Renogy 100w portable solar panel question ?

2015 LE2; roof top solar package (340w I think, 2000w inverter); NO solar port on the side

This isn't an Oliver issue, I don't think. However, I'm wondering if anyone else is doing this setup and can offer any troubleshooting tips.

I used to connect this Renogy 100w portable solar suitcase panel (Voyager series with 20amp charge controller) to our Casita through the 7pin connector to charge the wet cell battery. We had created a set of connections that got the MC4 connector on the solar panel to a 7pin connector that could plug into the trailer's 7pin. No problems.  I am trying to do the same for our Oliver.  I need to change the battery type setting to AGM for the Oliver setup.  When I set the portable solar panel up in the sun, and connect to the Oliver through the 7pin I get the error code of "b01", which indicates no battery connected.

I haven't found any online resource solution that has fixed the issue.

I am trying to do this to allow for battery recharge when parked in shade. 

I know it has and can be done because I've read through the forum and seen others who have done similar.  I am trying to determine if there is something different about the Oliver that doesn't allow for the same connection setup that we had on our Casita. OR if there is something "broken" on the Renogy panel.

Any input, and tips, greatly appreciated.

Alberta

Alberta & Randy

2015 LE II / 2018 F150 3.5L XLT EcoBoost

I use a similar setup that you describe on our Oliver.  I use a 140 watt Zamp portable panel that has a charge controller built in, and connect to the 7 pin harness with an adapter I made.  It’s worked well with no problems.  The positive 12v charge wire on the 7 pin harness connects directly to the batteries.   If you have an electrical multi-meter, you may want to check to make sure you are using the proper pins on the 7 pin connector, and that there is continuity between the 7 pin 12v charge wire contact and the battery positive terminal.   There is a 20 amp breaker on the 12v charge wire (see wiring diagram) so you may want to check that.   Ours is a 2019, so I can’t guarantee that your wire color codes are the same.

7C3C77EE-C4C9-4ACD-AE10-274ED6BE62AF.jpeg

717CA770-023C-4341-9078-71FCD11517B2.jpeg

• Like 1

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #461

Tow Vehicles:

Primary - 2019 Ford F-250

Backup - 2019 Nissan Armada 

visited-united-states-map.jpg

Use the supplied alligator clips to hook your suitcase solar panel directly to the batteries. Or to your truck battery…. That will tell you immediately whether or not it is working correctly.

FYI Oliver’s seven pin harness wire color codes are different, but the actual pin functions are industry standard. If you don’t have a meter as FrankC suggests, get one, since you will have other uses for it in the future. It would be very easy to connect the meter leads to the charge and ground pins, hook up your panel to the trailer batteries, and watch for the voltage rise. 

I suspect you have  a wiring problem in the trailer, as long as your Renogy panel is working.

You might want to look at this, it shows the (very awkward) location where your front wire harness splices into the trailer wiring. … https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5271-how-to-junction-box-for-the-7-wire-trailer-harness-under-the-front-dinette-seat/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel.

Thanks FrankC for the description of your setup, it helped. I've uploaded a photo I took of using the multi meter to test the 7pin readout.  I know I'm going to get the terminology wrong here but hopeful you can still follow my description, especially with the picture. I used the top left 7pin contact as the positive and the bottom right contact as the ground, to take the meter reading.  I believe that is the number 4 and number 1 positions on a 7 pin diagram I saw on another thread (sorry, can't locate immediately).

The meter reading fluctuated around 460-470 mV (see photo below).  I don't know what a correct reading should be.  We have 4 (210Ah) AGM 6 volt batteries that are connected in parallel (two on the left in parallel and the two on the right in parallel) and then those two sets of parallels are connected in series. Which should be 12 volt battery with 420Ah. So....I said all of this battery description case it's useful for saying what the correct 7pin reading should be on the multi meter.

Based on my burgeoning knowledge of electrical stuff - I'm thinking the solar panel troubleshooting guide is telling me that the battery voltage is < 3 volts and based on the multi meter reading that is a true statement.  But I don't understand why that would be. Or what it should be.

I don't know what or how to check the 20V amp breaker. There are three 2 amp breakers. One of them is labeled "Charger". Not sure what that is for.  Is there a meter reading I can do there also?

Thanks, Alberta

Forum_multimeterReading.jpg

Alberta & Randy

Your AGMs should read about 12.5 volts “resting” (no load) depending on their state of charge, the solar panel bumps that up to about 14.5. You need to look inside your 7 pin connector, to make sure it isn’t nasty inside from corrosion, which is very common.

John Daves

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

30 minutes ago, Alberta and Randy said:

Thanks FrankC for the description of your setup, it helped. I've uploaded a photo I took of using the multi meter to test the 7pin readout.  I know I'm going to get the terminology wrong here but hopeful you can still follow my description, especially with the picture. I used the top left 7pin contact as the positive and the bottom right contact as the ground, to take the meter reading.  I believe that is the number 4 and number 1 positions on a 7 pin diagram I saw on another thread (sorry, can't locate immediately).

The meter reading fluctuated around 460-470 mV (see photo below).  I don't know what a correct reading should be.  We have 4 (210Ah) AGM 6 volt batteries that are connected in parallel (two on the left in parallel and the two on the right in parallel) and then those two sets of parallels are connected in series. Which should be 12 volt battery with 420Ah. So....I said all of this battery description case it's useful for saying what the correct 7pin reading should be on the multi meter.

Based on my burgeoning knowledge of electrical stuff - I'm thinking the solar panel troubleshooting guide is telling me that the battery voltage is < 3 volts and based on the multi meter reading that is a true statement.  But I don't understand why that would be. Or what it should be.

I don't know what or how to check the 20V amp breaker. There are three 2 amp breakers. One of them is labeled "Charger". Not sure what that is for.  Is there a meter reading I can do there also?

Thanks, Alberta

Forum_multimeterReading.jpg

You should see a voltage reading value the same as what shows on the battery display inside the camper.   Here’s mine using my museum piece 40 year old Fluke meter, still works, it’ll probably outlast me 🙂.  Currently at 12.5 volts, not connected to shore power or solar panel at the moment (I have the lead acid wet cells).   

2135AD08-00DC-4DFB-9B08-F35E8349A508.jpeg

Tow Vehicles:

I did a direct reading on the battery terminals and got 13.7.  So the 7pin reading should be the same.  I will study John's link with the additional 7pin information and see what I can learn from that and troubleshoot on our rig.  There certainly seems to be a disconnect with the 7pin plug somewhere.

Alberta & Randy

Open up the male 7 pin housing first thing !!! Most likely the problem is in there. First eliminate the obvious, them worry about any more obscure causes.

John Davies

Spokane WA

41 minutes ago, FrankC said:

40 year old Fluke meter

Small world.

I was a voltmeter product manager at Fluke in 1978-82 for that handheld DVM (and other products) that Frank C showed. 
It was designed with tests including driving over it with a fork lift to see if we could squish the case.
The person who was our mechanical designer iterated several times until it stood up to our abuse goals.
I still have (and operate) Prototype 004 at home.

CS

• Like 4

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

Amazon Oliver Outfitters Guide:  https://amzn.to/2mAAgPO

ALAZCAFLGAIDILINKSKYLAMIMNMSMOMTNENMNCOR

8 minutes ago, Galway Girl said:

Small world.

I was a voltmeter product manager at Fluke in 1978-82 for that handheld DVM (and other products) that Frank C showed. 
It was designed with tests including driving over it with a fork lift to see if we could squish the case.
The person who was our mechanical designer iterated several times until it stood up to our abuse goals.
I still have (and operate) Prototype 004 at home.

CS

Definitely a small world!  Thank you for a great product!   That Fluke meter is built like a tank.   I firmly believe my son will still be using it another 40 years from now. 

• Like 1

Tow Vehicles: