Rivian truck run until dead dead dead

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-rivian-r1t-yearlong-review-update-10-running-out-of-battery/

Now imagine yourself far far from help….. or in a cell dead zone. Just say no to electric vehicles for towing. And all-electric RVs…

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

To be quite frank, the video is very educational,  for those who don't read the manuals. And, as noted, they  pushed the issue, on purpose. 

The last thing you'd want to do, with any ev, or any lithium batteries  (phone, rv, you name it) is to run to absolute zero, intentionally.)

Most evs still have a 12v agm, that will be destroyed in the process, as was this one.

There are, however, alternative uses for evs that are far better.  For the near future, until battery life (storage) and performance is increased , the best use of ev is local, imo.

Local buses, Amazon vans, Ups trucks, post office delivery vehicles,  maybe school buses, taxis, local contractors-- plumbers, electricians, builders, etc.  Local commuters, like my daughter, who droves 30 miles round trip, to work, daily, and can even slow charge at work. And, folks like me, who when home, just drive to dinner, my mom's condo, and/ or the grocery store, and can charge on solar.

My nephew, a general contractor, drives maybe 100 miles a day, sometimes towing a utility trailer. It could work for him. 

With today's tech, and charging networks, and limited  fast charge capabilities,  long range towing is only practical for a select few. This will probably change. If not, we'll be looking more to advanced hydrogen fuel cell tech. 

The cities are where ev works best, imo. And, in many cities, that's where the smog concentration is most important.

I see multiple Rivians almost every day in my community.  Abundant Teslas, and other brand commuter vehicles, including ford lightning, as well as ev suvs and cars.

I don't see them often on I95, and I've yet to see one towing. There is a reason, currently. 

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

"RIVIAN", peculiar name, right?  Kinda sounds very J.R.R. Tolkien "Hobbit-y"....

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• Moderator+

Interesting video. Further solidifies my opinion of EV's.

• Like 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

We love our EV and have taken many road trips in it.  Just like any vehicle, you have to plan ahead and recognize limitations.  But in general, we have found owning an EV to be an excellent experience — maintenance is a breeze, acceleration is other-worldly, and it’s just a hoot to drive.  We know it’s not going to tow an Oliver, and that’s OK.  Our TV is too large, and too much of a gas-hog, for every-day driving.  It, like our EV, has a purpose.

• Like 6

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

I really look forward to the day (not that far in the future) that both my Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and Ford F-150 will be replaced by EVs. We are in the early stages of the development of this technology and as others in the past. Remember slide rulers and dial party landline telephones...? 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

2022 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull 1242, 9/26/22

Lithium Platinum Power/Solar Package

Tow with Supercrew Cab 2019 F-150 4 x4, 5.0L 4-Valve V8 with 3.73 axle ratio & 157" wheelbase.

F-150 GCWR of 16,900 lbs with maximum load trailer of 11,500 lbs.