  Tires had great tread, but were 2010.  The full size spare was 1998 that had never touch the ground.  Needless to say I spend $1400 for 5 tires on a Thanksgiving deal.   I got the tires that I wanted, with the tread pattern and hardness that I wanted.  

Same thing with my wife car. Got a very low milage Camry. Drove one year on the previous tires and then replaced with tires that I wanted.  We have tons of rain and some snow.  

To me all tires are NOT equal.  I like to spend time finding the right tire for my driving. 

My daily driver 08 Corolla has 290K miles. the current tires will last until 330K.  I retire in 2.9years. That puts me out at 340K on the car.  My last set of tires will most likely NOT be top of the line tires.  Even though the car runs great and uses less than 4oz oil  in 4000 miles, I will probably get rid of it.

• Like 4

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

Since Oliver trailers are on the upper value of many other trailers and there buyers are probably going to buy a trailer that is in very good working condition and reedy to go.  I would sell mine with probably 60/70% tread still on the tires, this does two things, gives the appearance of less use of the trailer and the owner keeps the trailer in very good condition. I realize the question was,  would you buy a trailers that needed new tires, my though is if the tires are worn out, what else does it need. 

trainman 

• Like 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

29 minutes ago, Trainman said:

I realize the question was,  would you buy a trailers that needed new tires, my though is if the tires are worn out, what else does it need. 

I think you completely misread my post. I am not talking about tread wear or visible damage, I am talking about age. Worn (unsafe)  tires would indeed send the wrong signal to a buyer, and I agree that would be a huge mistake. But tires that appear to be fine, but are just old, that is the question. The tire stores tell you that after six to ten years they should be replaced due to hardening, possible sidewall or hidden cord damage, etc. 

I replaced the “brand new” spare tire in our 1998 SC400 two years ago, the wheel had never been mounted on the car, but the tire date was from 1997😳 I would not trust a tire that is over twenty years old, not even for a few miles. I see Craigslist ads for “like new” snow tires, and the first thing I would ask the seller is, what is the date code ? Are they indeed like new, or have they been sitting in a barn forever?

I hate seeing a used car with brand new crap tires, it is just a waste of the buyer’s money.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

I'd say, depends on your target market. Folks like us would rather buy and choose our own tires. 

My daughter was thrilled when I complained about one curb scraped tire on her late model used jeep, and got the dealer to replace the full set, at no additional cost. $1000 out of pocket to a young person, vs picky older folks like many of us, with discretionary income, are two different markets. 

In your case, I'd probably price it including a new set of tires, advertise it with the good but older tires, and be prepared to drop the price $1k to cover a new set. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.