Hello - New to Oliver - Hoping to Buy

Moonlight Mile

Hi, I am looking for an Oliver and don’t have one yet, but joined anyway!

I was planning to get an Airstream Bambi 16RB and a dealer jerked me around. Promised-by this date and that date etc. I gave up. Now looking at Olivers which sound better for cold-snow temps which I love and wanted to be in FT, or mostly (maybe go a bit south AT TIMES) but whoo can I afford one? With the costs of camping etc. Ins, maint, all that.

Anyway, hi everyone and I will be checking for good condition used Olivers which I am sure are in very high demand. I was hoping to be IN a travel-trailer and learn to operate etc. and figure budget by now. Just me and my Black Lab. Thanks all!

Edited by SherMica
  • Like 1

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderators

Welcome. 

The Elite shorty like ours is most comparable to the Bambi you looked at .

Lighter weight, wider range of tow vehicles. 

Good luck in your search.

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

The odds of finding an Oliver, in good shape, is great. It is the odds of finding a used one at all is what is slim. And if you find a used one at all you better be prepared to respond and act immediately. The word is out about the quality of the Oliver, and the wait time for a new one. Do not expect a used one to be a super bargain. They seem to hold their value well, and maybe even appreciate.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

UPDATE!

Today I put down a deposit on a new Ollie. January delivery (or, pick up, rather). I am pretty excited. Pretty terrified. But this is living now, carpe diem and all, for me. I will forge ahead and trust that what I don't know I will be able to learn, that I will find and meet nice RV people everywhere I go (already have online!), and that I will be able to afford to live FT in it with my dog and find places to "boondock" in it because I cannot afford campground fees of more than, say, $30 a night if I was in a campground EVERY night. That would be it for me. So, boondocking is what I hope to do: safely, cheaply, beautifully. Getting the addons that "should" make that doable. 

I will be around in the forums asking dumb questions! Easy to spot me. HEHEH. Thanks!

2021 Elite 1 -- Hull #731

Ram 1500 Rebel 4x4

Now Sold

states.png

• Moderator+
32 minutes ago, SherMica said:

UPDATE!

Today I put down a deposit on a new Ollie. January delivery (or, pick up, rather). I am pretty excited. Pretty terrified. But this is living now, carpe diem and all, for me. I will forge ahead and trust that what I don't know I will be able to learn, that I will find and meet nice RV people everywhere I go (already have online!), and that I will be able to afford to live FT in it with my dog and find places to "boondock" in it because I cannot afford campground fees of more than, say, $30 a night if I was in a campground EVERY night. That would be it for me. So, boondocking is what I hope to do: safely, cheaply, beautifully. Getting the addons that "should" make that doable. 

I will be around in the forums asking dumb questions! Easy to spot me. HEHEH. Thanks!

Congrats from Hull # 050. Do not worry about having to learn new stuff. We've all been there and still learning new stuff every day. Feel free to ask away and we'll get you up to speed. Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

Congrats from Hull # 050. Do not worry about having to learn new stuff. We've all been there and still learning new stuff every day. Feel free to ask away and we'll get you up to speed. Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself!

I agree with Steve.  You can learn a lot from reading through this forum and asking questions.  Our Oliver is our first RV and we had a lot to learn before we picked ours up.  We were mentored by some experienced Oliver owners and are now pretty experienced campers.  If you like the western US you will find lots of free boondocking spots.  There are also lots of inexpensive COE/BLM/FS and other campgrounds.  If you have a senior pass they are half price.  There are apps that will show where these areas are, where dump stations are and where you can find free camping.  Welcome!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Welcome . . . . . you'll be right behind us.  We pick our Elite II up on December 7!

You've done the right thing by joining this forum . . . . . . what an awesome group of folks ❤️ Also, take advantage of the Oliver University on Oliver's webpage where you'll find manuals for all the Oliver components. 

Don't be afraid to ask questions. . . . . . there is always someone willing to answer . . . . . and one day, you'll be the one answering the questions.  And, if you make your way to the Pacific Northwest, we've been most everywhere in Oregon so can steer you to some great boondock, USFS, BLM, etc campgrounds (once the fires are out and the forests open back up).

Regards,

Susan Huff

Edited by Susan Huff
  • Like 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

will be around in the forums asking dumb questions! Easy to spot me. HEHEH. Thanks!

A couple of things: your 'avatar' would look good as a decal for the front of your Ollie. Everyone will know who is coming at them on the highway or parked under a tree. If your age qualifies you, get an "old geezers" pass from the National Park Service. Half off camping in a lot of federal camp sites. 

Welcome from Maine...