Nest - that didn’t last very long!

Mike and Carol

Bye bye lil overpriced Nest!  Airstream also stopped making the Globetrotter 26ft, which actually had a very nice floorplan--but I think they had problems with the macerator toilet.  It's a shame the product quality control isn't good as many folks want the look of an Airstream.

• Like 1

The Nest looked cool and had potential, but it had a stupid floor plan, and adding in a lot of other bad decisions meant it was never going to succeed. Airstream just can’t get it right with their small trailer designs. Too much effort making marketable product and not enough effort making a good one. 

Edited by Overland
  • Like 3

• Moderators

I'm sad to see the Nest go. ButvI was sad when Airstream bought it out from Robert Johans.

As his original design, it was an innovative,  light and airy camper. Yes, it was more suitable for weekends or short trips, and didn't have a full bathroom, but it was 30 per cent or better less in weight, and, if course, price.

Airstream clunked the floorplans, bloated the interior with heavy builtins, and failed in execution,  except for creating lovely photos and a cool little website. Actually,  if it weren't for the weight, and making up the bed every day, the 16u floorplan wasn't as terrible as the permanent bed plan. But a ridiculous price for the Airstream label.

Was it ever a camper for me? No. Not really. But I'm still sad that an innovative product had its life shortened. 

https://ifitshipitshere.blogspot.com/2013/11/good-design-for-great-outdoors-nest.html?m=1

Sherry

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The original one was gorgeous and sort of functional with a dry weight of 2000 lbs ...  the AS version has a base weight of 3400 and a cargo capacity of 600🙄. Fill the fresh water tank and it gives around 400 pounds for your options and personal stuff. Why in the world did they not beef up the frame and add a heavier axle? Or just leave it more spartan inside? Because AS is all about style over function.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I think the NEST was a European style trailer, but for the U S it was a "no go" for American campers. I won't go into all the reasons I think it didn't sell well as the above posters covered it very well.

trainman

• Thanks 1

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

On 9/13/2020 at 6:52 AM, Overland said:

Too much effort making marketable product and not enough effort making a good one. 

Well said . . . . . Oliver has the right idea . . . . . . in the long run, quality sells!

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg