Will a V6 4Runner be sufficient to tow a 2009 Oliver Elite I?

• Moderators

Is your 4runner similar in towing capacity and engine as a Tacoma v6?

@JRK just towed a new elite from Hohenwald to California with a Tacoma. 

Tongue weight on my 2008 is around 420 pounds, loaded for camping, with some fresh, some grey, and some black, but not full tanks, just partial. We weighed it on the way home from a weekend of dry camping where there was no dump station. You should check your payload for your particular VIN. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

• Moderators

RV magazine has just released their "Guide to Towing" in the latest issue (June, 2021).

Try looking HERE for a start.

Bill

• Like 1

2017 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Welcome to the forums.

It depends what year 4Runner, the engine and towing specs change over time.  If you think you might “hold out” for a LE2, then buy the bigger trailer and trade in the Runner on a more suitable tow vehicle, because it sounds like you might not really want the smaller one. If you had the 4.7 liter V8 in your trucklet, it would be a great tow vehicle for the smaller trailer, but NOT for an LE2. Both trailers are quite heavy for their size. 

John Davies

Spokane WA

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

• Moderators

To give you an idea of the weight of the 2009 that is currently for sale, my 2008 Elite weighs right around 3900 pounds, 420 on the tongue.

The 2009 for sale right now has the same heavy Dometic ac unit , same furnace,, and same type 3way fridge mine had when we weighed ours, loaded for camping. It doesn't have a microwave or solar, so you could shave maybe 120 pounds off my 3900, but you'd have to add back in for the mattress, which is a bit heavier than cushions.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12