Given the numerous posts and prior experience with a Dometic noisemaker air conditioner, I have contemplated replacing the A/C unit on our brand new Oliver with an Atwood Air Command heat pump. I had done this previously on our MBS based motorhome and we were extremely pleased with the results.  That being said, I was aware of one Ollie owner who has an Air Command A/C factory installed in his Ollie and he indicated to me he wasn't thrilled with the noise level from it either.

So we agreed to take measurements using the same iPhone app and although not scientific, I am hopeful the results are different enough to warrant the change to the Air Command. My results are listed below and I expect John will weigh in at some point when he is able to take similar measurements on his Ollie.

Since I'm not sure I can attach an Excel file, the list will be in this order -

Location, Baseline measurement, Low Fan, High Fan with compressor running (all measurements "A" weighted DB)

Front dinette seat (phone on table) - 35, 68, 71

Rear dinette seat (phone on table) - 34, 71, 72

Left bed (phone on bed at aft end) - 31, 70, 74

Right bed (phone on bed at aft end) - 32, 70, 73

Standing under A/C (phone held at 5') - 32, 76, 78

Looking forward to the comparison with the Atwood.

• Thanks 3

FYI, Katanapilot and I agreed to use this IOS app to do the measurements.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/decibel-meter-sound-detector/id1254994873

There are others, some are more feature rich and expensive, but the basic version of this one works fine and is free. If there are any other iPhone owners who want to participate, please install that app and post your results. Don’t use a different one because that will mess up the results. I will try to get to “Mouse” to test the Air Command sound levels, but I am currently trapped in my bedroom with two HEPA filters running full bore, the Wildfire smoke AQI is slowly dropping from its high of nearly 550 Sunday. It is “only” 418 now. Maybe in a couple of days.....

I will also get measurements as the compressor kicks in. That snarl is significantly louder than its running sound level, and lots more irritating.

Stay safe everybody. Here is wishing everyone clear skies, cool temperatures and no fires.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Thanks 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

• Moderators

Thanks for doing the comparison - it will be interesting to see the results.  As perhaps some additional advice on getting accurate measurements, I know that the Sonos app asks you to remove any case on the iPhone and hold it upside down so that the microphone faces away from you. I’ve also read on the Sonos forum that you can get different results from different model iPhones, but I don’t know to what degree. So there’s an excuse for you both to go out and get the latest model. 😛

Snowball • 256 • 2018 Ford Raptor

• Moderators

Good luck with the smoke, John. 

Looking forward to your results when it's safe to do your test. Thanks to both of you!

Edited by SeaDawg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

• Moderators

Technomadia's latest youtube popped up on my phone yesterday,  discussing the flaws in their Travato. The ac (a Coleman Mach 10, old style) and its noise level and flimsy vents were some of their dislikes. Cheri mentioned both the new Coleman Mach 10 NDQ (NON DUCTED QUIET) and the Houghton unit from Advanced RV as possible replacements, noting the extremely high price of the Quiet AC from Advanced.

I remembered this youtube from James at Fit RV, measuring the db from his Dometic Penguin, then the Coleman NDQ. 

I thought it might be interesting to compare with your numbers.

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the-pursuit-of-quiet-replacing-our-rvs-air-conditioner-again/

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12