Security lock for Oliver

geO

I wanted to get some security before I head to pick up my Oliver. Could I ask a couple of clarifying questions to be sure I'm understanding what everyone is saying?  For best practice, I need The Collar thing (like in the Amazon links in the thread) and that helps when Oliver is attached to the tow vehicle; it helps bad people from stealing it when, say, I stop at a grocery store. Then the other one is for when you are parked and the Oliver is not connected to the tow vehicle so people cannot hitch up the Oliver and drive away with it?

Then it sounds like the consensus it to get the best lock I can (especially if I'll be full-timing so the Oliver will pretty much be a permanent risk) and that is probably the Gushill The Bull ASSA. Am I understanding all of this?

And the super newbie questions...on the Gushill site there is the choice between the 2" and the 2 5/8" ... which one is the correct size for the Elite II? And is any of this affected by the fact that I had the Anderson hitch added to my trailer.

Thanks, in advance!

• Moderators
I found the collar lock we use , both while towing and camped, on Amazon. When camped, we add the hitch lock above. https://www.amazon.com/Collar-Trailer-Bulldog-style-Couplers-Including/dp/B00HL2NM0K Screenshot_20170408-115811

This is what we use, with an Asus lock. A determined thief will win, this is just deterrence. Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 2 years later...

This is what I am ordering for our Ollie while parked at the campground. These are very strong locks.
Do not loose the key. 

https://www.provenlocks.com/products/model-2178-b

And this will be used while towing-

F6C73849-2A0D-4B52-908B-9924FFBD1CD7.png

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

We pick up our Oliver in March and I am also looking for a high quality lock.  These two are at the top of my list.  Leaning towards the Proven Industries lock.  It’s expensive but so is the Oliver. A little peace of mind is worth it to me.

5C67F8C0-4E1D-4735-B241-020FA01EECFB.png

79B87F21-2241-4B4A-AFB6-597158C22D59.png

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I saw a blurb on the new Ft Knox channel lock, to prevent a thief from swapping couplers by locking up the bolts.

🙃 i wonder if it would fit the  Oliver tongue?

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I really like my Proven Industries Lock. Pricey yes, but so is the Oliver.  There are interesting videos from Proven Industries showing just how easy it is to disable many other locks.  If you are worried about someone swapping out the tongue you could always have the bolts tack welded.  At some point if someone wants it bad enough they could always come by and winch it onto a flatbed.

Edited by Ken_Judy
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Ken_Judy said:

I really like my Proven Industries Lock. Pricey yes, but so is the Oliver.  There are interesting videos from Proven Industries showing just how easy it is to disable many other locks.  If you are worried about someone swapping out the tongue you could always have the bolts tack welded.  At some point if someone wants it bad enough they could always come by and winch it onto a flatbed.

Ken_Judy, yes indeed the videos on defeating other locks is pretty convincing. I have used a Proven lock on our previous camper standard coupler. I would lock it up and know that I did my level best to secure the coupler. If nothing else it your camper will certainly not be a soft target. I will also say the Proven lock is heavy as a boat anchor due to over the top engineering. Having owned one, IMO worth the peace of mind you have done your best to secure your Ollie. 
Happy Camping!

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg

Jason Walmsley migrated the forum to a new platform last October. The forum is so much better, faster, better features, and much better search tools. 

However, I have found that many of the links I had saved to forum pages no longer work. Sometimes I can find them by using the Forum Search box with the words from the title of the post (which are found in the link). Sometimes that does not work, and that seems to be the case with the bullnose hitch lock. 

But I did a google search and I think I found John Davies' original post on a website called sourcesoftsolution, https://forumtest.sourcesoftsolutions.com/topic/1331-bullnose-hitch-lock/ .

Edited by DavidS
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I ordered our new 2178-B Provenlock  last Wednesday afternoon and it arrived this morning. Fast shipping from FLA to NC and very well packaged. We upgraded to the optional stainless Steel puck and Medeco lock. I may just order another spare set of keys from Medeco it comes with (2). 

BCFF354C-AB07-45E9-8B58-5C6ABAAF9214.jpeg

B4F16F0A-786B-45AD-9CDD-09285B5CFFFF.jpeg

1A52F0D5-8439-4B18-BF2A-1B48F6765BAF.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

IMG_2879.jpeg