Jump to content

Xantrex Noise


Recommended Posts

I was incorrect, sorry to lead with bad information about turning the remote off.  We will test out different ways to keep the Xantrex fan off during our next couple trips when we have shore power and a load. 
Pam

  • Thanks 1

TV 2018 F150 3.5 liter eco-boost with max tow package, hull #836 “LC”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
On 9/3/2021 at 9:15 AM, John M said:

I’ve noticed the fan cycles more in hot weather.  Seems normal.

What bothers me, when plugged in and charging, is the loud relay switch changing on and off every fifteen seconds.  Raises havoc with the fridge that changes from AC to propane every fifteen seconds.
IS THIS NORMAL BEHAVIOR? 

No, not likely.  Please open a service ticket.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/6/2021 at 8:01 PM, johnwen said:

Thanks Ray and Susan.  I'm interested in the comparison.  Good luck with with the swap-out 🙂

New inverter fan sounds the same as the old. . . . . I guess that means it's normal?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Mcb said:

Do you have the Bluetooth app for the inverter? If so, by turning the “Charger Ignition Control” switch on (#26), you can disconnect the charger from the batteries… it’ll take care of the inverter noise as it stops it from constantly trying to charge the batteries. There was a thread a while back in which NCEagle brought this strategy to light. I’ve been doing it ever since and it works great. 

I did have the bluetooth app installed, before we had the inverter replaced.  Haven't tried pairing the new one yet.  I assume this setting can also be changed via the remote panel.  What does Oliver say about this strategy?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There was a thread started in June called “How do I change shore power or generator demand priority?”.. I don’t know how to get it so you could access it directly from here, but that’s what it was called.  You’ll find more info about using this setting on the inverter written by folks who know more about it than me. I don’t know what OTT thinks about this strategy.. but Xantrex seems ok with it, and it works…. And it sure beats either feeling around under the street side bed for the cut off switch between the inverter and batteries or unplugging the cord from the camper.. 

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

 

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

New inverter fan sounds the same as the old. . . . . I guess that means it's normal?

Thanks for the update, Ray and Susan.  We elected to go with AGMs and the 2k inverter.  OTT had one trailer setup in their showroom as well as one with the big lithiums and the 3k inverter.  Every time I visited the showroom, 4 times now, I couldn't get comfortable with the fan noise coming from the 3k.  The AGM setup with the 2k inverter was quiet so we elected to go with AGM.  To be fair the lithiums were in bulk mode and the 2k was in float so the 2k may very well make as much noise in bulk mode.  I'm hoping for quiet as the 2k charges with less amps, 100 vs 150 I believe.  We finalize the order next week and pick up in January so I'll post back with my experiences. 

John

  • Thanks 1

Oliver II #996 "Bessie", 2019 Silverado LTZ 5.3, Veterans

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm determined to beat the fan noise . . . . . any comments regarding disconnecting shore power at night to eliminate the annoying fan cycling on and off are appreciated.

 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/4/2021 at 4:37 AM, Mcb said:

Do you have the Bluetooth app for the inverter? If so, by turning the “Charger Ignition Control” switch on (#26), you can disconnect the charger from the batteries… it’ll take care of the inverter noise as it stops it from constantly trying to charge the batteries.

This sounds good -- I would love to use 110V power (for refrigerator, auxiliary heater, AC etc) when plugged into shore power without charging the batteries (for 2 reasons: to avoid unnecessarily charging the batteries and to avoid the fan noise while charging).  I installed the Xantrex FCX bluetooth app (iPhone version), but the "charger ignition control" setting was already in the off position.  The only other choice is "auto-on."  The app states that when set to "auto-on" the charger operates only in tandem with the vehicle's ignition circuit.  In this case, I assume that "vehicle" means tow vehicle, but there is no stock way of connecting the vehicle's ignition circuit an Oliver trailer with the Lithionics batteries.  So this charger ignition control" setting seems to be a moot option.  What am I missing? ... The app does not list switch numbers (e.g., #26), so perhaps there's a different app, or another way of disconnecting the charging function?

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

If I'm reading this, and the other posts, about it correctly,  "off" actually means that circuit is nonfunctional.  "Auto on" would mean the charger would only kick in when it sensed charging capability from a vehicle. Which would never happen with a travel trailer. I could be way off base, but that's how I read it.

It's totally beyond me why there isn't a software switch, besides this. And a setting for adjusting charge level, as in tesla batteries. 

This is a #vanlife kind of thing, and a great workaround. Trying to remember which member found it. Please step up, take a bow, and add a link?

  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, SeaDog.  

OK, so I switched the charger ignition control setting to "auto-on,"  and then plugged in to shore power.   The remote panel shows that the battery is not connected; the annoying inverter fan ran for a few minutes and then turned off, and appears to have remained off (at least for the few minutes that I was checking).  The 110V outlets are active, as is the AC option on the fridge.  So, success ... but as clear and intuitive as mud.  It would sure be nice to have a switch on the control panel for simply disconnecting the charger. 

It might have been NCEagle that came up with this (doing a search for "charger ignition control"), but it is not clear to me how he identified this as the way to turn off the charger, and how he was making the changes without the app (or perhaps he was using the app, although I don't see references in the app to switch #26).  

I also wonder how this switch might work if there is a DC to DC charger hooked up between the tow vehicle and trailer.  I assume that having the charger ignition control be in the "auto-on" position means that the tow vehicle can charge the batteries when connected, but connecting to shore power would not charge them?  Hmmm.

  • Like 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites


As I mentioned the other day..  NCeagle figured this out… this was part of the thread  from this past June…. It would be worth reviewing for anyone annoyed by their inverter fan noise or who, like me, wants to have a simple way of not charging their lithium batteries every time they are plugged into shore power….There is more info in that thread.. 

it works in Hull #685… maybe it’ll work in yours too.. 

 

 

9CB16600-0839-43DC-8A51-C96B76AA808A.thumb.jpeg.d2db069f8293f2037027bc5da0894177.jpeg

  • Thanks 2

Mark & Deb..2020 Elite II..Dearie..Hull #685..2016 Tundra

 

AZARCAFLMSNMOKPATNTXsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

I too, think it was @NCeagle, now that you've brought up his name .

I don't think a dc to dc charger would make a difference,  unless you were specifically running your vehicle (connected to the trailer) to charge the batteries in your trailer. 

I don't have these components,  haven't read the manuals or studied schematics. But, that's my (not a user) opinion.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

I also think that all the lithium charger companies should allow for a setting for keeping batteries at a different level than 100 per cent, with a soft switch.

We have victron on the boat. I haven't looked to see if that's possible,,as we still have lead batteries there. And, the boat is Paul's baby. The trailer is mine. And, we don't have lithium, yet, in either. 

A limiting soft switch at 50 per cent, or so, for those of us with solar, and (future, maybe, for us) lithium would make so much sense. We go away for months at a time. I'd like to be able to leave critical systems,  like propane and smoke alarm and bilge pumps functioning, and let the batteries charge . Not a very difficult thing, imo. Tesla does it in their cars .

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Fritz said:

Thanks, SeaDog.  

OK, so I switched the charger ignition control setting to "auto-on,"  and then plugged in to shore power.   The remote panel shows that the battery is not connected; the annoying inverter fan ran for a few minutes and then turned off, and appears to have remained off (at least for the few minutes that I was checking).  The 110V outlets are active, as is the AC option on the fridge.  So, success ... but as clear and intuitive as mud.  It would sure be nice to have a switch on the control panel for simply disconnecting the charger. 

It might have been NCEagle that came up with this (doing a search for "charger ignition control"), but it is not clear to me how he identified this as the way to turn off the charger, and how he was making the changes without the app (or perhaps he was using the app, although I don't see references in the app to switch #26).  

I also wonder how this switch might work if there is a DC to DC charger hooked up between the tow vehicle and trailer.  I assume that having the charger ignition control be in the "auto-on" position means that the tow vehicle can charge the batteries when connected, but connecting to shore power would not charge them?  Hmmm.

Yes, I am the culprit who accidently discovered the alternative use for switch #26.  I discovered it when I read another thread about a new owner (can't remember who) was having trouble with his Xantrex charger not working shortly after delivery.  Working with OTT Service, the problem ended up being that switch #26 was set to "auto on" rather than "off" and it was preventing the charger from charging the batteries since it was looking for an ignition signal (and would never get one from the Ollie obviously).  I was honestly less than 24 hours from cutting a hole under the pantry to get easier access to that cutoff switch before the lightbulb went off that I could use that same software switch that caused the problem for the other owner.  🙂 

A DC to DC charger won't change anything if it's an "independent" charger that doesn't go through or depend on the Xantrex in any way.  There may be a slick way of hooking the TV ignition or DC to DC charger up so that it leverages the Xantrex - and then switch #26 could actually be used as intended.

Cheers!

John

  • Thanks 2
  • Like 3

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I'm grateful to you for having figured this out.  While not as elegant as a simple on-off charging switch on the remote panel, it solves one of my greatest annoyances with the trailer: how to run the fridge or other appliances on 110V without continually charging the batteries or listening to that inverter fan cycle on every 15 minutes.  Now if I can just do something to quiet the inverter when we do want it to charge the batteries....

  • Thanks 1

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2021 at 7:46 AM, LCTraveler said:

Susan

We have an LE2 hull 836 with the Lithium Pro Package (lithionic batteries).  On our panel, the Xantrex can be turned off quite easily by the button on the remote panel.  Please note, there is a switch underneath the street side bed that needs to be turned to the off position for the remote to be able to turn the system off.  We usually dry camp but have turned the Xantrex off while on shore power during the night.  The fan noise bugs me too but not my husband.  
pam

But turning off the inverter doesn't turn off the charging, which is what makes the fan run periodically.

 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/8/2021 at 3:18 AM, NCeagle said:

Yes, I am the culprit who accidently discovered the alternative use for switch #26.  I discovered it when I read another thread about a new owner (can't remember who) was having trouble with his Xantrex charger not working shortly after delivery.  Working with OTT Service, the problem ended up being that switch #26 was set to "auto on" rather than "off" and it was preventing the charger from charging the batteries since it was looking for an ignition signal (and would never get one from the Ollie obviously).  I was honestly less than 24 hours from cutting a hole under the pantry to get easier access to that cutoff switch before the lightbulb went off that I could use that same software switch that caused the problem for the other owner.  🙂 

A DC to DC charger won't change anything if it's an "independent" charger that doesn't go through or depend on the Xantrex in any way.  There may be a slick way of hooking the TV ignition or DC to DC charger up so that it leverages the Xantrex - and then switch #26 could actually be used as intended.

Cheers!

John

Thanks for the info.  Can we change the #26 setting in the programming menu through the Xantrex remote panel?  What is the setting needed to prevent charging and thus causing the fan to cycle on and off.

 

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/7/2021 at 6:08 PM, SeaDawg said:

I also think that all the lithium charger companies should allow for a setting for keeping batteries at a different level than 100 per cent, with a soft switch.

Right? This seems pretty darn obvious - the point it's puzzling that the chargers being used for Lithium installs don't already just have this as a setting.

 

  • Like 1

Jim and  Yanna, Woodinville WA

2004 Ford E250 camper conversion

Oliver Elite II hull #709

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 9/3/2021 at 9:15 AM, John C Marsh Jr said:

I’ve noticed the fan cycles more in hot weather.  Seems normal.

What bothers me, when plugged in and charging, is the loud relay switch changing on and off every fifteen seconds.  Raises havoc with the fridge that changes from AC to propane every fifteen seconds.
IS THIS NORMAL BEHAVIOR? 

UPDATE!

what I learned, while plugging into the campground, the AC source was extremely unstable.  We were at the end of the line and when others pulled current, our ACdropped up and down from 120 significantly and the Xantrex cycled on and off between shore power and propane (for the fridge) to compensate for the unstable power.  
 

problem solved.  Thanks all for the input.  

  • Like 1

38880F18-107D-4563-B55F-168A9F513E1E.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...