AGM or lithium batteries

Nan

My AGM batteries are at least 6 years old and not holding a charge anymore. I do not boon dock and was wondering if I should go back with AGM?  Second question: Where is the best place to buy AGM batteries?   Thank you.

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
  • Moderators

If you don't boondock, agm or fla are your best friends.  

We bought our 6 or 7 year old agms at a local, trusted battery store.

You can check pricing of similar batteries at big box stores and auto supply. 

Batteries are heavy, so shipping increases prices often on amazon.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Not boondocking and assuming you are on shore power 100% of the time:  I would answer just get one 12V battery and call it done.  COSTCO.  

Also, keep in mind that your 12V battery system also fires off the brake magnets in an emergency breakaway situation.  So having at least one is a must for several perspectives.

GJ

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

@Nan

To answer your second question. Do a price comparison for sure.
I recently purchased (2) AGM batteries for my Diesel Super Duty at Batteries Plus and they were really great to work with. 

https://www.batteriesplus.com/store-locator/nc/gastonia/batteries-plus-423

I would not go with Lithium if your know you are never going to boondock. 

Patriot🇺🇸

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

2 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

If you don't boondock, agm or fla are your best friends.  

FYI, an upgrade to Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries would require many other upgrades as well, probably including some of the wiring in your trailer, and likely the inverter/charger.  Although I am a LiFePO4 fan, such an upgrade does not make sense in your use case.  You just need batteries to run your 12V systems in between shore power hookups.

I recommend avoiding 12V Flooded Lead Acid (FLA) batteries (like the ones that come in most cars and trucks) because they require maintenance, and if too deeply discharged, can be permanently damaged.   It would be worth the extra cost to me to get deep cycle Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) marine batteries, as they are sealed, never leak, and do not require periodic checking and top-off.

As I recall, the AGMs installed by Oliver were 6V wired to produce 12 Volts.  If yours are 6V, it would be easiest to replace them with identically-sized 6V batteries, wired the same way.  12V batteries would require a different wiring configuration.

I recommend you buy 6V batteries providing the same number of amp hours (Ah) you have had, if you can find the right ones that fit in your battery tray.  If you only buy only one battery, you may have an unpleasant surprise if it is not adequate to power your 12V systems as long as the originals did.  This can be significant, for example, if you run your fridge on DC while on the road between shore power stops.

I second the recommendation to check out Batteries Plus.  If you take the trailer to one of their retail locations, they have knowledgeable salespeople who can help ensure that your replacement batteries properly fit in your battery tray, that they can be secured using the factory tie-down straps, that the positive and negative battery posts match up with the locations of your "old" AGMs, etc., so the solution will hopefully be "plug and play."  And,  you can swap out your old AGMs right then to avoid the core charge on the new ones.  They might even remove the old batteries and install the new ones for you.  As an old guy with a bad back, that would be important to me, because AGMs, like FLAs, have lead/acid chemistry, so they are heavy!

Good luck!

• Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

16 minutes ago, Nan said:

Thank you so much for teaching me what I need to do. I really appreciate it!!

We all get by with a little help from our friends. 😊👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg