Oliver trailer cover

John Welte

On 3/11/2022 at 3:59 PM, John Welte said:

If you have the lithium batteries like we're planning to get when we pick up in November,  do you have to do battery cycling to keep them healthy? 

I asked Dragon about storing their Battleborns for 8+ months where temps could get down to -10F for short periods, but for sure below 32 degrees for at least 4 months.  Their response was NOT to put their Battleborns on a charger.  Rather, fully charge the battery bank, then deplete them to a SOC of 50 to 60%.  Turn off the master switch to ENSURE no battery draw.  

Caution:  Check with the specific manufacturer about winter storage.  There are significantly different approaches between them.  One size approach does not fit all.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 3/11/2022 at 11:14 PM, Steph and Dud B said:

Batteries should be at 50% state of charge if being stored

So.... be sure to use them down to that level, I guess? I will be storing but I'm in the tropics, practically speaking. I am planning to cover my Oliver with that Calmark cover, because finding covered storage space is difficult and expensive. 

• Like 1

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYMONENDOKSDTNWYDDDDDDmed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2022 at 11:59 AM, BeauDog said:

I have been interested in this topic for some time, because we are considering purchasing a Calmark cover for our 2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II which will be delivered in late fall of this year. 

Movement does create abrasion and wear - on both the cover and the TT finish.  In a windy area, even a well-secured cover will flap against the TT to some extent.  Have any of you who store your TT outside noticed abrasion and wear on the finish of your Oliver caused by movement of the Calmark cover?   

I have not removed my cover yet but I will within the next couple of weeks and will report any wear issues to the Oliver.  I don't expect any primarily because of how light the cover is.  When it was incredibly windy the cover would move slightly despite being cinched down pretty well.  Even with this, I'm not anticipating any wear to the trailer.  Can't over emphasize the need for pool noodles (or something similar) for the sharp corners like the solar.  The cover will wear in those spots without them.

• Like 4

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

I used fitted foam rubber corner guards that they make to protect toddlers from bashing into sharp corners of furniture.  They have "peel and stick" adhesive that was easy to remove when I took the cover off last week.  They work great on the corners of the solar panels.  I am sure that they would also do well on the sharp corners of the rear bumper. I had some rubber gasket material laying about that I used in conjunction with gorilla tape on the bumper because I could only find four corner guards at my hardware store.

• Like 3

Mike and Yasuko

2021 Legacy Elite Hull #820 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, LongStride said:

I had some rubber gasket material laying about that I used in conjunction with gorilla tape on the bumper because I could only find four corner guards at my hardware store.

Using pool noodles and a couple of zip ties solved this problem for me.

P1020586.JPG

• Like 7

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

And you can recycle them year after year too!

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

And you can recycle them year after year too!

Absolutely!

I've been using the ones from the bumper for 6 years now.  However, the original pool noodles I used on the solar panels gave out after about 4 years.  So, I replaced them with a set of larger diameter ones I was able to purchase at the end of the pool season last year for less than 1/2 price.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I do mine the old fashion way, I wash it every month and buff if once a years with an auto buffer and the correct fiberglass compounds for buffing. I do admit that a cover would be much easier to deal with, but why change the way I do thing now at my age. 

trainman

• Like 3

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

13 hours ago, Trainman said:

I do mine the old fashion way, I wash it every month and buff if once a years with an auto buffer and the correct fiberglass compounds for buffing. 

Would you mind describing those compounds? I now have a Dewalt 20v random orbit polisher and would like to polish the Ollie - it is in great shape so I only need a fine finish compound. I already have automotive polishes, but I know they are not aggressive enough. 

Edit - I just read this article, maybe I don’t want to do this with my polisher…  can you comment?

https://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/boat-buffer.html

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.