Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Moderators

Its getting to be that time of year when we are starting to think about winterizing the Ollie.  Certainly it is easy to winterize using the port at the rear of the Ollie but an often overlooked past of the process is putting a bit of antifreeze in the other three ports - City Water, Fresh Water and Black tank flush.

This is also easy if you use a hand pump - https://www.amazon.com/Horusdy-transferencia-combustible-multiuso-líquidos/dp/B075C3NNZF/ref=sr_1_7?crid=1TBR3DRPDJK7&dchild=1&keywords=liquid+transfer+pump+manual&qid=1598820277&sprefix=liquid+tran%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-7

 

But, these pumps come with both the intake and output hoses simply cut off at the ends.  Buying a plastic fitting with one end barbed and the other end compatible with the ports on the Ollie really simplifies the entire process.  Simply insert the barbed end of the fitting into the output hose on the pump, secure it with a clamp and you are ready to go.  Screw the fitting onto the Ollie port, place the other end into the antifreeze, give the handle a couple of pumps and you are done with that port.

Bill

 

 

P1020752.JPG

  • Like 2

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great suggestion Bill,

Another hand pump option from Harbor Freight - $5 with a 20% off coupon. And Super Tech RV safe anti freeze- $2.58 a gal at Wally World.

 

EACE3C9F-7B91-4F50-9F53-8E6B10262C96.jpeg

9D210E4B-9012-47F6-9206-27CE57D6EC8E.jpeg

  • Like 2

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

We’ve got 12 months of camping left before we winterize.  Will re-assess in 12 months, but will probably go for another 12 months!  I think I know quite a bit about my Oliver, but since we’ve never winterized I don’t have a clue how to do that.  Mike

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike and Carol said:

We’ve got 12 months of camping left before we winterize.  Will re-assess in 12 months, but will probably go for another 12 months!  I think I know quite a bit about my Oliver, but since we’ve never winterized I don’t have a clue how to do that.  Mike

Good one Mike,

What ya just gotta love about Texas! We miss our days living there...oh Rudy’s BBcue! 😋 😄

Edited by Patriot

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Another winterization tip:

In order to help prevent that "dreaded fridge odor" from developing during winter or other storage of the Oliver; simply empty, clean and dry the fridge and then place several sheets of crumpled newspaper inside both sections of the fridge.  Also then prop both doors (the freezer and the main door) slightly open.

When it is time to take your Oliver out of storage all you have to do is remove the newspaper, close the doors and turn it on.  There will be no odor at all.

Bill

 

P1020756.JPG

P1020757.JPG

Edited by topgun2
  • Like 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The fitting that I mentioned in the first post above is a bit hard to come by.  Even though these are a bit more expensive, another way to "skin that cat" is to get what is called a "RV Blow Out Valve/plug"

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-P23518LFVP-Blow-Out-Plug/dp/B00HSO2T5A/ref=sr_1_39?crid=29XWEBY27PKZB&dchild=1&keywords=rv%2Bblowout%2Badapter&qid=1600366608&sprefix=rv%2Bblow%2Bout%2B%2Caps%2C179&sr=8-39&th=1&psc=1

 

Don't forget to remove the valve stem from inside the plug/valve prior to using for the winterization purpose.  These valve stems simply screw out (lefty loosey to take it out) or (righty tighty to put it back in).

Bill

 

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone post a link to the proper fitting used to attach pump hose to the city water, fresh water and black flush tank.  I'm thinking it's probably a threaded male hose fitting; any drip irrigation supply vendor would have this (though I don't know the size of the hose that attaches the pump).  We might even have one in our drip system "toolbox" , as well as the necessary barbs.

Isn't there also a pressure relief valve somewhere in the utility area of the Oliver that must be winterized?  And are the tank dump valves vulnerable to freezing weather? 

I have way too much time to think, sitting at home waiting for our Oliver to go into production :classic_biggrin:

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; taking delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

Could someone post a link to the proper fitting used to attach pump hose to the city water, fresh water and black flush tank.  I'm thinking it's probably a threaded male hose fitting; any drip irrigation supply vendor would have this (though I don't know the size of the hose that attaches the pump).  We might even have one in our drip system "toolbox" , as well as the necessary barbs.

Isn't there also a pressure relief valve somewhere in the utility area of the Oliver that must be winterized?  And are the tank dump valves vulnerable to freezing weather? 

I have way too much time to think, sitting at home waiting for our Oliver to go into production :classic_biggrin:

During our wait time my wife and I hit the books....and so glad we did. The more you read the better it gets! 😉
 

Here- https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-university/

 

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
5 hours ago, Mainiac said:

Edit button disappeared. Hate spell correct: available not avatar...

It’s the three dots on the right side corner now. I preferred the button too.

Snowball • 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Patriot said:

During our wait time my wife and I hit the books....and so glad we did. The more you read the better it gets! 😉
 

Here- https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-university/

 

I didn't see anything about a pressure relief valve or winterizing the holding tank valves . . . . . so I guess they are fine?

When is Oliver going to get info in the University for 2021 changes?  And I'd like to see a video tour of the same.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; taking delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Susan Huff said:

I didn't see anything about a pressure relief valve or winterizing the holding tank valves . . . . . so I guess they are fine?

When is Oliver going to get info in the University for 2021 changes?  And I'd like to see a video tour of the same.

Great questions to consider emailing and asking your sales rep. 👍🏻 I am sure they would gladly assist you if given the opportunity.

2020 Ford F-250 6.7 liter Powerstroke Lariat Ultimate “Tremor” High Cap tow pkg  - 2020 OLEII - Hull #634 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Patriot said:

Great questions to consider emailing and asking your sales rep. 👍🏻 I am sure they would gladly assist you if given the opportunity.

Adding it to the list . . . 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; taking delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Patriot said:

During our wait time my wife and I hit the books....and so glad we did. The more you read the better it gets! 😉
 

Here- https://olivertraveltrailers.com/oliver-university/

 

Found this winterization transfer pump.  It has the threaded fitting.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; taking delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

Susan - 

For that price you can buy a bunch of the Harbor Freight pumps and a couple of the more expensive threaded fittings I mention above.

Bill

  • Like 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
On 9/17/2020 at 2:33 PM, Susan Huff said:

Could someone post a link to the proper fitting used to attach pump hose to the city water, fresh water and black flush tank. 

The hose fittings are all just standard fittings.  Any old hose will work.  Not sure what you mean by “pump hose”.  The procedure I use is I take my hose, screw it into the water source and then screw the other end into the connection on the trailer.  Mike

  • Like 1

Mike and Carol | Fair Oaks Ranch, TX | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram Rebel 4X4 5.7L Hemi

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

The hose fittings are all just standard fittings.  Any old hose will work.  Not sure what you mean by “pump hose”.  The procedure I use is I take my hose, screw it into the water source and then screw the other end into the connection on the trailer.  Mike

I was referring to using a transfer pump to put antifreeze into the city water, fresh water, and black flush ports as mentioned by the OP, @topgun2.  The "pump hose" I mention is the hose that attached the hand pump to the aforementioned ports, which would be the same as the threaded fitting on the end of a hose.  However, the transfer hand pump pictured in the OP does not come with that fitting.  This pump, however, does: 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/camco--hand-pump-winterizing-kit--329179?recordNum=21

 

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Susan - 

For that price you can buy a bunch of the Harbor Freight pumps and a couple of the more expensive threaded fittings I mention above.

Bill

I agree . . . . just wanted others to know they can buy the whole works in one, if so desired.

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; taking delivery December 7, 2020

2013 F350 3.2l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCACOGAHIIDILKSLAMSMONENVNMOKORSCTNTX

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...