Organizing your Oliver

What to bring/what not to bring and where to store what you do bring?  Having owned several different types of RVs (TT, 5th-wheel, small MH), I know It takes many attempts to get this right. 

For me, a new RV presents a fresh start.  Moving from a van with a fair amount of basement storage to a small TT where some items will need to be stored in the TV, what to bring and where to put it will be my initial challenge.   Once the basic organization is achieved, sometimes by trial and error,  I will move on to fine tuning the details and adding little personal touches to make our camping experience more enjoyable.  Being an efficiency freak, I will savor every minute of this process; my husband, on the other hand, will just be shaking his head (perhaps this is how we have managed to be married 44 years?).  Not to worry - past experience tells me my efforts will be rewarded, and he always appreciates the resulting organization.

With this in mind, know that each of us has a unique perception of what is "necessary" for camping.  Some desire the comforts and conveniences of home; others just want to leave home behind and simply enjoy nature in its raw state.  Most of us fall somewhere in between.  The first step to organizing your Ollie is determining where you want to be in respect to home vs nature.

My preference puts me somewhere in the middle, but my personality often gets in the way.  The what if side of me results in too much stuff, but my efficiency mindset is troubled by the inconvenience of digging through all this stuff to access what I need.  In the end, much (or maybe I should say, most) of what I thought was necessary interferes with the enjoyment of our camping experience.  My best advice comes from the old adage, A place for everything and everything in its place.  You will waste less time finding what you need and have more time to enjoy your reason for camping - whatever that may be.

One of the many features that attracted me to the Oliver is its overall simplicity; nothing is complicated or overstated.  That being said, I expect efficiency will be attained much quicker than in previous RVs.  Keeping things simple will be top priority as we settle in to enjoy our new Oliver.  The only thing holding us back is waiting for it to be built!

What have you done to organize your Ollie?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Whether we are heading out for a 3 day weekend or a  3 week trip, Krunch packs about 10 pairs of shoes and boots and another 10 pairs of sandals and flip flops. Then she adds about 20 outfits, you know top and shorts or pants.  Add in 20 pairs of socks and unmentionables.

Then she packs the refrigerator, freezer, pantry and bathroom.  Then she mentions that if I took the ladder out of the closet, she could put some jackets and rain coats in there.  And then she what’s to know why I need the OTT manuals and other information a Boy Scout would deem necessities.  This usually leaves me with the attic as my closet!  
And this is how I have survived 45 years of wedded bliss!  
Yes dear, you are probably right.  And notice I did slip a "probably" in there, as I am still the man of the trailer.

Mossey

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

45 minutes ago, mossemi said:

Whether we are heading out for a 3 day weekend or a  3 week trip, Krunch packs about 10 pairs of shoes and boots and another 10 pairs of sandals and flip flops. Then she adds about 20 outfits, you know top and shorts or pants.  Add in 20 pairs of socks and unmentionables.

Then she packs the refrigerator, freezer, pantry and bathroom.  Then she mentions that if I took the ladder out of the closet, she could put some jackets and rain coats in there.  And then she what’s to know why I need the OTT manuals and other information a Boy Scout would deem necessities.  This usually leaves me with the attic as my closet!  
And this is how I have survived 45 years of wedded bliss!  
Yes dear, you are probably right.  And notice I did slip a "probably" in there, as I am still the man of the trailer.

Mossey

I can relate!  But, honestly, I have tried to meet my DH half-way.  For 3 day trips I can forgo a lot of the shoes and a jacket for every weather possibility.  I just pack a few layers and feel safe; I will get by.  Anything longer, I can't seem to cross the line.  I guess us gals just have too many choices when it comes to our wardrobes:  It might get cold? . . . . thermal, down and fleece; it might rain? . . . . . waterproof jacket and shoes; abundant sunshine? . . . . . . tank tops, capris and flip flops.  Not to mention bike clothes, hiking clothes, kayak clothes, out to dinner clothes . . . . . . etc. . . . . . . and all the associated gear.  I didn't need all that stuff when I was working.  When I retired I traded "career-wear" for "play-wear" 😀

My strategy was put to the test last Spring when we took our first ever, two-week road trip to the SW.  It was the end of May and a snowstorm hit northern AZ.  Me . . . . . I drag out my down vest . . . . . . DH only packed his usual jeans, dungaree shirts and T's . . . . . the closest thing he had to a jacket was a fleece 1/4-zip (he doesn't even own anything down (besides a sleeping bag); down is for "sissies". It makes me proud that 3 of our 4 boys have down in their closets.

Actually, I'm a pretty good packer.  I can get all my "stuff" in the two overhead compartments, a small wardrobe and an under-bed cubby (for shoes) of our small motorhome.   With the Oliver, I can also pack a couple of totes in the pickup - no problem.

I will have to commend my husband.  Since retiring he has added a few items to his wardrobe: hiking shoes, water shoes, long-underwear, and a sun hat. but I still haven't convinced him to add a down jacket or quick-dry pants.  

• Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators

Perhaps he'll be convinced to get a pair or two of those quick-dry pants when he can no longer find a storage place for the depends 🤣?

• Haha 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Our packing philosophy is “less is more”.  We have a minimum amount of kitchen things, it all fits in the two overheads above the kitchen and in the drawers.  I have a Tupperware box that lives under the bath side dinette seat that has some hardware, repair parts and odds and ends, we also keep extra paper products there too.  My clothes fit above my bed and in the attic, Carols are above her bed in on the two closet shelves.  Some cleaning supplies are in the closet.  Food in the fridge and pantry.

We had a trip a couple of years ago that started Labor Day weekend and went through the end of October from Texas to New York and back for a college reunion at West Point.  High 90s when we left.  Below freezing before we made it out of New England.  We also had to carry attire for the reunion, not normal camping clothes.  Beside what was in the trailer, we had a hang up bag in the truck and a large plastic crate in the truck.  Early October we switched out the Texas summer clothes in the crate with the cold weather New England clothes.  We did this with a trip in January/February from Quartzsite up to Napa with stops at Yosemite and Pinnacles.  Nice weather in Quartzsite up to Napa, then cold (teens) on the way home through Pinnacles NP.

There are a number of threads here that talk about specific storage ideas, some very good ideas.  What you carry is different for everyone.  We each have our own styles!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Mike - 

Just how much room can a pair of fatigues take?  Certainly that is all you really needed for that reunion!😇

• Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

Mike - 

Just how much room can a pair of fatigues take?  Certainly that is all you really needed for that reunion!😇

Ha!  The fatigues are easy, combat boots and helmet are another story. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 3 months later...

In our current rig (Sprinter Van) Hubby and I each get two bins for clothes - the bins are about 16'x10"x10", one for our cycling/hiking clothes, one for everything else.  We each get a smaller bin (1 cubic foot) for cycling gear like shoes, helmet, gloves, glasses, computers, lights.... We also have a drawer permanently packed with puffy coats, gloves, hats, and raincoats so we never forget them and a drawer for our slippers, flip flops, and camp shoes.  Then we get whatever shoes we happen to be wearing when we leave the house.  This works out pretty well for us, and in truth I usually return home with more than half the clothes I brought unworn!  

I also have bins with the toiletries and food staples already packed.  I bring them in the house if we won't be camping for a while so they don't get too hot baking in the driveway.

So, on departure day, I pack the bins, the fridge, the dogs, the husband, and the espresso maker, and top off the water tank and we're good to go!

Edited by VBistro
  • Like 2

MaryBeth
Boulder, CO

2022 Elite II #953
TV: 2021 Ford Expedition Max Platinum, Max Tow Package

COKSMONESDTNUTWYmed.jpg

In reality - we take what ever we feel we need - then - when we get home - half  of  we never touched gets put back up!   Two days - two months - same result.  The added weight is inconsequential, after a couple years, we still take too much, yet for some reason, somewhere on a trip,  we will say, next trip we need one of ....... fill in blank. 

I never need more than one bin for my clothes - and a small spot in the closet. The EII seems lacking in storage - at first- then once you return home -- and have  to repack the kitchen sink -- you change your mind. 

Here is a fact - go to a spot where there are more than two Oliver's are parked -  then try to dream up an item that you would think - no way somebody would have this- out on a camping trip - and ask - --- by golly - at least one will have it - most likely, two of them ......

If it isn't there - it will be next trip....

So much fun   

• Like 3

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201