Discoloration on propane cover

I'm seeing a yellowish discoloration in a band around the top of our propane cover.

PXL_20240805_001704145.thumb.jpg.07facfa236851167c1fa3a25bacacb39.jpg

Hard to describe, but it looks like the white pigment in the gelcoat is wearing off, leaving this one area slightly yellowish, but still very smooth. The trailer has been washed after each trip, kept waxed, and garaged when not in use. Haven't seen this on any other part of the hull. Tried a bit of wax on this area, but it didn't change. Any ideas?

Edited by Steph and Dud B
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Care 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
  • Moderators

I'd open a ticket with Oliver. Our 2008 has nothing like that, and it is not garaged.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We had very similar discoloration earlier this year.  We had loaned out our trailer to a relative for a few weeks while she was moving from one house to another.  She had laid our rubber backed doormat on the cover because she didn't care for it.  We used rubbing compound followed by polishing compound and it took care of the yellowing.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Steve & Mary Allyn

San Antonio, TX

2022 LE II Hull #969 "Un Œuf", 2021 MB Sprinter 3500 "Polly"

My doghouse has developed similar yellow areas, mostly where the surface planes transition and along edges. Has only been washed and waxed. Planning to try polishing and buffing to see if it goes away. Interested in what you learn from Oliver

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

I had something similar happen on an old boat that had been compounded with an orbital buffer one too many times. The gelcoat became so thin that you could see the fiberglass showing through in spots. I hope that's not what is going on with your doghouse...

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

18 minutes ago, CRM said:

I had something similar happen on an old boat that had been compounded with an orbital buffer one too many times. The gelcoat became so thin that you could see the fiberglass showing through in spots. I hope that's not what is going on with your doghouse...

I hope not either as I have only hand washed and hand waxed since new. 

• Like 1

2021 Elite II, Hull# 898

2018 Toyota Tundra, 2003 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9l SRW

17 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I'm seeing a yellowish discoloration in a band around the top of our propane cover.

PXL_20240805_001704145.thumb.jpg.07facfa236851167c1fa3a25bacacb39.jpg

Hard to describe, but it looks like the white pigment in the gelcoat is wearing off, leaving this one area slightly yellowish, but still very smooth. The trailer has been washed after each trip, kept waxed, and garaged when not in use. Haven't seen this on any other part of the hull. Tried a bit of wax on this area, but it didn't change. Any ideas?

Strange. I need to check ours. I spray it with ceramic coating after washing after each trip. Not seen anything that sticks out, but I will check

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

20 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Opened a ticket. There hasn't been anything placed on the cover but I could try rubbing/polishing compounds. Thanks.

Then maybe it's just a coincidence that it happened to ours when it wasn't parked at home with us. The yellowing on ours looked just like your photo.  Before the doghouse cover yellowed, our trailer had only been hand-washed and waxed too. 

Steve & Mary Allyn

San Antonio, TX

2022 LE II Hull #969 "Un Œuf", 2021 MB Sprinter 3500 "Polly"

Seems like OTT has a different manufacturing or finishing process for the doghouse. Interested in their response. Ours looks no worse since our front end gelcoat is quite oxidized, more flat not glossy. 

Chris & John in Prescott, AZ | 2016 EII #113 | '01 Ram 2500 Cummins!