I am getting ready for a trip tomorrow.  I turned on the AC and it made a load growling sound but appeared to run normally otherwise.

I let it run about 10 minutes and then turned it off.  I turned it back on and it sounded normal.

Is this something anyone else has experienced with the Truma AC?

Jeff & Cindy - NE Arkansas - 2023 Legacy Elite II - Twin Bed - Hull #1423

TV - 2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4x4

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
Posted (edited)

Just checked on it and the growl is back.

I turned it on again and sat there for awhile.  The growl came back when the compressor kicked on (I guess that is what kicked on).

It seems to be cooling.  You could feel a vibration through out the trailer matching the growl when the growl noise came back.

Edited by HDRider

I turned it to fan mode and the growl goes away.

I put it into AC mode and the growl comes back.  I'd say that is the compressor making the noise.

The whole trailer shudders as the compressor winds down. 

Help!

@HDRider I've never even seen a Truma A/C, but you have a bearing noise, in the fan or fan motor, that I'm certain. On our recent trip the blower motor in my truck was doing the same thing. Mine was more of a squeal that would change pitch with the fan speed. I pulled the blower motor the other day and it was making the same noise connected to 12V on my workbench.

Good news is that if you can live with it on your trip, yes it will be annoying, but you should be OK for a while (unless going away for months). I see your Oliver is only a year old, so it should have some life in it. The way to get rid of the noise is to change fan speeds or turn off and on as you have done.

I read Truma service is impossible, but plan on that in your near future. These are not serviceable bearings. The fan assembly and/or fan motor should be replaced. Yours should be under warranty. Bad time of year for it with summer coming and RV Service shops being booked months out. I would open a ticket on it asap for warranty repair.

I hope to upgrade my AC this year or next. Reading too many posts on both Truma products on this forum. One member even changed out his on-demand HWH for the old fashioned 6-gal Suburban! I will upgrade to a unit where I can source replaceable parts and service the unit myself.

• Like 1

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, HDRider said:

I turned it to fan mode and the growl goes away.

I put it into AC mode and the growl comes back.  I'd say that is the compressor making the noise.

The whole trailer shudders as the compressor winds down. 

Help!

I have no idea of how the Truma is constructed, but I've seen the same happen on other brands when the rubber isolation mounts between the compressor and the base of the unit go bad or are missing. When that happens all the compressor vibration travels straight through to the camper.

Edit: Also, I've seen where the compressor jumps up off the mounts after hitting a large pothole or rough stretch of road. Definitely not the blower motor if the sound only comes and goes with the compressor engaging.

Edited by CRM
  • Like 4

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

You got me on this one. I did not fully consider this line, "I turned it to fan mode and the growl goes away." So yes, in this case I agree with @CRM that it must be compressor related.

If this exclusive product, just one year old can "jump up off the mounts" Truma as a product line has way too many issues. Truma Water Heat Fire in the Hole - Mechanical & Technical Tips - Oliver Owner Forums (olivertraveltrailers.com) and there are more complaints.

So never mind what I wrote about changing fan speeds, turning off-n-on, etc. That will not work. Perhaps you need to get that compressor back on its mounts, whatever that entails. Very sorry this is happening to you when you have immediate travel plans.

• Like 1

It was a dirt dauber nest.  Got on the trailer, took off the top of the AC, cleaned the nest and all is good with world.  I am now sitting in my campsite with a happy wife.

It is hard to see how the little bugger got in there it is very well sealed, but he did.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/23/2024 at 3:18 AM, HDRider said:

It is hard to see how the little bugger got in there it is very well sealed, but he did.

with SOB, I had those buggers in places that made no sense.  That trailer was stored under shade, but with no cover.  If mud dobbers are prevalent where you store your Ollie, you may want to consider at least covering the AC with a form fitting cover or better the whole trailer.  ADCO make a "relatively inexpensive one.  PM if info desired.

GJ

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Oliver told me to put panty hose over the vents..I found some QUEEN size white panty hose and cut the panty out and they fit pretty good..cheap fix. Take them off before turning the refrigerator on. 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 2

On 6/2/2024 at 4:23 PM, Nan said:

Oliver told me to put panty hose over the vents. I found some QUEEN size white panty hose and cut the panty out and they fit pretty good..cheap fix. Take them off before turning the refrigerator on. 

They really said that OMG! Not sure how that would weather over time, but I could be wrong. My first thought would be nylon screening (not nylons) that you could buy a small roll at Lowes or the Depot. It is a coarser weave than women's nylons, but is designed to be exposed to the elements for exterior use. 

20 hours ago, jd1923 said:

It is a coarser weave than women's nylons,

Huh?

20 hours ago, jd1923 said:

but is designed to be exposed to the elements for exterior use. 

NOW you're talk'n!  HA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

On 6/3/2024 at 4:47 PM, jd1923 said:

Oliver told me to put panty hose over the vents. I found some QUEEN size white panty hose and cut the panty out and they fit pretty good..cheap fix. Take them off before turning the refrigerator on. 

JD:

I am wondering how big those QUEEN size panty hose must be to get around the Air Conditioner unit on the roof.  I can see them working well on the refrigerator vents.  But the topic of this thread is the AC mud daubers.  Kindly "EXPAND" on your vision because mine is watching you trying to install them on the roof.  LOL   

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

@Geronimo John, I'm not sure how this occurs, but 2-3 times now it appears like you are quoting me, be instead quoting a post that I had previously commented.

My previous comment to @Nan who wrote the quote in your post was as follows: "They really said that OMG! Not sure how that would weather over time, but I could be wrong. My first thought would be nylon screening (not nylons) that you could buy a small roll at Lowes or the Depot. It is a coarser weave than women's nylons but is designed to be exposed to the elements for exterior use."

You're not catching me with women's nylons. Where do you even purchase those things today? I have a faint memory of my wife wearing such, on a special occasion, say back in the early 90's. We are not inviting to, nor attend the parties of the elites, where in big cities such dress may be expected! 🤣 

Why am I even commenting on a Truma post? Don't own any of their products and likely will not. OTT suggesting women's nylons for pest control just got me thinking, what the...?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, jd1923 said:

@Geronimo John, I'm not sure how this occurs, but 2-3 times now it appears like you are quoting me, be instead quoting a post that I had previously commented.

This has happened with me a few times, as well; guess ‘things’ get discombobulated when crossing the Pacific! Better to invoke understanding rather than provoke Crazy Horse!

Edited by Ronbrink
  • Like 1

2020 OLEll, Twin, 579

2012 Silverado 1500 4x4

No installed solar, Renogy 40A DC-DC charger, 460Ah LFP battery bank/Victron SmartShunt, Hughes Autoformer, dual Lagun tables

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, jd1923 said:

It's either a brain anonolly by a RoF or I'm trying to drive you off the edge!  Or maybe it was a silly joke!

🙂

JPR

Edited by Geronimo John
  • Love 1

In reality it was an OOPs...  Sorry about that!

GJ

We have a lot of mud daubers here in Texas and this was my very first thought when you talked about that noise.  I hate those things.

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel 4X4 Truck

2024 Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull 1460

ARILINIAKSKYLAMIMNMONMOHOKPASDTNTXVAmed.