Repositioning Water Pump Switch/LED in the Head...

MAX Burner

Problem:  We've had our OTT for several months now, and still getting used to the "in's and out's" of the rig.  One item that's been bugging us is that there wasn't a way to energize the water pump when occupying the head.  WHAT?  

Background:  So, the PO decided to remove the "cubby" shelf under the bathroom sink which housed the factory WP switch and LED and replaced it with a 2-dog marine-grade hatch to access space in the forward area under the sink for additional storage.  I get that, 100%.  However, they didn't (for unknown reasons) reposition the switch/LED before completing their mod.  This was either an oversight, or running out of time, or outside their wheelhouse, or... whatever, it doesn't really matter.  There's a modification project that's hatching here.

After rooting around (with my vintage 6-foot frame) on the shower pan looking into the forward-most storage void, lo and behold, the WP switch AND LED wires were found wrapped-up and tucked away.  The 5 wire-bundle of switch/LED circuits were fully intact and operational.  Whew! Right?

Fix:  Ok!  Let's figure out a logical placement of this, what we consider, a non-trivial feature to have working correctly in a proper RV head.  I decided to reach out to a couple members for their thoughts (many thanks to JD and Geronimo John) - another huge benefit of the OTT Forum.  Several ideas surfaced to include repositioning the switch/LED on the upper bath cabinet near the existing light switch or on the port side of the sink cabinet.  

We opted for the side of the sink cabinet.  Below are some pix of the repositioning modification we knocked-out yesterday:

1. Carefully measured, marked, pilot-drilled, and drilled switch hole:

image.thumb.jpeg.bee8bca428062870e785fcafc354c5eb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3e589eb606f171ba96f414b0abb51a1f.jpeg

2. We chose the area below the TP Compartment because it would seem to give more "anti-water intrusion protection" than the space above the TP holder.

image.thumb.jpeg.967639ecd0b7be1e5f8bc0fd712ad3de.jpeg

3. Measured, marked and drilled LED hole:

image.thumb.jpeg.2c706fd82deacac4b72e02e676f432ae.jpeg

4. Used a couple drops of Gorilla Instant Glue for the LED mounting placement.  After glue cured, applied clear silicone to provide additional water resistance:

image.thumb.jpeg.ee2c454adb3acc9da39c7612d4a5cfaa.jpeg

5.  Let there be light...

image.thumb.jpeg.6f222a9007677b2c373d37ef1bcfd96d.jpeg

The rubber-booted "marine-grade" switch should be fine in this environment and away from a direct shot from the shower head much like its original factory position in the upper area of the cubby shelf.

We debated actually posting this to the Ollie-World because it would seem to us that it's a "one-of-a-kind" modification.  However, if anyone else out there has a similar situation, hopefully this may be of help.  At least for now, we'll no longer be stranded in the head during one of those middle of the night "needs" without being able to flush...

Cheers!

• Like 9

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

Nice mod. 

In our vintage 2008, we don't have a water pump switch in the bath. Then again, in an Elite I, you can "almost" reach the main switch from the bath.

I think Oliver started installing the bath switch because several owners modded theirs, as you did.

Good on you for using a marine grade, booted switch, and I really like the protected placement. 😃

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

17 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Nice mod. 

In our vintage 2008, we don't have a water pump switch in the bath. Then again, in an Elite I, you can "almost" reach the main switch from the bath.

I think Oliver started installing the bath switch because several owners modded theirs, as you did.

Good on you for using a marine grade, booted switch, and I really like the protected placement. 😃

We have a 2022 and it has a pump switch under the sink and use it all the time. Now if we could only turn off the curb side out door lighting it would be great.

• Like 2

Bill & Nancy 

Holland MA
2022 Elite II  Hull #1265
2022 GMC Diesel Canyon

MDMANCTNsm.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Bill and Nancy said:

Now if we could only turn off the curb side out door lighting it would be great.

Where there is the will there is a way. 😇

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

22 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

the PO decided to remove the "cubby" shelf under the bathroom sink which housed the factory WP switch and LED and replaced it with a 2-dog marine-grade hatch to access space in the forward area under the sink for additional storage.

If I recall, JD super insulated the space under the sink as part of his winter hardening of his OE2.  That project combined with adding access would open up the space for storage.  Could you post some pic's under a net thread on how to do so?    

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Nice work Max! Mod On Brother! 👍🏻😊 Let there be water!

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg