Introducing Tracer from KY

Tracer

My husband a I are retiring soon and would like to get into an Oliver. We’ve tent camped through the years and rented RV’s a few times out west, but would like to have our own travel home and are too old to sleep in the ground anymore. In researching campers, I see a lot of sub-par units being sold and are not interested in buying junk...which has led us to Oliver. I happened onto this forum while trying to find used Olivers for sale ( do they even exist?!). I’m thinking an Elite ll might be in our future. Anyone know if a Toyota Tacoma w tow package is sufficient for hauling a loaded Elite ll?

Hi and Welcome,

Used Oliver's are scarce. The owners have a tendency to hold on to them. Used Oliver's seem to hold their value, or even appreciate. So, it seems you might as well order a new one, and get it equipped as you like? 

As far as tow vehicles go, do a "search" here to see the responses. Realize that the search results are usually brand biased. Those with a GM will recommend them, and so on and so on. Don't depend on brochures or salespeople, look at the decals on the door. Depends on how a particular vehicle is equipped as to what it will pull, or maybe even better yet, what it will stop while maintaining control. Also remember to add  the weight of any toys you might carry like bikes, kayaks, as well as cast iron cookware...

• Like 4

"Anyone know if a Toyota Tacoma w tow package is sufficient for hauling a loaded Elite ll?"

Here's some real EII data from our Hull 505 to help you with your Tow Vehicle process:

Check this real world data below against your Tacoma Payload, Tow Rating, and Hitch Ratings:

**********************************************************************************

Empty Weight of EII as delivered at Factory, no water but 2 full 30Gal Propane Tanks
Trailer 5465 Lbs  -Tongue Wt - 635 Lbs     GVWR for Oliver - 7000LBS
We have almost Every Option:  4 AGM Batteries, Solar, Dual Awnings, Front Basket, Wifi and Wireless boosters, 2kW Inverter, Transfer Switch

Weight of EII on Cat Scale Standing Alone - setup for camping, full of food, gear and water.  
Trailer 6400 Lbs - Tongue Wt - 750 Lbs (as high as 835Lbs when loaded with some gear in trailer in front of axels on floor.)

The tow vehicle has several pieces of information and two that are very important:

1) Payload for Tow Vehicle - as listed on the drivers side door frame - This is the max amount you of weight to load into and carry in your vehicle.
This includes passengers, any added post factory gear (like canopy's, tool boxes) and camping gear and it also needs to include the 
Tongue Weight of your trailer.

Calc Example:   (for 1/2 Ton Truck subtract all the cargo, passengers, gear and tounge weight to see what's left.

image.png.6d3a825a8c5fd5e1ed059b082476ccc0.png

So you see in that example, the truck payload is almost over capacity before adding all that other gear...bikes, ice chest, bbq, camp chairs, tools etc.
Some gear can go into the trailer but you'll need to carefully "load" that trailer to not put it out of balance.

Ladened Goal for Tongue Wt is minimum of 10% to max of 15% of the total trailer weight on the tongue.  (for 6400 Lb Trailer, that's a range of 640-950Lbs)

2) Tow Capacity of the Tow Vehicle - often people want to have "margin" above the rated Tow Capacity for safety reasons.
Example - Trailer has 7000LB GVWR, then you want about 9500 lbs of Tow Capacity to have upward margin.

3) What your Tow Vehicle Hitch states as Max Load both for dead weight carrying and with weight distribution.
Here's a tag from an F150 factory installed hitch.  Notice that it says 500 lbs for weight carrying, so for an Elite II ...you would need a  Wt.Distribution Hitch like the Anderson Hitch offered as an option.

2085202100_ScreenShot2020-10-09at3_04_53PM.thumb.png.972aec0ee13ec31d6ee15a6f764984c8.png

Hope that's useful data for making a decision.

Hull 505 - Galway Girl

Craig Short

• Like 3

2019 Elite II (Hull 505 - Galway Girl - August 7, 2019 Delivery) 
Tow Vehicle: 2021 F350 King Ranch, FX4, MaxTow Package, 10 Speed, 3.55 Rear Axle
Batteries Upgrade: Dual 315GTX Lithionics Lithiums - 630AH Total
Inverter/Charger: Xantrex 2000Pro 

Travel BLOG:  https://4-ever-hitched.com

IMG_5421.jpeg.c1f697a00240a9bd6729b0930bd3a4aa.jpeg

• Moderators

There are multiple threads on the Tacoma tow vehicle.  Concensus seems to be, ok on flat, or hills, but not necessarily the higher mountains. 

Where are you coming from? And, where will you be going?

If the tow rating is within 80 per cent if specs, it wouldn't stop me from a used trailer pickup. But, it might stop me from a camping trip in/through the Rockies.

Sherry 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

In addition to the safety factors and wear and tear factors there are the mileage factors. 

Several years ago while I was towing a trailer that weighed less than half of what the Oliver Elite II weighs I was driving West across Kansas fighting a 40 mph headwind.  The issue became - I was getting 4 miles to the gallon.  This made me have to stop for gas at least every hour and a half.  Certainly no fun at all.

Bill

• Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Do a search for Tacoma’s.  We towed our Elite II with the previous generation Tacoma. We were traveling fairly light and had the TRD Supercharger.  We upgraded to a half ton because the gas tank was small and the drop in gas mileage meant we had to get gas way too frequently.  We also wanted to carry more stuff for extended time on the road and the Tacoma was limited on payload.

2BFD5D87-96FC-44F4-93C4-543E3664AF9A.jpeg

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

On 10/9/2020 at 3:59 PM, Mike and Carol said:

Do a search for Tacoma’s.  We towed our Elite II with the previous generation Tacoma. We were traveling fairly light and had the TRD Supercharger.  We upgraded to a half ton because the gas tank was small and the drop in gas mileage meant we had to get gas way too frequently.  We also wanted to carry more stuff for extended time on the road and the Tacoma was limited on payload.

2BFD5D87-96FC-44F4-93C4-543E3664AF9A.jpeg

Good point on the gas tank size

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg