Touch-Light Shades

Fritz

It's a minor issue, but sitting at the dinette or lying in bed we found the touch lights can be glaringly bright.  I discovered that a 4" PVC sewer-pipe connector has a flange that is the ideal diameter for slipping over the touch light to create a light shade.  To create a shade I cut off the flange from a connector using the band saw.  This is the cut end that slips over the light... 

image.jpeg.989b225720cb66ecce6ca85362cb89f1.jpeg

This is the finished end that becomes the bottom of the shade:

image.jpeg.cb4aad152a16d30aaaaeb51a7fd4ded2.jpeg

The shade slips over the light and stays in place with a friction fit, but a bit of 3M double stick tape provides insurance: 

image.jpeg.fa6a7fb6affc0463b6452f119a56bd34.jpeg

Dinette touch light, without shade: 

image.jpeg.ceb7376761b947c1c7ca274e890aefd3.jpeg

Dinette light, with shade:

image.jpeg.1d54937728d74102bfaf8f3b7599242a.jpeg

Galley lights, with shades:

image.jpeg.1372b64dd2debc8fd50c6047a0f9b488.jpeg

Shade installation does not appear to have any effect on light operation--they still turn on and off by touch.

I suppose that the flanges could be cut with a hand saw (hack saw, coping saw?), which would likely require some additional filing and sanding.  Also, the shades could be painted white, but for now we've stuck with plain black.  

• Like 9

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

I do not have "touch lights" but I really do like both the idea and execution of these shades.  Nice thinking and doing! 👌

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Near Asheville, NC

2 hours ago, Fritz said:

a 4" PVC sewer-pipe connector has a flange that is the ideal diameter for slipping over the touch light to create a light shade.

Lest folks get confused when they go looking for "4" PVC,"  what you used is ABS.  In the plumbing world, ABS is black, PVC is white.  So, to replicate your clever mod, folks should buy a 4" ABS connector.

2 hours ago, Fritz said:

Also, the shades could be painted white, but for now we've stuck with plain black.  

The same fitting might be available in PVC, which would come in white.  Lots easier than painting.

The fitting you used in PVC might be this 4" PVC Sewer and Drain Adapter:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/PVC-4-in-x-4-in-dia-PVC-Adapter-Fitting/3455246?user=shopping&feed=yes&srsltid=AfmBOoqiQKecE5I94QDhmh3FLnYQEu_e183jcC9ZSiT_t9vAn5YMpw4bqvE

If I were trying to implement this mod, I would buy one of those, see if it fits, then return it if it doesn't, and buy more if it does.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

5 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Lest folks get confused when they go looking for "4" PVC,"  what you used is ABS.  In the plumbing world, ABS is black, PVC is white.  So, to replicate your clever mod, folks should buy a 4" ABS connector.

Thanks for the correction.

I used a couple fittings that I had sitting around from a project I did 20 years ago. And I just checked the Home Depot website—these fittings have become expensive!  So, if you have to go buy fittings to cut up for shades you will hopefully find a cheaper alternative to the ABS fittings that I used. 

• Like 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Nice simple mod, good idea and crafty install. I cannot stand light hitting my eyes at the wrong angle too. We don't have the touch lights either, but if the size is right, that doesn't matter. Painting is not such a good idea. Get ABS if you want black and PVC for white. Adding this to my list!

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Measured the lights in our Oliver today and they are 3 1/8" diameter (the older version, not touch-lights). These 4" adapters should be 4" ID so lots of room, was hoping they would fit closer. There are 12 interior lights (not counting 3 bathroom lights). 

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Thanks. Newer trailers (at least our 2021 trailer) have five touch lights. The 4” pipe flanges form a tight friction fit around these touch lights. I did not try the concept with other lights (such as those on the ceiling or in the cabinets).  Other sizes of pipe or associated fittings might work well for your lights. Good luck!

• Like 3

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

On 11/3/2023 at 3:01 PM, Fritz said:

It's a minor issue, but sitting at the dinette or lying in bed we found the touch lights can be glaringly bright.  I discovered that a 4" PVC sewer-pipe connector has a flange that is the ideal diameter for slipping over the touch light to create a light shade.  To create a shade I cut off the flange from a connector using the band saw.  This is the cut end that slips over the light... 

image.jpeg.989b225720cb66ecce6ca85362cb89f1.jpeg

This is the finished end that becomes the bottom of the shade:

image.jpeg.cb4aad152a16d30aaaaeb51a7fd4ded2.jpeg

The shade slips over the light and stays in place with a friction fit, but a bit of 3M double stick tape provides insurance: 

image.jpeg.fa6a7fb6affc0463b6452f119a56bd34.jpeg

Dinette touch light, without shade: 

image.jpeg.ceb7376761b947c1c7ca274e890aefd3.jpeg

Dinette light, with shade:

image.jpeg.1d54937728d74102bfaf8f3b7599242a.jpeg

Galley lights, with shades:

image.jpeg.1372b64dd2debc8fd50c6047a0f9b488.jpeg

Shade installation does not appear to have any effect on light operation--they still turn on and off by touch.

I suppose that the flanges could be cut with a hand saw (hack saw, coping saw?), which would likely require some additional filing and sanding.  Also, the shades could be painted white, but for now we've stuck with plain black.  

The only challenge I see with the shade installation is when you need to replace the touch lights (and you will) you are likely going to have to remove the shade and re-tape and reinstall. Other than that it looks like a nice mod. I would go with white PVC. 👍🏻

• Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Actually, I did have to replace a touch light for which I had installed a shade. I sprayed a little bit of rubbing alcohol around the base of the shade where it was stuck to the fiberglass, wiggled it a bit, and the shade came right off. I replaced the touch light, and reinstalled the shade.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel