Anyone towing an Elite II with a LX470 (or equivalent Landcruiser)?

Stevietkd

Newbie here- so new, I don't have my Ollie yet, but based on research I'm sold on this brand.  I recently bought a 2006 LX470 with a GVWR of 6500 lbs.  Wondering if I can tow an Elite II by keeping payload to 1000 lbs, or if I should just go with the smaller Elite. Thanks for your advice.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Welcome to the forum. Since you live in Oregon, 100% buy the smaller Elite, you do not have nearly enough truck for an LE2. If you lived in the East you could get away with it for a while, but you would be EXTREMELY unhappy with the truck after your first venture into the high country. I consider the Land Cruiser 200 to be marginal for an LE2 due to limited payload capacity and short wheelbase. Don’t sell the truck! I love those older Lexus vehicles, I had a 1996 LX450 that I treasured, my oldest kid totaled it, but they were unhurt. My wife had a 1998 SC400 which was stellar. The build quality and comfort (seats especially) of the older high end Lexus products are unmatched. I would have bought a late model LX570 rather that the Toyota if they were not so very butt ugly…..

Yours would be a terrific match for the LE1, and you would not need the weight distribution hitch. but you should consider replacing the soft cushy LX springs with Land Cruiser spec ones (or an Old Man Emu suspension kit)  if you plan to tow a lot. If you will traveling into the back country you should install different wheels and tires if they are still stock..

Please post some pics of your LX. you did good, you got the 5 speed trannie plus VVT-I.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/100-series-cruisers.26/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks very much John- I was afraid of that, but I think I'd still be happy with the LE1.  Its usually just me and my Boxer dog.  The AHC was partially converted to LC suspension, but I'm adding LC springs, torsion bars and shocks.  

inspection_image_140.jpeg

• Like 4

With just you and the dog, the LE1 is a way better choice. easier to park, easier to find sites out west, easier to tow. if I were single I would have bought one.

Sorry, I had added a couple of comments to my previous reply before you replied. Do check out the iH8Mud forum.

If you get off pavement the running boards will have to go .;)

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Unless you already have the Toyota parts, this will be a lot better setup:

https://www.rocky-road.com/lexus-lx470-lift-kit.html

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

Thanks very much John- I was afraid of that, but I think I'd still be happy with the LE1.  Its usually just me and my Boxer dog.  The AHC was partially converted to LC suspension, but I'm adding LC springs, torsion bars and shocks.  

Yes, I've purchased everything already- just got to get the work done.

Also, I have checked out IH8MUD- lots of great sharing of info going on there. I read posts from 100 series owners who are towing at more than 6500 GVWR- some without problems, others with fuel pump issues going up steep grades.  I've been hoping I could do the Elite II because I also often have my son with me- he's 6' and 230 lbs.  He gets the queen bed in my Super C, and I sleep in the recliner.🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stevietkd said:

Newbie here- so new, I don't have my Ollie yet, but based on research I'm sold on this brand.  I recently bought a 2006 LX470 with a GVWR of 6500 lbs.  Wondering if I can tow an Elite II by keeping payload to 1000 lbs, or if I should just go with the smaller Elite. Thanks for your advice.

You'll either need to upgrade your TV or go with an LE1. The 4.7 is a million mile motor but it doesn't have the power to tow an LE2 in the mountains. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, pulled our Elite II once with our '08 GX470. Not a LX, but a similar Toyota 4.7L v8 (the Tundra 5.7L might work). It was fine around town, with the Anderson hitch, but I could not at all see it going down the 4000 FT drop on I-17 to the Phoenix valley and in the SLOW lane coming back up. Two weeks later, I found an older Ram 2500 Cummins so we can now climb anything! Love the GX on the Arizona dirt when not towing!

GX470 front left.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

I originally towed my 17’ Casita with a 1997 80 Series LX. Foot to the floor to move its 3500lbs. 

Got the 2007 100 series LX and it was much nicer, but still heavy pedal for any incline. 

Got a 2013 200 Series LX and it was like having a diesel when pulling the Casita. 

Then got the Oliver II, felt like it was the 100 series and the Casita again. 

I love the 200 for what it can do when not hooked up and it handles the mountains fine, just have to be happy to be in 4th at 3000 rpm much of that time. 

So, at 5000lbs you can use the 100 series.   But you will be constrained. 

Now the Elite 1 and the 200 series, my perfect combination. 🙂

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

2020 Legacy Elite II Hull 625 - 2013 Lexus LX 570

San Antonio/Boerne - Texas Hill Country

• Moderators

Have you ever been in an Elite I? 

The rear bed (big rear dinette)  is full size, like 55" wide. The side bed (small dinette) is only 24" wide, and six feet long, in ours. Kind of like sleeping on a couch. How tall are you? The boxer will have to learn to sleep under the rear bed.

A friend of mine extended her small dinette bed to 30 inches, with a slide out hinged support she made. Of course, that reduces the aisle by 6", but can provide a more comfy bed width.

Good luck with your decision. Do make sure to tour the smaller Elite I  before you commit. It's a great trailer for one and a dog, or a couple. Ours has been our summer "home" for 16 seasons, and we love it, but good to dee and test.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.