Draining Freshwater Tank

In winterizing our trailer, I am encountering a challenge draining the freshwater tank. To get it to drain completely (which I have still not accomplished, according to the tank monitor), I am cranking up the front of the trailer and the opposite side, and it is a time-consuming process. Has anyone encountered similar issues, or does anyone have any tips? I checked the forum, but did not find any posts directly on point.

TV:  2008 F-350 Crew Cab, 6.4L diesel, 4WD, custom flatbed with storage boxes, Line-X underbody coating      OLLIE:  2022 OE1 Hull 885, Lithium batteries (260AH), 230W solar panels, 2000W Pro inverter, Dometic AC w/Easy Start, Truma Tankless Comfort water heater

ALAZARCACOGAILKSKYMONVNMNCOKSCTNTXUTsm.j

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

I usually open the fresh water tank drain and sometimes raise the front end a little.  I can take a while, depending on how full the tank is but usually less than one hour. I’m suspicious that your tank sensor may still show some water in the tank when it is actually empty or nearly so.  A little water in the fresh water tank is not a problem.  A little fresh water in the lines or traps is.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Robert and Cheryl, Louisville, KY, Legacy Elite II Hull #1390 Oliphino, TV F250 Tremor

Look under your curbside bed, and locate the drain. Pull the heater ducting out of the way and there is a simple valve. Make sure this is pushed down to touch the floor. The outlet can get pushed up, and if pushed up enough, it can be above the tank height.

OTT should, may I say SHOULD strap this line to the floor, but they don't! And because they do not, the drain WILL move up.

An easier way to fix, if you’re like me always crawling under trucks, trailers and the sort, is to climb under the rear passenger side tire, find the blue PEX drain and pull it down hard. Given the front of your TT is somewhat higher than the rear, you should be 98% empty.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Thank you both. I will check the outlet tomorrow and make sure it is down as far as it can go.

I did finally get the sensor to read 0. I realize that some water in the tank is not a major issue. I am paying more attention to this at this time, though, since I am concerned that the sensors are not measuring properly and/or I am not completely draining my tanks. (I have been getting some odd readings for the waste tanks.)

Thanks again for your advice.

• Like 1

TV:  2008 F-350 Crew Cab, 6.4L diesel, 4WD, custom flatbed with storage boxes, Line-X underbody coating      OLLIE:  2022 OE1 Hull 885, Lithium batteries (260AH), 230W solar panels, 2000W Pro inverter, Dometic AC w/Easy Start, Truma Tankless Comfort water heater

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Ollie Ollie in Free said:

since I am concerned that the sensors are not measuring properly and/or I am not completely draining my tanks. (I have been getting some odd readings for the waste tanks.)

This is entirely another and separate issue.  These sensors will generally get you "in the ballpark", but, if you really want to know if you are on third base or over in right field you are probably not going to be happy with your readings.😢

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

This is entirely another and separate issue.  These sensors will generally get you "in the ballpark", but, if you really want to know if you are on third base or over in right field you are probably not going to be happy with your readings.😢

Bill

You mean it is like the gas gauge in my truck, not the digital information?

Mossey

• Haha 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Ollie Ollie in Free said:

I am cranking up the front of the trailer and the opposite side, and it is a time-consuming process.

I often take the outside shower head off of the hose and pump it out.  Something else to try is opening the fresh water drain valve on your way home from a camping trip.  Although I would much rather water my property than the road.

Mossey

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

2 hours ago, mossemi said:

Something else to try is opening the fresh water drain valve on your way home from a camping trip.  Although I would much rather water my property than the road.

Excellent suggestion. If anyone complains, I can just tell them the trailer has BPH. 🤣

• Haha 2

I always travel with water in the tank.  Too many times stuff happens and I find we end up needing it.  (Pants find a greasy Anderson ball, wife wants to stay an extra day, dirty hands from flat tire, emergency mess that needs cleaning, grand kiddo's find mud pit to play in, etc.)

You are correct it is a painfully slow process to drain the fresh water tank. It should not be that slooooow.  I postulate that I have poly shavings blocking the outlet.  As deep as the drain valve is buried, I have not even considered trying to remove them from the tank, valve and discharge line without flooding the hull in the process.  

So, for draining the tank, I do it overnight before winterization the next day.

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Geronimo John said:

So, for draining the tank, I do it overnight before winterization the next day.

Thanks. I think that is the process I will adopt for the future (in addition to the rolling drainage suggested by mossemi).

53 minutes ago, Ollie Ollie in Free said:

Thanks. I think that is the process I will adopt for the future (in addition to the rolling drainage suggested by mossemi).

OK, I'll fess up....

About half the time I forget to drain over night and end up having Ollie pee on the highway........  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Tipping the front of the trailer as high as I could worked for me.

I also open the valve on the last leg of the trip home.

It is a finicky operation. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

5 hours ago, HDRider said:

Tipping the front of the trailer as high as I could worked for me.

I also open the valve on the last leg of the trip home.

It is a finicky operation. 

You can have the front of your TT 2-3 FT above the rear and if the drain valve is not seated on the floor, your Fresh Tank can stay half full! (See my post above.)

I made a comment about leaving the drain open in another thread and was warned of the authorities not liking that. We do it on roads less traveled, or just drain in our driveway while unloading. Our driveway is steep enough.

With everything right, why does draining the Fresh Tank take so long? Because the drain valve has a 1/4" ID opening. See my pic, when I had replaced all OEM valves with motorized ball valves. Those are 1/4" and 3/8" drill bits to illustrate ID size. Every PEX connector reduces the 1/2" pipe to 3/8" and all the valves installed in our 2016 hull had 1/4" ID. Our motorized drain valve now has a 12mm opening which allows the tank to drain in half the time!

Love the motorized valves since they are less restrictive. Also love the convenience of pulling extra water from your TV when the onboard fresh empties after for us 3-4 overnights boondocking. We fill the Fresh tank again and still have another 10-15 gallons for a third fill if needed. We leave home with over 65 gallons fresh water. And when we get home, I drain what's left in two fresh tanks!  

OTT old plumbing parts.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

5 hours ago, jd1923 said:

Love the motorized valves since they are less restrictive.

That's a great upgrade. 

• Thanks 1

When I drain our fresh water tank I first turn on the pump then open the kitchen and bathroom faucets until the pump stops pulling from the tank, after that I open the drain valve and raise the front of the trailer, doing it that way only takes about 30 min or less to drain. Of course, then I have to drain the gray water tank which I try to dump on some nearby foliage. 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

9 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

When I drain our fresh water tank I first turn on the pump then open the kitchen and bathroom faucets until the pump stops pulling from the tank, after that I open the drain valve and raise the front of the trailer, doing it that way only takes about 30 min or less to drain.

I like that idea. It accomplishes two objectives: draining the freshwater tank and flushing the grey tank.