Dissolvent for neoprene rubber damn below awning?

routlaw

The white neoprene rubber (I think) gasket that is installed just below the awning to sort of but not really divert water on my Elite II was deteriorating and rotting significantly. This afternoon I finally decided to take the thing off which has now left a long line of black rubber where it was glued down. I have tried Acetone, denatured alcohol, naphtha, and mineral spirits to loosen or dissolve the remainder none of them worked. Its my understanding heat guns will only harden neoprene and it doesn't sound like a safe method around FG anyway.

For those of you who have removed this gasket just curious what method you used to remove the final residue?

Thanks

Edited by routlaw

Legacy Elite II #70

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Travel Trailers for Sale
New Travel Trailers for Sale
1 hour ago, routlaw said:

The white neoprene rubber (I think) gasket that is installed just below the awning to sort of but not really divert water on my Elite II was deteriorating and rotting significantly. This afternoon I finally decided to take the thing off which has now left a long line of black rubber where it was glued down. I have tried Acetone, denatured alcohol, naphtha, and mineral spirits to loosen or dissolve the remainder none of them worked. Its my understanding heat guns will only harden neoprene and it doesn't sound like a safe method around FG anyway.

For those of you who have removed this gasket just curious what method you used to remove the final residue?

Thanks

Use a plastic razorblade in conjunction with a safe solvent. There have been several who have removed that gasket. Hopefully they will chime in.

• Like 1

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

11 hours ago, John Dorrer said:

Use a plastic razorblade in conjunction with a safe solvent. There have been several who have removed that gasket. Hopefully they will chime in.

Same here - orange plastic razor blades and Goof Off worked for getting ours off...

• Like 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. Was able to remove it with bug and tar remover but still a lot of messy work. Will do a final clean, polish/wax later today if it doesn’t rain. Not sure why Oliver ever made the decision to install these things in the first place. All mine ever did was create a damn for debris and organic detritus. 

Thanks again.

• Like 2

Legacy Elite II #70

1 hour ago, routlaw said:

Not sure why Oliver ever made the decision to install these things in the first place.

It's for those of us who live in rainy climates, and don't want a waterfall running down the side of the trailer, and soaking everything within a couple of feet. It has rained every single trip except one since we bought our trailer! ⛈️😠⛈️

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg.d9d6547ab1cd0cc5803e63d1a54214de.jpg

2 hours ago, Steve Morris said:

It's for those of us who live in rainy climates, and don't want a waterfall running down the side of the trailer, and soaking everything within a couple of feet. It has rained every single trip except one since we bought our trailer! ⛈️😠⛈️

Yep. I get home and spray all along there. Then follow up with mop and soap. I would never consider removing it. To each his own🙃

• Like 3

John & Susan Dorrer, 2013 F250, 6.2 gasser, 4x4, 2022 Legacy Elite 2, twin beds, Hull #1045, Jolli Olli

-ALARCOIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMAMIMNMSMOMTNENHNYimage.jpeg.9e7303babcb28d7f6badb799734c6e44.jpeg

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

I pulled ours off after 4 years, it came off cleanly with very little residue.  Haven’t missed it…. Mike

Must be something with that Texas heat, took me a few hours of really messy work. You are lucky.

• Like 1

Legacy Elite II #70

If I ever decided to remove it, I would consider installing the 1/2" rain gutter the entire length and as close to the awning so it didn't stick out and look unsightly. That way the area would be open and easy to clean, and keep most of the rain out.

• Like 1

This "awning dam" appears to be a geographically necessary option.  In the Great SW USA, we haven't missed ours in the least - however, if we lived east of the Mississippi, we'd probably have left it up there!  Cheers, all!

• Like 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg