New Truma Eco A/C retrofit

theOrca

3 hours ago, MobileJoy said:

Has anyone with the Aventa had to replace its filters yet? How did you get replacements, and how much did they cost?

The Truma Aventa filters are washable plastic grids.  I have removed them, but have not needed to use the air conditioner enough yet to need to clean them.  They are reusable.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
9 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

The Truma Aventa filters are washable plastic grids.  I have removed them, but have not needed to use the air conditioner enough yet to need to clean them.  They are reusable.

From the Aventa manual:

9.2 Filter change

The filters in the air distributor must be changed according to the intensity of use. It is recom- mended this be done at least every 12 months.

Never operate the air conditioner without filters. This can reduce power and performance.

The filters can not be cleaned.

I guess the manual must be incorrect.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2021 Elite II Twin #850 "Mojo", 2020 F250 Lariat 7.3L FX4 3.55

• Moderators

The filters on our houghton are washable. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

31 minutes ago, MobileJoy said:

I have just sent a note to Truma telling them I will be installing the Aventa Eco and asking for filter purchase info. The manual gives a filter part number 40091-16800 (set of 2). There is a whole page on replacing the filters. I will also open a ticket and will let you know what I find out.

15 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

The filters on our houghton are washable. 

They are washable on the Dometic Penguin as well.

I sure hope Rivernerd is correct. The link Patriot posted has the part number. These filters appear to be pretty expensive!

2 hours ago, MobileJoy said:

Who am I to dispute what Truma says about its products?

That said, attached are three photos showing:  (1) one of the two filters removed from our Truma Aventa air conditioner on the countertop above the fridge; (2) a close-up of the filter, so you can see the plastic honeycomb and (3) me washing a filter in our home kitchen sink.

Silly me for thinking they could be washed instead of replaced for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!978806321_TrumaACFilteronCountertop.thumb.jpg.8ae65a79e4a0a612019d66a01527eb87.jpg

1944241134_CloseUpofTrumaACFilter.thumb.jpg.5af339aa9bb760c472d7c84ffaf19520.jpg

2116549640_WashingTrumaACFilterinKitchenSink.thumb.jpg.a07237aa8f3721f20c169ff0dbe94331.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

17 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

That said, attached are three photos showing:  (1) one of the two filters removed from our Truma Aventa air conditioner on the countertop above the fridge; (2) a close-up of the filter, so you can see the plastic honeycomb and (3) me washing a filter in our home kitchen sink.

Silly me for thinking they could be washed instead of replaced for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!978806321_TrumaACFilteronCountertop.thumb.jpg.8ae65a79e4a0a612019d66a01527eb87.jpg

1944241134_CloseUpofTrumaACFilter.thumb.jpg.5af339aa9bb760c472d7c84ffaf19520.jpg

2116549640_WashingTrumaACFilterinKitchenSink.thumb.jpg.a07237aa8f3721f20c169ff0dbe94331.jpg

Looks like I will be washing our new Truma filter's.
Thanks for posting.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

7 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

I guess you'd be the one with the right answer! Thanks for confirming this!

I just tacked this info on to the ticket.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2022 at 8:10 PM, bhncb said:

I too would like to hear some opinions from anyone who has had the replacement done by Truma. Looking at the Oliver website photos of a 2023 LEII with the Aventa, the unit appears to be noticeably higher than the Penguin II.  Maybe just an illusion but it would be nice to know if the height of the LEII has increased.

There is an article in the latest TruckCamper magazine about the 2023 Lance campers and how they are going all in with a 100% Truma solution. Near the end, when they talk about the Aventa, they specifically address the power requirements vis a vis generator size. Lance is quoted as to how the A/C operates fine with the 2500 watt onboard generator but  that they had to implement an EasyStart for it to be reliable using the 2200 watt Honda portable. Interesting concluding. comment was how they "are working with Truma" for a resolution.

Since Lance is one of Truma's largest OEM partnerships, I interpret this to mean that Truma knows there is a shortcoming with the Aventa and will most likely have to either approve EasyStart installations or offer one of some flavor as their own option.

I'd be looking for more info on the subject from Truma, and/or Oliver, before I jumped in. I won't be though. because my Houghton 3400 is working fab.

Quick question.  forgive me if you answer elsewhere.  If your houghton is working well, why are you considering going with the Truma?  Just starting doing my research here, but am looking to compare pros and cons of those two units.

Gerry

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

On 12/21/2022 at 3:58 AM, Patriot said:

Rivernerd,
This past summer I installed the Hutch Mountain trifuel conversion kit - LP, LNG, gasoline.https://www.hutchmountain.com The Honda eu3000is runs whisper quiet off LP. We ran our gen in our initial shake down after the LP conversion and were pleased with how quiet it runs even while sitting in the gen basket.
You are right about tradeoffs. The trade off with the Honda is it’s a bit heavy. The upside is no gasoline storage to be concerned with. Due to its size and weight it’s not so portable that a thief can just pick it up and walk away with it. Lifting it in and out of the gen tray takes two people with strong backs. We look forward to seeing how well the Honda runs the Aventa post install in May. I think it will be plenty of clean inverter gen power and run our Ollie fine.

FDDF8F4F-CA00-4853-9B44-EFE5544FCE8B.thumb.jpeg.5c7116cec74a0162b01fb1f2b9821386.jpeg

Now that warmer weather is upon us, was anyone able to follow up on the possibility of the Truma AC running off a Honda 2200I?

9 minutes ago, GAP said:

Now that warmer weather is upon us, was anyone able to follow up on the possibility of the Truma AC running off a Honda 2200I?

I won’t be running our Truma off a 2200i as I don’t own one.Most importantly it’s not recommended for the Truma. So why bother taking a chance and having an issue? I doubt the Truma warranty dept would come to anyone’s rescue. Maybe I am missing something here?

Patriot🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 12/24/2022 at 10:47 AM, SteveCr said:

Hello Ralph,

They did not seem to have a problem removing the Dometic. There was one guy on top and another inside. 

Attached is a pic of the Dometic bottom side. There are a couple of thick foam pads with a thin sealer layer of what seems similar to butyl tape. I'm unsure if there was something else stuck to the trailer roof hole. The Oliver was delivered May 2021.

It took them a little less than 3 hours to complete the job.

Steve

IMG_8258[1].JPG

IMG_8259[1].JPG

There may be an post on the following questions but I've been unable to find it.  Have any of you fine folks with the smarts and experience to have swapped out their Dometic AC for the Houghton, had the opportunity to do a full throated write up on the process?  I am curious as to how involved it is.  Been eyeballing the unit with the heat pump.  Am also wondering about options for draining.

6 minutes ago, Patriot said:

I won’t be running our Truma off a 2200i as I don’t own one.Most importantly it’s not recommended for the Truma. So why bother taking a chance and having an issue? I doubt the Truma warranty dept would come to anyone’s rescue. Maybe I am missing something here?

Patriot🇺🇸

This option was brought up earlier in this chain.  I'm looking into Houghtons vs Trumas and having to run a bigger, heavier, more pricey generator is a consideration.  Good point Patriot on the warrantee thing. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, GAP said:

There may be an post on the following questions but I've been unable to find it.  Have any of you fine folks with the smarts and experience to have swapped out their Dometic AC for the Houghton, had the opportunity to do a full throated write up on the process?  I am curious as to how involved it is.  Been eyeballing the unit with the heat pump.  Am also wondering about options for draining.

This thread shows a number of installs:

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderator+
47 minutes ago, Allen Lee Rohner said:

After the AC swap, what are you doing with your old Dometic AC units?

I was at the factory recently and I saw at least 8-10 Dometic units stacked against the back wall in service. So, as far as the swaps being done there, it appears that many owners are just leaving them behind. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Allen Lee Rohner said:

Ours was over a decade old. I offered it up for parts, and eventually recycled it.

Newer unit owners have sold theirs on ebay or Craigslist. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2021 LE2

3 hours ago, Allen Lee Rohner said:

Sold my Dometic minus the Easy Start for $400 on Facebook Marketplace....took a couple of months.

BTW.....a Honda 2200i will most definitely run the Truma with an installed Easy Start.

image.png.e7c479d936e598ffb483b621906c2fc2.png

• Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Allen Lee Rohner said:

We pre-sold our Dometic to a guy locally here in NC. I had it on FB market place for maybe a few hours. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

55 minutes ago, SteveCr said:

Here is the ES to Truma wiring diagram for those interested. If taken off the old Dometic AC the ES will need to be relearned....very easy with online instructions.

image.png.72f4e1d60a141760df53ca65e1ea1e67.png

Although I would like the ES or soft start, I was informed by Oliver Service that installing an easy start or soft start would void the Truma factory warranty and they won’t install it. We are having the Truma installed on May 8th. If I learn anything different I will post up.

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 5

IMG_2879.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Although I would like the ES or soft start, I was informed by Oliver Service that installing an easy start or soft start would void the Truma factory warranty and they won’t install it. We are having the Truma installed on May 8th. If I learn anything different I will post up.

Patriot🇺🇸

Yes, Oliver and Truma both have said Truma will void the warranty if ES is installed. The Truma warranty is only two years and the ES can easily be installed yourself ..... almost plug and play.  Hopefully the Truma AC will not give any trouble...I know the ES will not cause any.

I worked for Emerson Electric and Schneider Electric for 34 years. We routinely modified OEM devices to suit our design intent.  For my estimation, the ES/Truma installation is low risk.

Modifying my F150's software....now that caused me to sweat. Voiding that warranty would have been painful....Truma, not so much. 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Wow 2

9 hours ago, SteveCr said:

Yes, Oliver and Truma both have said Truma will void the warranty if ES is installed. The Truma warranty is only two years and the ES can easily be installed yourself ..... almost plug and play.  Hopefully the Truma AC will not give any trouble...I know the ES will not cause any.

I worked for Emerson Electric and Schneider Electric for 34 years. We routinely modified OEM devices to suit our design intent.  For my estimation, the ES/Truma installation is low risk.

Modifying my F150's software....now that caused me to sweat. Voiding that warranty would have been painful....Truma, not so much. 

Steve

@SteveCr 

Interesting. Where I came to a full stop in your post is where you stated “hopefully the Truma will not give any trouble”. As the end user I wonder why Truma does not recommend an ES? There must be a reason.

Moving forward, I am choosing to trust the engineers at Truma and Oliver Service recommendations. Given the out lay of cash to have the Truma retro fit done by Oliver, I choose to yield to Oliver Service and the Truma’s engineers caution flag  and not install the ES and completely void the Truma warranty. I am thinking in the next 2 years Truma may approve an ES, I am willing to be patient.

Did you install the ES on your Truma? Would like to hear your results. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 2

IMG_2879.jpeg

Did you install the ES on your Truma? Would like to hear your results. 

This image below is from the Xantrex 3000. The "grid" is powered from a Honda 2200i while running the Truma Aventa AC. Amazing numbers. Prior to ES installation the Aventa would not start up....afterwards no problem.

I'm just sharing that folks that already have a generator that powered their Dometic absolutely do not have to shell out  $2,400 for a 3000w Honda generator (or $900 for HF Predator).

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_05/image.png.e7c479d936e598ffb483b621906c2fc2.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveCr said:

This image below is from the Xantrex 3000.

How do you import images from the FXC Control app on your smart phone so you can post them on the forum?  I have not been able to figure out how to do it.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

54 minutes ago, Rivernerd said:

How do you import images from the FXC Control app on your smart phone so you can post them on the forum?  I have not been able to figure out how to do it.

If it won't post directly, then a work around I use is to copy the image into Microsoft Power Point. I can crop or perform other edits easily in PP. Next, choose/copy the edited image in PP and paste into this forum. You don't have to save the PP file.

Another product such as Word, Excel or equivalent might work also, but I can edit in PP easy (I have an old 2007 version).

Renegade Steve