Jump to content

Frosted door window change to clear glass.


Katjo
 Share

Recommended Posts

I really don’t like that I can’t see out the door window when the door is shut. 
Does anyone that has changed their frosted window to clear have a recommendation/link to the specific clear glass/frame that fits the Oliver door?
 

  • Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put a clear tinted window from Lippert in our Oliver entry door made by Lippert. I called Lippert and talked to a real person (Sandra Berg) and told her what I wanted to do. She asked for some numbers off of the door to make sure I ordered the correct parts.

AD53F92D-0F6A-498F-96D5-9291C6E07C14.thumb.jpeg.3cce2bfbb60e6c09d3ec2b592bcbce76.jpeg
 

Be sure to order the “snap in window release clips”. They are supposed to expand the tabs that secure the inside frame to the outside frame but I still had to break several tabs to get them to release, so you’ll also need a new inside and outside frame.

38CA092E-0DCD-4BE7-953A-0DB464AD48EA.thumb.jpeg.770b0ca2d5303be469022f146c370b22.jpeg

 

F17DADD0-EECB-4064-99B8-DFE323EDC09A.thumb.jpeg.181ad36a30da5fc151c3351ff973198b.jpeg

 

9F4C6DE0-42FC-4AE6-BBE5-1BD544DD5F63.thumb.jpeg.eac71dc56b50c71cb6921ba12950c6e5.jpeg

 

78A1D753-500B-4C12-BED2-C50A75AF4331.thumb.jpeg.b900faae1e6ede2f7dacb3584db1db4d.jpeg

 

You will want to use new frames anyway so that you have good seals 

 

DADA420B-8D15-4299-9BB6-6F85F2AB06A7.thumb.jpeg.efb01d8ef55db55f91d463e783088bd7.jpeg

 

 

 

 

Parts I ended up using for hull 313

706073 GLASS; DARK TINT - G20; 13.25 X 22.24 TEMPERED

429436 SNAP-IN WINDOW CLIPS; 16 PCS KIT

716156 WINDOW FRAME; LOW PROFILE W /SEAL; 15 X 24 OUTER - WHT


716157 WINDOW FRAME; LOW PROFILE; 15 X 24 INNER - WHT

 

71202EB6-F3A9-4532-8F68-212E943B0B3C.thumb.jpeg.34c5b15860373c438ccafe5df56e7010.jpeg

 

CE50EE6E-2DA7-4E28-99D8-12483BBFBF9A.thumb.jpeg.32f2d0d900ff9d62758fb3cbb320886f.jpeg

  • Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

We swapped out our frosted glass for a clear several years ago and installed the Zarcor window shade.  Do a search, I posted a bunch of photos as did others.  We’ve been very happy with it.  Mike

  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Townesw said:

I put a clear tinted window from Lippert in our Oliver entry door made by Lippert. I called Lippert and talked to a real person (Sandra Berg) and told her what I wanted to do. She asked for some numbers off of the door to make sure I ordered the correct parts.

AD53F92D-0F6A-498F-96D5-9291C6E07C14.thumb.jpeg.3cce2bfbb60e6c09d3ec2b592bcbce76.jpeg
 

Be sure to order the “snap in window release clips”. They are supposed to expand the tabs that secure the inside frame to the outside frame but I still had to break several tabs to get them to release, so you’ll also need a new inside and outside frame.

38CA092E-0DCD-4BE7-953A-0DB464AD48EA.thumb.jpeg.770b0ca2d5303be469022f146c370b22.jpeg

 

F17DADD0-EECB-4064-99B8-DFE323EDC09A.thumb.jpeg.181ad36a30da5fc151c3351ff973198b.jpeg

 

9F4C6DE0-42FC-4AE6-BBE5-1BD544DD5F63.thumb.jpeg.eac71dc56b50c71cb6921ba12950c6e5.jpeg

 

78A1D753-500B-4C12-BED2-C50A75AF4331.thumb.jpeg.b900faae1e6ede2f7dacb3584db1db4d.jpeg

 

You will want to use new frames anyway so that you have good seals 

 

DADA420B-8D15-4299-9BB6-6F85F2AB06A7.thumb.jpeg.efb01d8ef55db55f91d463e783088bd7.jpeg

 

 

 

 

Parts I ended up using for hull 313

706073 GLASS; DARK TINT - G20; 13.25 X 22.24 TEMPERED

429436 SNAP-IN WINDOW CLIPS; 16 PCS KIT

716156 WINDOW FRAME; LOW PROFILE W /SEAL; 15 X 24 OUTER - WHT


716157 WINDOW FRAME; LOW PROFILE; 15 X 24 INNER - WHT

 

71202EB6-F3A9-4532-8F68-212E943B0B3C.thumb.jpeg.34c5b15860373c438ccafe5df56e7010.jpeg

 

CE50EE6E-2DA7-4E28-99D8-12483BBFBF9A.thumb.jpeg.32f2d0d900ff9d62758fb3cbb320886f.jpeg

@Townesw Oh my goodness this is so helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all the photos and the exact information I was looking for.❤️

  • Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, NCeagle said:

@Katjo, check this site out:   https://www.zarcor.com/rv_products/rv-door-window-kit/

There are several options from tinted to clear glass.  Several owners have made this modification, so if you search the forum for "zarcor" you should find lots of good info.

Cheers!

@NCeagle Thank you👍🏼

  • Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Katjo said:

@Townesw Oh my goodness this is so helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all the photos and the exact information I was looking for.❤️

 

4 minutes ago, Katjo said:

@Townesw Oh my goodness this is so helpful! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all the photos and the exact information I was looking for.❤️

@JVAJAMS 

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

We swapped out our frosted glass for a clear several years ago and installed the Zarcor window shade.  Do a search, I posted a bunch of photos as did others.  We’ve been very happy with it.  Mike

  • Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Katjo
Here is my Zarcor window shade write up for anyone interested - we reeeeeally like this mod. 😊

I highly recommend if your going to the trouble to change out the glass, take it to the next level and add the blind it’s a good safety mod allowing you to see who is knocking. 👍🏻
 

 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634   TV -2021 F 350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate “Tremor”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too installed a clear (tinted) window from Zarcor in the door last week. Window installation went smoothly. Love being able to see outside. I have not yet installed the window shade, as there was a part missing (which Zarcor promptly sent). 
 

John at Zarcor mentioned that he would like to make an installation video specific to Oliver trailers. If anyone in or around Dallas would like a clear or tinted window with windowshade, he will install one for free as long as he can make the video.  Just give him a call (Zarcor website with contact info was listed above). Feel free to mention that Christian (aka Fritz) from Idaho posted this on the forum. 

  • Like 3

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am surprised OTT uses frosted glass on their entry door. Are there people that prefer not ever being able to see through the glass? Why would they not offer glass to match the other windows. If they wanted to add blinds/shades to them that would be nice. However, the frosted glass would not be preferred by Carrie and I. We are usually in the wilderness and privacy is not an issue. I guess we will be preforming this modification after we pick up our trailer in December. 

Thanks for all the information. 

Kirk

  • Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, 8 foot bed with overland conversion.

Elite 2 before the end of 2022!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
40 minutes ago, Kirk Peterson said:

I am surprised OTT uses frosted glass on their entry door. Are there people that prefer not ever being able to see through the glass? Why would they not offer glass to match the other windows. If they wanted to add blinds/shades to them that would be nice. However, the frosted glass would not be preferred by Carrie and I. We are usually in the wilderness and privacy is not an issue. I guess we will be preforming this modification after we pick up our trailer in December. 

I think for most people privacy is an issue.  With no shade, it might be uncomfortable for some to have a clear window that folks at a campground could see through, especially at night. Mike

  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

We hang a shirt or jacket over the head bump cushion, in our 2008. I made a curtain, used it a few times, and went back to the shirt. 

  • Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

We hang a shirt or jacket over the head bump cushion,

That’s similar to what we always did in our past trailer. Works great. Easy and blocks light for trying to sleep in. Might be in our future again, after modification.  

  • Like 2

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, 8 foot bed with overland conversion.

Elite 2 before the end of 2022!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Kirk Peterson said:

That’s similar to what we always did in our past trailer. Works great. Easy and blocks light for trying to sleep in. Might be in our future again, after modification.  

If I were going to go to the work to change our for clear glass, I'd "probably " go for the interior shade upgrade above. I do like your thinking. 

Has anyone installed the Zarcor " upside down,"  so that you could pull down the shade from the top? Or, how does that work?

If I went to the trouble of changing the window, I'd like to be able to just look out the top inch or so. Does it operate with the screen door closed and locked, with the door locked?

  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Zarcor shade does not slide up-down like the other Oliver shades. The Zarcor shade consists of 2 sheets of flexible plastic with vertical stripes about 1/2” wide alternating with clear material. One sheet is fixed in place on the window, the other slides side to side. When the stripes are aligned (on top of one another), you can see through the clear portions (about half of the window area).  When the blind is is in the closed position, the stripes collectively block the view through the window. Quite clever, really. However, I may devise a small removable curtain on the inside of the screen door so that when the window is open it is completely open.

  • Like 2

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

If I were going to go to the work to change our for clear glass, I'd "probably " go for the interior shade upgrade above. I do like your thinking. 

Has anyone installed the Zarcor " upside down,"  so that you could pull down the shade from the top? Or, how does that work?

If I went to the trouble of changing the window, I'd like to be able to just look out the top inch or so. Does it operate with the screen door closed and locked, with the door locked?

The Zarcor blind has a little tiny lever at the bottom of the windows edge on the inside which you push left or right and it flips the mini blinds from open to closed. It’s nice to close for privacy or if you need to block out unwanted CG lights. The blinds are vertical so the all open when you slide the little lever. It will operate with the screen door and door locked by just sliding the plastic access panel open to the main door. Our screen door has no lock. “Every picture tells a story” a famous song by a British singer you guess who?
Ha ..so here goes-

 

4D6C3508-74D9-47EF-8B4A-503B7D8BF1C0.thumb.jpeg.1386f45ff914c85ab72ba064ccc70e88.jpeg

Blind now closed. You can see the off white access handle with the little knob. You slide this left to right to open and close the blind. The access door to the main door is open. 

510F19E1-502B-414F-A360-0715C6D855D6.thumb.jpeg.b872a4e658fd24f9a1492266fa2880bc.jpeg
Blind open and handle pushed to the left.  Access door closed. 

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634   TV -2021 F 350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate “Tremor”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, SeaDawg said:

Thank you, @Patriot. Those photos really help.

You are welcome! I like photos and I think we all do! 😊 

  • Thanks 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634   TV -2021 F 350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate “Tremor”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
35 minutes ago, Patriot said:

You are welcome! I like photos and I think we all do! 😊 

Yes, we do! So helpful!

The other brand that folks installed couldn't be operated from the closed screen door. Useless, imo. Who wants to open the door, to operate the blind?

Thank you, very much.

I could see operating your blind from the side, and squinting out. 

  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

Yes, we do! So helpful!

The other brand that folks installed couldn't be operated from the closed screen door. Useless, imo. Who wants to open the door, to operate the blind?

Thank you, very much.

I could see operating your blind from the side, and squinting out. 

You are welcome. Having our Ollie here at home I can usually get  a photo to help out of someone needs one. 

It certainly provides solid privacy when using the shower, blocking out the hot sun, sleeping, or having a little quiet dinner at the dinette. It’s a pretty easy straight forward install. Unfortunately my original glass was really glued in solid and did not just pop out of the frame. So I replaced the frame and glass. It’s all Topgun2’s  fault, he turned us onto this mod. 😄
 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634   TV -2021 F 350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate “Tremor”

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is another option from Zarcor.  It is an OceanAir roller shade, like you would find in an Airstream.

We wanted to make sure we had a full, unobstructed view from the window, when the shade was open.

It also works as a grab handle, when closing the screen.

Here is the part information if anyone is intersted.

CSH-3-W - OceanAir CABINshade, White - 21 5/8" x 23 5/8" x 24 1/8.

It is a custom size.

Andrew

IMG_1268.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Andrew, Carianne and Buffy | San Diego, CA


2019 Legacy Elite II Hull #468 "California Burrito" | 2018 BMW x5 35d 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...