Bulb Seal (for under the awning) has been Ordered

I should do a charity fund and have bidding wars.  Great promo for Oliver.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

5 minutes ago, Wayfinder said:

Will do.  

It will make me feel good after ordering new tires for Wayfinder.  😞 

We are at site F50. 
Thanks!

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Well, I am currently camping for the 3rd time in two years, (and twice in two weeks) and now testing weather or not I will like NOT having a bulb seal on the trailer.  So far with a light drizzle it's no issue.  But I also have gutter guards all around.  

I am wondering if I'd like gutter guard under the awning mount, leaving a sizable opening between the gutter and the bottom of the awning mount.  It might be a nice compromise.  But, no rush.  Critical thinking and testing to do in the mean time.

Still adding pics to Album, but again, it's raining.  Doesn't look like any astrophotography practice tonight.  LOL

Album so far: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nkozxUcsgrfPp9YeA

The attach pic is showing the rain tripping down over window gutter and showing there's no bulb seal over head.

rain-and-no-bulb-seal.jpg

• Like 2

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• Moderators

Its hard to tell from the pic above and/or the Google pics but particularly in the rain the awning should be slanted such that the rain can more easily run off and not "puddle" on the awning itself.  Usually the low side of the slant would be at the end closest to the rear of the camper.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 2:59 AM, topgun2 said:

Usually the low side of the slant would be at the end closest to the rear of the camper.

Did that for four years and ended up with a trapizoidal shaped awning cover that eventually would barber pole foreward and required replacement.

I no longer slope the canopy away from the entrance door.  

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2023 at 8:19 AM, Wayfinder said:

I was even considering my left-over gutter guard in lieu of the bulb seal.  That way heavy water, and wind, could still pass thru under the awning mount, yet light to moderate rain could be channeled via the gutter guard?  I'll do some critical thinking on that one.

I am in the process of re thinking all this as well.  Going to take my bulb seal off too.  I believe in some cases like mine Oliver installed it tight against the awning and in others like mine left a small gap. (bad installation)  Debris definitely get stuck in there.  I like your idea of installing gutter guard below say about 2 or 3 inches.  You could even have a high point in the middle gradually sloping down to front and back.  Nothing would get caught up top in a hard to reach area either.  The other thought I had was installing a new bulb or the gutter guard (or something similar) up top in the valley between the top and the awning cutting sections to fit in between the mounting brackets so it would be flush with them for a smooth path.  Also on the brackets, mine are just L brackets with no middle piece to drill a hole through so that is not a problem.

• Like 1

I find this a very interesting thread, with lots of neat ideas. OTH, I am sorry you guys have to deal with this “rain” stuff. 😉

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I find this a very interesting thread, with lots of neat ideas. OTH, I am sorry you guys have to deal with this “rain” stuff. 😉

John Davies

Spokane WA

Because you rarely have rain???  

We have 40+ inches a year.. 

😅

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Regarding the installation/attachment of a "gutter guard" or any other adhesive attached items. It was my understanding that if you have  had a ceramic coating applied to  your Oliver adhesives/stickers/decals will not remain attached very well. This was told to me by the company that applied my ceramic coating.

Is this a common understanding?

• Like 1

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

1 hour ago, Gliddenwoods said:

Regarding the installation/attachment of a "gutter guard" or any other adhesive attached items. It was my understanding that if you have  had a ceramic coating applied to  your Oliver adhesives/stickers/decals will not remain attached very well. This was told to me by the company that applied my ceramic coating.

Is this a common understanding?

Yes, it makes sense. You need to remove the coating mechanically where the seal will attach.You probably should contact the company that applied it to see if they have any information that would help. Unless you arme super talented at detailing, I suggest that you hire a pro.

https://avalonking.com/blogs/tips-advice/a-guide-to-removing-ceramic-coating-from-your-car

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.