How much of a difference does age and wear and tear make in an Oliver trailer?

Cort

We're looking at 2 trailers - one is well taken care but is a couple of years older (2017) and has been well used - lived in for quite a while. The other is newer (2019) but has hardly been used at all and is much more expensive. My question is how much does age and wear and tear matter? 

There's the body of the trailer - the suspension - the plumbing - the wiring - the solar - and then there's the appliances which I assume might break down earlier - and cause less to fix as well.  I could certainly see having to repair appliances - problems with the body and suspension would, I think (but don't know), be another matter. I would be full timing in the Oliver for a couple of years as well probably. 

Basically, how well do Olivers do over time?

2023 Chevrolet Express 4x4 - 2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull 529 - Roaming the Western US with Skye (my dog) (and at times my Canadian partner). 

• The title was changed to How much of a difference does age and wear and tear make in an Oliver trailer?
travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

You will probably receive a lot of different answers on this question but allow me to start. Assuming you have had experience with travel trailers, camping and RV'ing to any degree I wouldn't worry about it too much. Make no mistake you will always need to be prepared to do some maintenance on any camper, bar none. There are no exceptions. Bearings will need to be serviced periodically and how often depends on many things, understand too Oliver does not make any of the appliances, only the frame and the cabin plus the engineering of the units. Things break from time to time, it's the nature of the beast. FWIW I have a 2015 model and when people tour it are amazed at how well it looks. Cutting to the chase the Olivers hold up extremely well if taken care of, waxing, cleaning and maintenance. Age, wear and tear, other than appliances not made by Oliver I wouldn't think would matter much, assuming previous owner hasn't neglected their Oliver which would be very rare. 

To answer your question, much will depend upon your budget, and how much you are willing to invest. Hopefully you'll find this helpful.

• Like 3

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderator+

Hull #050. Had it 10 years. First one sold. Best non-animate thing I've ever owned. Been to every state including Alaska. Multiple times. Over 100K miles. Tons of Mods thru the years. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Ours is a 2016, picked up in May 2016.  We should have 100K miles on it after our fall trip coming up.  The CGI guys did the ceramic coating earlier this year so from the outside it looks better than it did in May 2016.  I have the bearings and brakes serviced every spring by the same guy.  I will have the brakes replaced next spring.  I’ve replaced the 2000W inverter and replaced my four AGM batteries with three Battle Born Lithiums plus new tires.  Other than that, everything is original and everything works fine.  I’ve made some repairs on wear and tear items, but nothing major.  Bottom line - an older trailer should be fine if it has been maintained.  Mike

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

13 hours ago, routlaw said:

You will probably receive a lot of different answers on this question but allow me to start. Assuming you have had experience with travel trailers, camping and RV'ing to any degree I wouldn't worry about it too much. Make no mistake you will always need to be prepared to do some maintenance on any camper, bar none. There are no exceptions. Bearings will need to be serviced periodically and how often depends on many things, understand too Oliver does not make any of the appliances, only the frame and the cabin plus the engineering of the units. Things break from time to time, it's the nature of the beast. FWIW I have a 2015 model and when people tour it are amazed at how well it looks. Cutting to the chase the Olivers hold up extremely well if taken care of, waxing, cleaning and maintenance. Age, wear and tear, other than appliances not made by Oliver I wouldn't think would matter much, assuming previous owner hasn't neglected their Oliver which would be very rare. 

To answer your question, much will depend upon your budget, and how much you are willing to invest. Hopefully you'll find this helpful.

Thanks so much for relaying your experience. What I was hoping to hear was that the guts of it hold up well and the stuff not made by Oliver may break from time to time.  I think if we get the older one waxing and maintaining the outside is the first thing we will do - if it needs it.  I know the owner has taken it in to Oliver's facility every now and then to get it serviced. 

• Like 2

2023 Chevrolet Express 4x4 - 2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull 529 - Roaming the Western US with Skye (my dog) (and at times my Canadian partner). 

8 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Hull #050. Had it 10 years. First one sold. Best non-animate thing I've ever owned. Been to every state including Alaska. Multiple times. Over 100K miles. Tons of Mods thru the years. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

100 K miles and still satisfied - can't get a better recommendation than that. Thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Ours is a 2016, picked up in May 2016.  We should have 100K miles on it after our fall trip coming up.  The CGI guys did the ceramic coating earlier this year so from the outside it looks better than it did in May 2016.  I have the bearings and brakes serviced every spring by the same guy.  I will have the brakes replaced next spring.  I’ve replaced the 2000W inverter and replaced my four AGM batteries with three Battle Born Lithiums plus new tires.  Other than that, everything is original and everything works fine.  I’ve made some repairs on wear and tear items, but nothing major.  Bottom line - an older trailer should be fine if it has been maintained.  Mike

Another 100Ker! Very good to hear - thanks 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Cort said:

Another 100Ker! Very good to hear - thanks

If you ever wondered why molded fiberglass campers hold their value so well - you now know.

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

• Moderators

We've owned and maintained our 2008 #12 since new, and 150k. I know there's another 2008 out there with similar miles. 

People are truly amazed at how good it looks, in its 16th season. More importantly,  it still tows great. 

Like others, we've done some mods, upgrades, and replacement components over the many years (fridge, water pump, added 200 watts of solar, then upgraded to 400 watts plus 200 portable, etc. ) 

It's been a great trailer, and doesn't owe us a dime. So many great memories!

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

We've owned and maintained our 2008 #12 since new, and 150k. I know there's another 2008 out there with similar miles. 

People are truly amazed at how good it looks, in its 16th season. More importantly,  it still tows great. 

Like others, we've done some mods, upgrades, and replacement components over the many years (fridge, water pump, added 200 watts of solar, then upgraded to 400 watts plus 200 portable, etc. ) 

It's been a great trailer, and doesn't owe us a dime. So many great memories!

#12! Wow....and 150K! Impressive!