Practical Size Limit

HDRider

• Moderator+
On 1/26/2024 at 10:26 AM, Steph and Dud B said:

Well, if we all pitched in...... 😁

On 1/26/2024 at 10:08 AM, topgun2 said:

I understand that EACH of the molds costs between 2 and 3 million dollars.

I'd bet that there would/are some real interesting conversations within Oliver about dropping that kind of money versus how much the finished unit would cost versus just how many of them could be sold.

But, to help answer the question - I don't see why a 30 foot Oliver couldn't be built.  

Bill

It’s the plugs that cost the money. The ones for the LEII were $1M each x four. The bigger plugs for a larger trailer would probably cost even more. From the plugs they make a mold. Each mold is good for just so many hull pulls. After each mold’s useful life is gone, it is scraped and another one built. As new exterior or interior changes are made to the hulls, the plugs are modified to include these changes in future builds. They could build a trailer as big as they deem practical. 

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4
  • Wow 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
22 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

(The one thing I really miss was specific to our last fifth wheel. The bathroom was right next to the furnace and there was a floor heat register in the bathroom just outside the shower enclosure. You'd step out of the shower and stand right over that heat vent on cold days. Wonderful.)

Electric Floor Warming Mat would fix that!  On our OE2, there is a plug just between the bathroom entrance and the wardrobe.  Plugin and enjoy!  At least until it becomes an electrifying experience.  Maybe a low voltage water proof rated one would be a safer choice.  Or you could use it to stand your hair up for a Halloween frightful hair style.  🙂

image.png.91b4dd1fd1710ae3e6bf2260360e0aac.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

19 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

They could build a trailer as big as they deem practical. 

AND commercially viable.   (IE:  Would they sell enough to amortize their costs + profit requirements. )

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

On 2/20/2024 at 5:42 PM, ScubaRx said:

There’s 800,000 square feet in their factory building. Jim Oliver was forward thinking man as are his sons that are currently running the businesses he left behind. There’s plenty of room for future expansion if they so choose. 

How much are they currently using and how much is empty?

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderator+
8 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

AND commercially viable.   (IE:  Would they sell enough to amortize their costs + profit requirements. )

That's exactly what I meant by, "...as big as they deem practical."

• Like 3

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
34 minutes ago, Jason Foster said:

How much are they currently using and how much is empty?

Over the past 16 years, I've been taken to many nooks and crannies in that building. It's so vast that you really need a golf cart to easily get around. I've even spent a couple of nights inside a while back when they were doing service on my Hull #050. It's kinda creepy inside it at night when you think you're all alone and yet you hear voices beyond and above you. Turned out it was something completely normal and not evil boo hags or haints, apparently the resident poltergeists keep those away.

I have never asked what percentage is not being used, but now that service has left for the new service center away from the factory there is that area that could be utilized. I would guess they are using about 2/3-3/4 of their floor space.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Over the past 16 years, I've been taken to many nooks and crannies in that building. It's so vast that you really need a golf cart to easily get around. I've even spent a couple of nights inside a while back when they were doing service on my Hull #050. It's kinda creepy inside it at night when you think you're all alone and yet you hear voices beyond and above you. Turned out it was something completely normal and not evil boo hags or haints, apparently the resident poltergeists keep those away.

I have never asked what percentage is not being used, but now that service has left for the new service center away from the factory there is that area that could be utilized. I would guess they are using about 2/3-3/4 of their floor space.

That would make for an incredible skating rink.

Well, if space isnt an issue, then that just leaves the plug costs and a viable market. 

• Like 1

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.

• Moderators

Back in the day, Oliver used a tiny part of the facility.  (We are #12.)  I think it's actually measured in acres. When we picked up our trailer, it was parked in part of the very empty floor.

We are so delighted  to see the parking lot filled, and space used, when we visit. 

A very forward  thinking family.

Not to mention what they have done for the Hohenwald  employment opportunities. 

In my humble opinion, it's been a great symbiosis, between  the Oliver family, and the local economy.  

Most of the current Oliver folks don't know me, but even with a 2008, I'm treated with kindness and respect, on a timely basis.

I'm sure @bugeyedriver and @ScubaRx remember  the old days. We're a few of the original 50.  

It's fun to reminisce, but even more fun to see the growth of our favorite trailer. 

Old school, fuzzy photos, below. 

I'm so very proud of their progress. Great company culture. Great trailers.

We took a chance when they were pretty much  brand new. But, my engineer husband and I know quality when we see it.16 years in, we are happy campers. 

Screenshot_20240222_202600_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240222_202710_Gallery.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 3

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:33 PM, Jason Foster said:

My bank account agrees with this assessment.   

Thank goodness my bank account did not see our Oliver! However, it has seen about $15K in upgrades to truck and trailer ever since (June 2023). Our Oliver came to being by selling a Bigfoot class C and a clean 2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder with only 12K miles! These sales netted our Oliver and another $5K net for upgrades! Our TV was purchased with proceeds from another old Ram we had for 18 years and sold the year before.

I would do anything to have an Oliver only a little wider and longer to have a true twin bed 39" wide and the length of a Queen 80" with SQUARE back corners! Why did they have to round the mold at the foot/rear of the bed? This area could bulge out a little, for those of us lengthy and well north of 200 LBS.

Nice idea, but you won't find us spending $$$$$$ (six figures+) on a new one. They would have to produce a larger Oliver for a few years, so we could get a deal used! Nice dream, but likely not going to see that day. WTF 🙃

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

On 1/27/2024 at 8:32 AM, Wandering Sagebrush said:

... a longer bunk, and most of all, a wider aisle. 

Longer bunk, YES!!! Not concerned with a wider aisle, but thanks for asking!

On 2/22/2024 at 4:13 PM, jd1923 said:

Why did they have to round the mold at the foot/rear of the bed? This area could bulge out a little, for those of us lengthy and well north of 200 LBS.

AMEN!!!!!!  Got my vote for a mold mod.  Hopefully it does not cost over a million dollars!   🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

AMEN!!!!!!  Got my vote for a mold mod.  Hopefully it does not cost over a million dollars!   🙂

My guess is that the round exterior and by default, the round interior where the beds are is stronger than a squared off section would be.  I remember the geodesic domes that were strong due to their shape.  If it was square I would guess again that there would be more stresses on the corner.  The round shape I believe is stronger.  It's all a guess on my part.  Maybe someone with a structural engineering background could verify yay or nay.  More room on the bed in a rectangular shape would be nice, but I make it work for my feet facing aft.

John

• Like 5

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

You are correct.

However fiberglass has the advantage of being cast in many ways.  From many perspectives we would want the top mold to be very aero efficient.  But the bottom could be squared off some with much less impact from an aero perspective.  This is exactly what most vehicle shapes at the rear are.  Squarish low for trunk space and aero above for efficiency.  The auto mfg's figured out how to do this with sheet metal, and the boat mfg's are doing it in fiberglass.  

That said, I'm not suggesting Ollie bottom be a cube.  Just moderate it a bit to square up a tad the sleeping corners.  Just a that.  

GJ

• Like 4

On 2/27/2024 at 12:44 AM, Geronimo John said:

You are correct. However, fiberglass has the advantage of being cast in many ways.  From many perspectives we would want the top mold to be very aero efficient... GJ

Fiberglass or any other construction needs to be strong where it will take stress (in the case of a TT, takes wind). It does NOT have to be strong in the rear of a trailer, where it will see NO wind, and my legs and feet would love to stretch!

• Like 1

I posted about my Oliver on another forum.  Its small size and wet bath were the two most common attributes that made people look to other brands. 

• Like 1

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

18 hours ago, HDRider said:

I posted about my Oliver on another forum.  Its small size and wet bath were the two most common attributes that made people look to other brands. 

I wonder if they would still feel the same if they pulled a larger stick built trailer several thousand miles, then had the chance to tow an Oliver an equal distance.  Also, I was hesitant about a wet bath until I saw how easy it was to keep clean.

John

• Like 4

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

5 hours ago, John Welte said:

I wonder if they would still feel the same if they pulled a larger stick built trailer several thousand miles, then had the chance to tow an Oliver an equal distance.  Also, I was hesitant about a wet bath until I saw how easy it was to keep clean.

John

Most of the folks went to Bigfoot (space, dry bath) or Casita (price) if they did not go stick built.  I guess a lot of stick built people pull to a spot and stay there for a long time.

• Sad 2

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

15 hours ago, HDRider said:

Most of the folks went to Bigfoot (space, dry bath) or Casita (price) if they did not go stick built.  I guess a lot of stick built people pull to a spot and stay there for a long time.

And the Stick Built Owners that like to boondock off hard surface roads become Ollie Owners as a result of their stick builts falling apart.

Love my OE2!

GJ

• Like 2
  • Haha 1