Don’t cut your Starlink Cable! There’s a better way to install Starlink…

Snackchaser

Greetings!

I was reading some great instructions for installing Starlink inlet ports on the outside of an Oliver.  However, it was a pity that the installations required cutting and splicing the Starlink cable.  That’s a discouraging and challenging proposition, so I just signed up to this Forum to share how I did mine without cutting the cable.  My method was risk free, super easy and with quality results.  The wiring is all plug-in with about $35 worth of Amazon parts.  The router and modem is ideally located in the Oliver’s attic where there is an AC outlet and good WIFI broadcasting.  Sorry to those if I've duplicated some of their installation methods, I guess great minds just think alike.

I’ve provided a list of 3 Amazon parts, and recommended a few tools that are worth owning anyway:

Furrion Mini TV/SAT Inlet #FTVINB-PS, $11.30

Penglin #PL252, RJ45 CAT6 female to female panel mount connector, two for $14.99

Juxinice 10’ long shielded RJ45 Cat-6 cable with a 90 degree angle connector, $9.69

Neiko #10194a step drill bit, or similar, $10.99

Generic brand 14’ fiberglass fish rod, or other Amazon options under $20

It’s a good idea to first  test the parts by running an internet speed test both before and after plugging-in the new cable and connector between your dishy and router/modem.  You can use any internet speed test such as Ookla or the Starlink App, and the speeds should be about the same unless the new cable or connector is faulty.

Start your installation by unscrewing and removing the coax connector from the new Furrion fitting, then enlarge the hole with a step drill bit to accept the Penglin connector.  This is the exact same Furrion fitting that Oliver uses for the outside Cable and Satellite TV connections, so you could use one of the existing ones if you don’t need the the satellite or cable connection.

Find a relatively flat surface next to the existing Furrion cable/satellite TV fittings to install the new Furrion fitting (with the installed Penglin connector).  Unscrew the storage compartment liner so that it can be pulled back to access the area where the connector will pass through.  Using a step drill, make a hole big enough for the Penglin coupler to pass through into the storage compartment, and drill large enough holes so that the Furrion mounting screws will hold without chipping the fiberglass.

The photo shows where I mounted mine, but it gives an illusion of being crooked and unevenly spaced???

IMG_2784.thumb.jpeg.e712910efaf2bf58e919a5243064205e.jpeg

With the storage compartment liner pulled back, the AC drain tube can be seen running down between the trailer walls.  This is a good guide to fish the new Juxinice cable up into the Oliver’s attic compartment.  The recommended fish rod makes this easy and you will have to unscrew and pull back the attic side panel for access.  The 90 degree end of the new Juxinice cable will be plugged into the back of the Penguin connector and other end into the Starlink modem in the attic. 

That’s it!  Replace the panels and your done.  

The Starlink Dishy cable will plug into the outside of the new connector and the Furrion fitting keeps everything dry when it’s unplugged.  Don’t worry about the rumored proprietary Starlink wiring, this is just a pass-though connection and the internal color coding of the individual wires does not matter.

I was a beta tester for Starlink when it first came out, and I still use the original Gen-1 round dishy at home and when traveling with the Oliver.  We used to run the dishy cable though the outdoor compartment door, and we kept the router and modern under the bed close to the AC outlet.  This was always kinking the cable, interfering with the compartment seal, and generally in the way.  The quick disconnect was really worth doing, and wifey is happy that she doesn’t have to crawl under the bed to pull the cable though anymore.

Watch for a future post on how to conveniently mount and store a Dishy pipe mast.

Cheers and good luck, Geoff & Tanya

• Thanks 3
  • Like 8

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
13 minutes ago, Snackchaser said:

Greetings!

I was reading some great instructions for installing Starlink inlet ports on the outside of an Oliver.  However, it was a pity that the installations required cutting and splicing the Starlink cable.  That’s a discouraging and challenging proposition, so I just signed up to this Forum to share how I did mine without cutting the cable.  My method was risk free, super easy and with quality results.  The wiring is all plug-in with about $35 worth of Amazon parts.  The router and modem is ideally located in the Oliver’s attic where there is an AC outlet and good WIFI broadcasting.  Sorry to those if I've duplicated some of their installation methods, I guess great minds just think alike.

I’ve provided a list of 3 Amazon parts, and recommended a few tools that are worth owning anyway:

Furrion Mini TV/SAT Inlet #FTVINB-PS, $11.30

Penglin #PL252, RJ45 CAT6 female to female panel mount connector, two for $14.99

Juxinice 10’ long shielded RJ45 Cat-6 cable with a 90 degree angle connector, $9.69

Neiko #10194a step drill bit, or similar, $10.99

Generic brand 14’ fiberglass fish rod, or other Amazon options under $20

It’s a good idea to first  test the parts by running an internet speed test both before and after plugging-in the new cable and connector between your dishy and router/modem.  You can use any internet speed test such as Ookla or the Starlink App, and the speeds should be about the same unless the new cable or connector is faulty.

Start your installation by unscrewing and removing the coax connector from the new Furrion fitting, then enlarge the hole with a step drill bit to accept the Penglin connector.  This is the exact same Furrion fitting that Oliver uses for the outside Cable and Satellite TV connections, so you could use one of the existing ones if you don’t need the the satellite or cable connection.

Find a relatively flat surface next to the existing Furrion cable/satellite TV fittings to install the new Furrion fitting (with the installed Penglin connector).  Unscrew the storage compartment liner so that it can be pulled back to access the area where the connector will pass through.  Using a step drill, make a hole big enough for the Penglin coupler to pass through into the storage compartment, and drill large enough holes so that the Furrion mounting screws will hold without chipping the fiberglass.

The photo shows where I mounted mine, but it gives an illusion of being crooked and unevenly spaced???

IMG_2784.thumb.jpeg.e712910efaf2bf58e919a5243064205e.jpeg

With the storage compartment liner pulled back, the AC drain tube can be seen running down between the trailer walls.  This is a good guide to fish the new Juxinice cable up into the Oliver’s attic compartment.  The recommended fish rod makes this easy and you will have to unscrew and pull back the attic side panel for access.  The 90 degree end of the new Juxinice cable will be plugged into the back of the Penguin connector and other end into the Starlink modem in the attic. 

That’s it!  Replace the panels and your done.  

The Starlink Dishy cable will plug into the outside of the new connector and the Furrion fitting keeps everything dry when it’s unplugged.  Don’t worry about the rumored proprietary Starlink wiring, this is just a pass-though connection and the internal color coding of the individual wires does not matter.

I was a beta tester for Starlink when it first came out, and I still use the original Gen-1 round dishy at home and when traveling with the Oliver.  We used to run the dishy cable though the outdoor compartment door, and we kept the router and modern under the bed close to the AC outlet.  This was always kinking the cable, interfering with the compartment seal, and generally in the way.  The quick disconnect was really worth doing, and wifey is happy that she doesn’t have to crawl under the bed to pull the cable though anymore.

Watch for a future post on how to conveniently mount and store a Dishy pipe mast.

Cheers and good luck, Geoff & Tanya

Great work and a clean fit and finish. We are considering Starlink and appreciate this info!

Patriot🇺🇸

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

Welcome to the forums; @Snackchaser don't be a stranger!

How timely, your post!  We just rec'd our Starlink Mobile kit a couple days ago. Diane works remotely and we need reliable high-speed internet access when traveling during her working schedule.   The kit is ready for install, and we've been mulling over YouTubes and determining which way we want to go for a permanent install.  Yours is brilliant and we'll be following your procedure.

A random thought regarding Dishy Mounting: 

We're liking the flag pole mount idea, but the flat roof mount is also appealing; but this requires cutting the dishy case and mounting it on some unused real estate on the roof (hard to come by on our's).  The flag pole option gets Dishy off the ground and allows for home use options when not on the road.  The flat roof mount is clean, virtually out of sight, best of all - it allows full internet access while driving;  but may lead to questionable service due to obstructions when boondocked.

What are your thoughts on Dishy placement?  Just curious.

Thanks for posting!  Cheers!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I'm confused, I received my Starlink kit a few days ago and the cable connectors are proprietary, not RJ45. What am I misunderstanding? Do you have an older model that uses RJ45 connectors? At first, I thought you had found a pass-thru connector with Star Link proprietary on one side and RJ45 on the other, but a close look at Penglin #PL252, RJ45 CAT6 female-to-female panel mount connector on Amazon appears to be RJ45 on both sides.

David & Kim | Chattanooga, TN | 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4, Hemi 6.4 | Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull# 1213

OllietimeCanadianProvinces.jpg.1e1f1e5bcc91acfa35375b7652b3b852.jpgOllietime US States.jpg

Ollietime wrote: I 'm confused, I received my Starlink kit a few days ago and the cable connectors are proprietary, not RJ45.

Interesting?  I have the original Gen-1 round dishy with the latest Starlink Gen-3 router.  Both have RJ45 connectors?  But admittedly, I’ve never looked at the Gen-2 rectangular dishy.  So I looked on-line and sure enough the Gen-2 has a different connector.  Thanks for that comment!

No worries though, my installation should still be a good option because Amazon sells the “Aosheng Rectangular Dishy Cable Adapter to RJ45” for $35.  It’s not waterproof, but that looks easy enough to address.  I’d just use a longer RJ45 cable than the one supplied, and I'd put it under the trailer out of the rain and off the ground.  Maybe in a Tupperware box thats notched for the cables.  It wouldn't be absolutely watertight, but neither are the other plug-in options.  It still beats cutting the Cable.

Cheers!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Snackchaser said:

Amazon sells the “Aosheng Rectangular Dishy Cable Adapter to RJ45”

Thank you Snackchaser, this is almost what I've been looking for. What I, and numerous other RVers, need is this adapter not only weatherproofed but mountable through a wall. I'll keep looking, surely someone makes such a thing. 🙂 

David & Kim | Chattanooga, TN | 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie 4x4, Hemi 6.4 | Legacy Elite II Twin, Hull# 1213

OllietimeCanadianProvinces.jpg.1e1f1e5bcc91acfa35375b7652b3b852.jpgOllietime US States.jpg

• 2 months later...

Is there a diagram you can show me on this? I pretty much have this down and thank you all. I just don't understand the "Aosheng Recteanglular Dishy cable adapter to Rj45" part. I have the rectangular dish, I have my dish mounted to the awning. Just want to have everything looking clean and this looks like the solution. Thank you all again.

• Like 1