SOURCE for replacement keys for cargo and battery compartment doors.

IMG_2607.thumb.jpeg.83dd79b229dff84a970285e09ea25639.jpeg

image.thumb.png.32293e84e25e543aea22004e824998fc.png

I lost one, so I ordered two sets of two, $7.34 plus $13.70 shipping! Oh well, $21 for all of them. FYI you can't find these at your local Ace hardware store.

Do they still use these on current hulls?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
14 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Do they still use these on current hulls?

They sure do

image.jpg

• Like 4

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison

High security keys.... LOL

Glad we can trust other Ollie Owners!

GJ

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

19 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Trust but verify...I am still going to lock down my Lithionics batteries. I will post the solution once it is final.

Brian

• Like 6

• Moderators

Re-key would be my  initial  solution.

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

16 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Re-key would be my  initial  solution.

As in -- replace the entire lockset with something different?  I've been wondering about this as well, especially for my batteries. 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

On 6/16/2023 at 11:20 PM, Geronimo John said:

High security keys.... LOL

GJ

Not just trusting Ollie owners, that Southco brand of access door latch/lock is used commonly across the entire RV industry.  

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Frank C said:

Not just trusting Ollie owners, that Southco brand of access door latch/lock is used commonly across the entire RV industry.  

Has anyone worked out a way to LOCK the batteries down or equipped the battery storage with a different type of lock? 

Oliver Elite II Twin (delivered 3/28/2022)   Tow Vehicle: Chevy Silverado 2500HD diesel "Estrella"

ALARCOFLGAIAKSKYLAMONENDOKSDTNTXWYCCCCCC

21 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

Trust but verify...I am still going to lock down my Lithionics batteries. I will post the solution once it is final.

I agree. 

I'm again thinking about this topic.  Some options using a pair of rivet-nuts (Blind Flange Nuts), mounted in the battery "Outside" tray slides and a pair of matching bolts thru the inside "Inside" tray slide as an approach.   I am thinking of using grade 8 security bolts like these.  This would make pulling out the tray impossible. 

image.png.466f72ca87d1562e95f68c8feb0d7db6.png

If there is not enough clear area in the slides, I would consider drilling through both and mounting the Rivet-Nuts in the battery box side walls and using longer security bolts.  This may require using some poly sheets to reinforce the walls.  The special bit would  likely be in a small tie bag behind the batteries where only I would know where it is located.  My Blue Sea Master Cutoff switch is accessible by just  opening the door to the battery area.  So this is not a concern from a safety standpoint. 

I had thought of doing something like this long ago when I had L/A batteries, but figured I was no longer as profitable target as our Llitho's are.  Now that I also have Lithium's, I need to elevate this Mod to my "A" To Do List. This likely will slow down any bad people.  

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

7 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

I am thinking of using grade 8 security bolts like these.  This would make pulling out the tray impossible. 

John,

That is a great idea, one I had not thought of.  If you look at the Morride battery tray, there is a slot on the side, both front and back. I am thinking about having some metal bands fabricated that will "loop" into those slots and then strap across the batteries with some sort of lock between the two bands. One band from left side, one from right with a hasp in the middle somewhere.

Does this even make sense?

Brian

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Frank C said:

Frank:  Same latch/lock would be ok.  But are you saying all those locks use the same key code?  If so, that's a WHOLE lot worse.  If not, any idea how many key combinations they provide?  Just trying to get a better understanding of the risk side of this issue.

thanks

GJ

5 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

But are you saying all those locks use the same key code?

I had these locks on my boat and every Southco key I ever saw was exactly the same!!  I have never contacted them to see if you can get something different but I think these are just meant to keep the honest people honest.  The bad people don't care anyway...

BL

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

I had these locks on my boat and every Southco key I ever saw was exactly the same!!

Was it this lock with the cut key lock or the stamped key lock from Oliver?

image.jpeg.60717b151e9b86cc1e75395830386a2b.jpeg

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

2 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

Was it this lock with the cut key lock or the stamped key lock from Oliver?

I don't know of a stamped key lock from Oliver...the one you show is just like the one on my battery box and basement storage.  It has the same key pictured above.

Can you explain the difference in the two you described above?

Regards,

Brian

9 minutes ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

I don't know of a stamped key lock from Oliver

This is the stamped key lock on my battery/basement door, with “stamped key” same as what John E Davies shows in his OP. 
image.jpeg.e4754120b11c7ce7bfd2d9a23aeadb50.jpeg

image.jpeg.0ec17988e2533e411efd0297f1f3da49.jpeg

Are you saying you have the lock with the  “cut” key lock per my previous post?
image.jpeg.7a751ae5ec914da3f9ad91c7af8bcb90.jpeg

If you look carefully you’ll see the different key holes for the 2 locks

• Like 1

Truma water heater & AC

5 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

Are you saying you have the lock with the  “cut” key lock per my previous post?

Ah, ok I see what you are saying and NO, the only locks I have ever used from Southco have been "stamped", not cut.  I would be much more comfortable If I could swap out my lock with a cut key lock.

Looking now.

Brian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geronimo John said:

Frank:  Same latch/lock would be ok.  But are you saying all those locks use the same key code?  If so, that's a WHOLE lot worse.  If not, any idea how many key combinations they provide?  Just trying to get a better understanding of the risk side of this issue.

thanks

GJ

Yep, that key code # is really common on the Southco latch/lock.  It’s available on Amazon too (link below).  Mine are the same key code # as the other Ollie owners have posted. 

And if you search Amazon for Southco key, that M1-545-4 code is the only code that shows up for that style key for our hatch locks.   I bought spares, along with spare entry door keys, to keep on my backup keychains.  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KXP4HV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

IMG_2587.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian and Brandelyne said:

That is a great idea, one I had not thought of.  If you look at the Morride battery tray, there is a slot on the side, both front and back. I am thinking about having some metal bands fabricated that will "loop" into those slots and then strap across the batteries with some sort of lock between the two bands. One band from left side, one from right with a hasp in the middle somewhere.

Sounds like it would work.  Just a cautionary note:  Metal Bands, Hasp and Lock anywhere near the tops of the batteries could become an Arch Flash moment.  Especially when bouncing down a fire road with Ollie.  So take that into consideration.  

GJ

• Like 3

@Geronimo John yes, excellent point. Don’t need any random sparks going down the road. 

I have the long batteries so there is considerable distance between the terminals. Anything I did would be centered away from them and likely dipped in plastic. 

Thank you, as always, for additional details we all need to consider. 

Brian

• Like 3

IMG_2635.thumb.jpeg.9fb31ac6bbe2a214f08f3ec280fa650b.jpeg

https://www.amazon.com/Theft-Resistant-Universal-Lockable-Strap/dp/B0915Z1MTF

“Expedition grade”, I have no personal comments, you should research any reviews. It probably would not slide through the battery slots. If they were tight and locked that should not matter. FYI: 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/5356-how-to-fabricate-battery-hold-down-straps-and-anchors/

BtW there are different grades of nylon webbing, and additional ones should be zero stretch Mil-Spec, the regular cheaper type stretches up to 4%.

My three Raingler straps are really tight, they twang when you flip them with your finger. They do not loosen, but I check them every week when traveling for peace of mind. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

15 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

could become an Arch Flash moment.

We absolutely hate "Arc-Flash moments" anywhere in the OTT...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Now this discussion has me thinking!

I have the "Lithium Platinum Package" and never thought about how easy it would be for someone to break-in and steal these high value batteries. As I think about this the 640 amp hour batteries are the most expensive "portable" items of my Oliver. I am not overly concern about but this, but I look forward to additional thoughts and recommendations on methods to secure the batteries to make thief much less likely. Some secure straps might make sense.

• Like 2

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.

2 minutes ago, Gliddenwoods said:

I look forward to additional thoughts and recommendations on methods to secure the batteries to make thief much less likely. Some secure straps might make sense.

Straps can be cut in seconds.   As posted above, I'm more into making the effort time consuming for a thief.  Locking down the trays could be a good way to do that.    

One of the greatest benefits of this forum is that we have many brilliant experienced "handy guys and gals" listening in.  Starter ideas generally get refined to savvy executable ideas or alternatives that almost always work better than the first poster's thoughts.  Sort of like cooking spaghetti... really good the first time out of the pot.  But with three days in the cooler, you end up with a great pot of Italian!  Ditto with this forum.   

• Like 1
  • Love 1