Tundra/Sequoia V6 Engine Recall

1 hour ago, MAX Burner said:

We're north of 35k miles with zero issues - if we make it to 75k we might be good.  The spread sheet showed very few failures in the higher mileage range.  The engine/drivetrain warranty is 100k, it would be nice to get a new motor at about 99k!  HA!

I like how you think!!!!!!! 👍

• Haha 1

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
On 6/4/2024 at 4:29 AM, MAX Burner said:

it would be nice to get a new motor at about 99k!  HA!

Roger that.  I'm thinking the exact thing with the Ford EcoBoost Phasers.  

GJ

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Toyota has not been replacing engines - they have been replacing short blocks only.  That requires the service techs at dealers to rebuild the engine using a lot of the “used” components - heads, etc.  Some owners are now on their third engines.  Others have gone the lemon law route, which is what I would do since I wouldn’t trust a dealer tech to have the skills and equipment to rebuild an engine vs. full replacement. Certainly they don’t have the clean room that might exist at the manufacturing facility. 

Hard to accept the “debris” excuse, as I believe the LX engines might be made in Japan, versus the Tundra and Sequoia engines being made domestically - unless exact same processes are being used in both engine plants. Anyone heard differently? 

This is going to be costly, both in money and in reputation, for Toyota.  I’m glad I didn’t make the leap to the new generation Tundra, Sequoia or LX.  

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

2020 Elite II Hull #628, Houghton Heat Pump, Victron install in progress...

TV - 2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4WD, Magnuson Supercharger, OME suspension

5 hours ago, katanapilot said:

Hard to accept the “debris” excuse, as I believe the LX engines might be made in Japan, versus the Tundra and Sequoia engines being made domestically - unless exact same processes are being used in both engine plants. Anyone heard differently? 

I have a hard time believing the whole debris excuse myself. If that was truly the cause I would think they'd be replacing whole engines and not just short blocks since some "debris" would likely find it's way up to the cam bearings too.

• Like 1

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

image.thumb.jpeg.750bea8a04c5ff85ec3b6d2c87f8945e.jpeg

This is what is required to replace the engine on a Tundra.  I sure would not want this done to my brand new truck.  

• Sad 3

TV - 2011 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum 4WD, Magnuson Supercharger, OME suspension

Posted (edited)

I wonder how this recall will impact the fair market resale or trade in value of repaired/recalled trucks? Who would purchase a previously recalled used truck? Personally I would pass. The recall history and engine replacement or rebuild will be a permanent VIN record with Toyota. 
Toyota has a massive undertaking is an understatement not only in addressing this the recall, but from a PR and future buyers trust point of view. I have previously owned (3) Tundras and was very happy with all three trucks. It’s sad that the Toyota brand is taking such a hit. 

My hopes are Toyota steps up and does the right thing, it would certainly be in their best interest. 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 4

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

Posted (edited)

@rideandfly

Bill,

I noticed you updated your signature, well done sir!

Bill & Debbie / 2015 LE2 #75 / 2024 F-150 5.0L / North Carolina

Welcome to the Ford Family, and congratulations to you and Debbie on your new TV.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 2

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

On 6/5/2024 at 7:07 PM, katanapilot said:

Toyota has not been replacing engines - they have been replacing short blocks only.  That requires the service techs at dealers to rebuild the engine using a lot of the “used” components - heads, etc.  Some owners are now on their third engines.  

Oh my...  If their "Roger Up" was not factual, then their creditability is also on the line.  That PR debacle cost wise will outweigh financially the engine problem cost.  It now appears that the Short Block answer simply is not going far enough. 

Sadly the Ford process was, and continues to be mismanaged from a PR and future customer relations perspective.  The right thing to do in their case was to warrant their engines with the defective design cam phasers with no mileage or time limit.  Not doing so has so many of us angry that I suspect a Class Action law suit will happen.  More bad PR for Ford when it happens. 

GJ   

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

On 6/7/2024 at 4:57 AM, katanapilot said:

This is what is required to replace the engine on a Tundra.  I sure would not want this done to my brand new truck.  

Ditto for the Ford cam phaser issue.

image.png.2756c33189b1b8b25b501bb522d62ad3.png

Headed to the local Toyota dealership later this AM for scheduled oil change - will have a followup report on what their Engine Recall position is thereafter.  I'm getting the old oil analyzed nonetheless.

• Like 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

So... just returned from engine oil change, rear diff oil change, brake inspection, and (drum roll, please...) engine recall exam.

Toyota's position (at the local dealership, that is) is that the engine recall last week was a preliminary "notification" of an impending engine recall after they determine what the scope of the recall will be, this includes service tech training as needed, parts, logistics, recall procedures (for the fix), etc.  

I ordered an engine oil analysis from a third party vendor as part of my service ticket this morning.  Should take a few weeks for the results.  Wish I could report more.

...FYI

Edited by MAX Burner
  • Like 7

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Man oh man….. We’ve had two tundras.. a 2011 and currently a 2016. Add Debs 20 some odd years of Tacomas and it’s safe to say we are Toyota fans. Our 2016 has 188k miles currently, the 2011 had 125k when we sold it . All good, issue free miles. We started shopping for a new Tundra a couple weeks ago, figuring it was time, and figuring it would be a no brainer… just get a new one…why drive anything else.. 

We took one out for a test drive, a Limited Hybrid….. and didn’t like it.. We couldn't believe it… 

A couple days later, we stopped by a Ford dealer and took an F150 XLT Hybrid for a spin, figuring we better do our due diligence and much to our surprise, we liked it a lot. 

I haven’t spent much time on the Oliver Forum for months now, and just happened to check in this evening…. And the first thread I checked out was this one…and I’m glad I did…

I think..

Now I’m wondering what other stuff I’ve been missing  around here.. 🙂

• Like 1

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Go to Youtube.com and listen to what "The Car Care Nut" has to say about the 3.4 twin turbo engine issues its. This guys know his stuff.  I have an older Tundra 2000 has over 250K on it and runs like new except for the rattles after all these years of off road. Old Tundra just doesn't have the beans to pull my Elite 1 up hills like I want so I have a GX550 coming.  Not affraid of the 3.4 twin turbo and it puts out decent power. All this new high tech without enough research and testing is what's causing all these issues now day. Manufactures need to test these new gagets more before releasing it to the public and using them as ginypigs. 

1 hour ago, Old and slow said:

Go to Youtube.com and listen to what "The Car Care Nut" has to say about the 3.4 twin turbo engine issues its. This guys know his stuff.  I have an older Tundra 2000 has over 250K on it and runs like new except for the rattles after all these years of off road. Old Tundra just doesn't have the beans to pull my Elite 1 up hills like I want so I have a GX550 coming.  Not affraid of the 3.4 twin turbo and it puts out decent power. All this new high tech without enough research and testing is what's causing all these issues now day. Manufactures need to test these new gagets more before releasing it to the public and using them as ginypigs. 

The GX550 is a beautiful vehicle.  I would be hesitant to buy one right now as it's the same V35A engine (although slightly de-tuned) as the ones listed in the recall.  2024 Tundras aren't being recalled (yet), even though there are reports of engine failures in them as well. I'm sure there will be a fix, but I would wait until that fix is implemented at the factory.  Really don't want a service tech at the dealer pulling and rebuilding a very complex twin-turbo V6.  But maybe that's just me.

I'm a huge Toyota/Lexus fan and a former Boeing employee.  Both companies that I have (had) tremendous respect for have really let a lot of people down...

• Like 3