Pepwave Cellular Router Installation

Wildbrew

4 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Think HARD about which cable management device you select. Many are overkill and require a large opening. Models suggested here require square or rectangular openings.

My plans is/was to use this bulkhead fitting through the roof as a cable guide and into a utility box on the roof. If this fits in the Icotec 90 degree fitting, I’m golden! Just a drilled hole through the outer hull into the attic. 

https://a.co/d/0anCrU1v

Edited by Steve Morris
  • Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
40 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

My plans is/was to use this bulkhead fitting through the roof as a cable guide and into a utility box on the roof...

Personally, I believe the utility box install is extreme overkill. We are NOT installing a 5KW inverter with 1800W solar system in a Class-A, not by any means! Are you needing a 1 1/2" conduit for another half-dozen future rooftop additions, NOT! Please think about the simple realities.

I installed solar on a previously owned RV, by merely drilling two (2) 1/4" holes through the roof, for the two (+/-) 10 AWG solar panel feeds. No box, no Icotech entry solutions, just two simple 1/4" holes and a drip of Dicor on each, still working today, with no leaks. Or you can mount a big-@ss box. You can imagine what my choice would be! 🤣

It's up to you, do you want to mount a 6x10" box and blow two tubes of Dicor all over the roof of your beautiful Oliver?  BTW, a rectangular junction box does not fit nicely on the curved roof of the Oliver!

Most professional installers are young and inexperienced and it's up to you to make the best decisions for your assets. When the guy doesn't agree with you, just hire a new guy.

Sorry @Wildbrew although your install is yes BEAUTIFUL, a work of art, and you should truly be proud of your exceptional work, it's simply overkill! Could be done with no platform and no large rooftop box. (Still love your work yet hoping to advise many others that less is more).

We are to each our own, yet simple is often better. Think hard about your decision. I did my truck mount install in two days, not a single drill hole into our Oliver, just sayin'!

I was working my job last week, teaching my online PMP class when Sparklight went down, resulting in no household Internet. While my students were waiting for just a minute or so, I connected to our truck-based Pepwave cellular router Wi-Fi, with T-Mobile 5G cellular service only missing a heartbeat or two. They had no idea I was gone for a minute. My truck-based Internet service is my also my business back-up internet service, without an installation hole in the Oliver! 😂

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

@rich.dev, I was thinking again about running the 12VDC to the closet and knew there was a good example of this. Also, running DC lines from there, you could add a dedicated fuse for the router in the DC fuse panel and eliminate the inline fuse in the wiring. 

Note the description and pictures on page one, where Art @MAX Burner fishes two large 4AWG cables from the dinette to the bathroom vanity:

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jd, I like the idea of mounting the router in the closet where it will not take up usable space, but you also now have me really thinking/considdering doing the TV install, only problem is the Peplink Mobilty 42G does not have the magnet mounting option, so I would have to mount it on the fibreglass cap!

I will have delivery of the Max BR1 Pro 5G and antenna in 3-4 wks, so I have some time to mull it over.

How is the reception inside your trailer with the router inside the TV?

Edit: Bummer, just realised the TV install will not work, we have Blink cameras on the Oliver that we want to be able to monitor when away from it!

Edited by rich.dev
  • Like 1

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

32 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

How is the reception inside your trailer with the router inside the TV?

Edit: Bummer, just realized the TV install will not work, we have Blink cameras on the Oliver that we want to be able to monitor when away from it!

Reception is great because these 7-way antennas have 4 cellular antennas for receiving signal, one GPS antenna and 2 Wi-Fi antennas to send signal to your devices. The Oliver being mostly fiberglass construction allows radio waves to pass through (will NOT work with a metal-clad Air Stream where they would install a wired access point internal to the TT regardless of antenna location).

@rideadeuce Mike is having an issue with coverage in the TV. He has a 5-way Cradlepoint antenna mounted on the rear of the Oliver. Your idea of mounting to the front awning bracket should be the best mounting location on the Oliver, except for taking a lot of headwinds, so mount it securely.

Keep in mind the Wi-Fi signal originates in the router, but is broadcasted via the antenna, so mounted inside a closet or wherever does not matter except for it needing some, not a lot, of ventilation. Also, I mounted my router with 3M VHB 4950 tape. The only drilled hole you need in the installation is through the roof for the cables.

The Icotek entry solution you were looking at could be installed by drilling two holes with a hole saw vs. cutting a rectangular opening. You only need the double grommet version with four 5mm holes in each and one plug. The cut-out size on this item is 43 × 24 mm. I'd bet 2x a 7/8" hole saw would be perfect! VHB the housing onto the roof and caulk the perimeter. 90 Degree Cable Entry Frame - 2 Socket - 73mm x 53mm – MobileMustHave.com

Your last edit sentence finally gave me a reason for mounting the router in the Oliver! Thank you for that. There is one downside though, depending on where you travel. Out here we camp in many canyons without cell service. So, you would not be able to connect the Blink cameras anyway. When this occurs, we run the TV out of the canyon on a day trip and connect, use our laptops, etc.

The Pepwave router also has the WAN input to add Starlink or like service. If you were to go this route, you would nearly always be connected. Mike also did a nice Starlink antenna install up front and he ran the cable all the way back on the roof. You could do the same front install and run that cable down the same entry point.

If this upgrade may be in your future, buy this Icotek instead and drill 3 holes. Use a grommet plug until you need the 3rd opening: 90 Degree Cable Entry Frame - 3 Socket - 100mm x 53mm – MobileMustHave.com 

• Like 1

Interesting solution @Wildbrew for getting the WIFI over and around the Penguin. As @jd1923 stated I do not have great reception in my TV because the PII blocks it. Mine is in the same spot just not elevated. Because of this, I am seriously considering putting the Cradlepoint and the antenna in the front closet since there is a power outlet it would be simple -- just another hole in the roof. Ugh. 

But what @rich.dev said is the reason I keep everything in the Oliver is to keep it connected to the outside world. No matter where I am in the world I can check the temperature, change heat and air settings, monitor cameras, get alerts if it moves, etc. 

Best,

Mike

• Like 1

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

3 hours ago, rideadeuce said:

Interesting solution @Wildbrew for getting the WIFI over and around the Penguin. As @jd1923 stated I do not have great reception in my TV because the PII blocks it. Mine is in the same spot just not elevated. Because of this, I am seriously considering putting the Cradlepoint and the antenna in the front closet since there is a power outlet it would be simple -- just another hole in the roof. Ugh. 

But what @rich.dev said is the reason I keep everything in the Oliver is to keep it connected to the outside world. No matter where I am in the world I can check the temperature, change heat and air settings, monitor cameras, get alerts if it moves, etc. 

Best,

Mike

Apparently my installation offends some people’s sense of aesthetics but I had solid reasons for choosing the components that I did.  After 2 years and many thousands of miles, I’m still very happy with the results.  We continue to have very usable internet access in places where other people struggle to find one bar on their phones.  In fact, when we’re at home, I run an Ethernet cable from the Oliver into the house and use the Pepwave router to supplement the marginal DSL service available in our area.  (The 5G is much faster, especially on upload speeds than the DSL, I just have to be mindful of the data limits of the two cellular plans that we have).  Oh, and no leaks despite NOT using two tubes of dicor… 😉 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

On 6/27/2024 at 1:11 AM, jd1923 said:

Or you can mount a big-@ss box. You can imagine what my choice would be! 🤣

It's up to you, do you want to mount a 6x10" box and blow two tubes of Dicor all over the roof of your beautiful Oliver?  BTW, a rectangular junction box does not fit nicely on the curved roof of the Oliver!

Most professional installers are young and inexperienced and it's up to you to make the best decisions for your assets. When the guy doesn't agree with you, just hire a new guy.

Overreact much?

I received the IcoTek 90° cable entry kit from MMH today. It's going to work great, and I won't need a box. I'm going to test drill different diameter holes in some thin plywood, and see how small I can go and still get all seven wires through. Then I'll go with the next larger size that I can find a grommet for. Antenna will be on a mast bracket hanging from the rear awning mount.

As previously noted, my Pepwave MAX BR1 Pro is in the attic, and currently using the stub antennas. Yesterday I added a second SIM card from T-Mobile that I got through FMCA. Three months free (from my Mobile Internet Resource Center membership) gives us time to compare it with the Verizon plan through MMH. The router feeds my Apple TV and UefyCam security camera hub via Ethernet, and our phones, tablets, and Sonos Move via wifi. Later I'll add remote temperature sensing and hopefully a full Victron setup.

The router and antenna on the tow vehicle may work for you, JD, and is an easy install. But I don't have a truck, and have no intention of poking holes in my lifelong dream SUV. And, I have devices that I want to be always connected, and that wouldn't be the case with the system in the TV. There are options we can all chose, and just because I'm not doing it like you, doesn't warrant that haranguing...

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve Morris said:

I received the IcoTek 90° cable entry kit from MMH today

Nice, which one did you get Steve?

I ordered the KEL-FG-ER-B4 (Part# 42344) with: 
1 x 4-hole grommet KT 4/ø5mm grey/part # 39908
1 x 2-hole grommet KT 2/ø5mm grey/part # 41200
1 x 1-hole grommet KT ø2-3mm grey/part # 39934
1 x 1-hole grommet KT ø1-2mm grey/part # 39941 (just in case the 39934 hole is too big for the GPS wire) and 1 x Blank grommet Part # 41251

image.thumb.jpeg.64a50693bec13728872c60648f0753d0.jpeg

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

On 6/26/2024 at 8:55 PM, Steve Morris said:

My plans is/was to use this bulkhead fitting through the roof as a cable guide and into a utility box on the roof.

On 6/26/2024 at 10:11 PM, jd1923 said:

It's up to you, do you want to mount a 6x10" box and blow two tubes of Dicor all over the roof of your beautiful Oliver?

On 6/27/2024 at 12:03 PM, jd1923 said:

The Icotek entry solution you were looking at could be installed by drilling two holes with a hole saw...

7 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

Overreact much

I received the IcoTek 90° cable entry kit from MMH today. It's going to work great, and I won't need a box.

Always trying to help, never meaning to offend, regardless the passion of my wordings. 😟 I guess I made my point though.

The truck installation was actually a bit more complex than the obvious attic location, where you have ample room and pre-wired 12VDC. I just got mine done in two days after thinking it through for a few weeks and waiting on parts.

It's far superior for me, since we use the truck all year and the Oliver some 30-40 days. I offered my example as an idea for others on our Forum. It made no sense to me to spend $1600 in parts and $50 monthly for a 5G business plan, to use it only 10% of the year. It's OK we have our own reasons and go different directions.

I'm not interested in remote monitoring of our Oliver, since when we're not traveling, it's parked safely on my property. I learned here that is an important consideration to others. I hope another suggestion I made here re the closet installation will help other Oliver Owners too, for better reception in the TV. Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rich.dev said:

Nice, which one did you get Steve?

I ordered the KEL-FG-ER-B4 (Part# 42344) with: 
1 x 4-hole grommet KT 4/ø5mm grey/part # 39908
1 x 2-hole grommet KT 2/ø5mm grey/part # 41200
1 x 1-hole grommet KT ø2-3mm grey/part # 39934
1 x 1-hole grommet KT ø1-2mm grey/part # 39941 (just in case the 39934 hole is too big for the GPS wire) and 1 x Blank grommet Part # 41251

image.thumb.jpeg.64a50693bec13728872c60648f0753d0.jpeg

I got it from MMH, but looks like the same bits and pieces, except I have a blank instead of the 2-3 to fill the last opening.

Screenshot2024-07-02at9_48_26AM.thumb.png.b9d278b8265056a2c26f6555d6f588d1.png

• Like 1

-----
Facebook - Instagram

map.jpg