Frosted door window change to clear glass.

Katjo

• Moderator+
On 8/9/2022 at 6:06 PM, Patriot said:

. “Every picture tells a story” a famous song by a British singer you guess who?
Ha ..so here goes- 

Rod Stewart

I guess this proves most don’t actually read every word in long posts. I know I’ve been guilty. 

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

8 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Rod Stewart

I guess this proves most don’t actually read every word in long posts. I know I’ve been guilty. 

That’s it!!! 😊👍🏻 Ha…I have been guilty as well. 

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

I will attest to the fact that when replacing the glass, you might as well resign yourself to the fact that you'll probably end up replacing at least the inside frame.

The inside frame is where the female tab (two serrated wings which ride over the square male post) are located.  Regardless of how careful you are using the provided spreader clips, invariably, several of the wings will break off.  In my case, six of them broke.  

I am not replacing the outside frame as new caulking is provided with the Zarcor kit and the outside frame is undamaged when separating the two halfs.

If you don't want to mess with dealing with Lippert (window manufacturer), Zarcor has the frames in stock.  I paid about $23 for the inside frame.

If I were to do this again, I'd go ahead and order the inside frame moulding when I ordered the window.  My guess is you could return it if you didn't need it.  At least you'd have the part in hand if you did break some of the tabs thus finishing the project in relatively short order vice having to stop and order another piece.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

On 8/19/2022 at 7:22 AM, hobo said:

I will attest to the fact that when replacing the glass, you might as well resign yourself to the fact that you'll probably end up replacing at least the inside frame.

The inside frame is where the female tab (two serrated wings which ride over the square male post) are located.  Regardless of how careful you are using the provided spreader clips, invariably, several of the wings will break off.  In my case, six of them broke.  

I am not replacing the outside frame as new caulking is provided with the Zarcor kit and the outside frame is undamaged when separating the two halfs.

If you don't want to mess with dealing with Lippert (window manufacturer), Zarcor has the frames in stock.  I paid about $23 for the inside frame.

If I were to do this again, I'd go ahead and order the inside frame moulding when I ordered the window.  My guess is you could return it if you didn't need it.  At least you'd have the part in hand if you did break some of the tabs thus finishing the project in relatively short order vice having to stop and order another piece.

UPDATE ALSO:  In the installation videos they show the outside frame should be taped to keep it in place.  DO IT!  

I thought I would defy the local wisdom and simply hold the glass and frame in place while removing the old glass and putting in the new:  Well two things happened (neither of which were good). 

First, while trying to push the new window firmly into the outside frame (to compress the caulking while seating the glass, I loosened up the outer frame thereby requiring I remove the outer frame from the door and re-caulk it since I broke the bead.

Second reason for the tape is to hold the new glass in place while you are messing with trying to snap the inner and out frames together.  I again learned a valuable lesson because when it was all over and done, it appears the glass slipped down slightly which has caused the inner frame to be slightly warped which prevents me from putting in the tightly fitted shade.  Once you put the new glass in place, recommend you apply duct tape to it to keep it in position while you're wrestling with the frames.

That said, I am now faced with taking the inner frame apart from the outer frame (praying I don't break any of the tabs on my newly purchased inner frame) and then removing and re-caulking the new glass and essentially doing the project twice.

• Thanks 3
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderators

@hobo, it takes a big person to admit error and help others. Thanks so much for the guidance. You'll undoubtedly save others from similar issues.

• Like 5

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.