Jump to content

Six Days on the Road--WhooHoooo!


Recommended Posts

Hello Group!

This is a special greeting. While talking about placing a deposit yesterday with Oliver Saleswoman Anita (and filling her in on the previous day's 2008/09 used Hull in Houston) she let me know that there was a surprising opening for a 2021 LE to be started in August for an October delivery. She told me that people on the move-up list ahead of me had been contacted Oliver the day before but no one had gotten back with a response--and it was now 2:30 pm there. She asked me if I wanted that date. I told her I would need to call a few people to see if these new arrangements would work and I'd call her back shortly. When I did, she said the other party was needing to switch places with me, which I agreed to in a heartbeat! My world changed in a minute. I went from scouring the universe for a used hull to making quick plans for a late September trip to Tennessee--six days on the road (maybe). Wooo-hooo! Needless to say, my deposit was sent followed by paperwork from Oliver and we're on!

Louis Pasteur wrote that chance favors the prepared mind--and I've always thought this to be true. All of my research over the last few months has seemed to pay off. I've was in the right place (time, and product)...

"At last...my love has come along..."

Pennie

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations! Something similar happened to us. We ordered the last week of August and our original delivery date was mid-May 2021. When we paid our deposit our sales rep sent a message saying that they had an early February delivery date come open if we would like to move up so we jumped on it. It was less torture waiting only 5 1/2 months for delivery instead of almost 9 months.

Those months went by quickly with all the reading, watching videos and asking questions here. We weren't new to RVs but did downsize from a 42' 5th wheel with 5 slides to an Oliver LE2. It's funny but inside the trailer we have empty drawers and cabinets! The things that were in outside storage compartments on the 5th wheel are now under a Leer Topper on our truck with a bedslide. It all still works and we are really enjoying the ease of pulling and parking the smaller trailer.

Again congrats!

Cindy

 

  • Like 2

Charlie & Cindy / Cleburne, TX / 2021 Elite II Hull #743 / 2013 Ford F250 Diesel 4WD Supercab

ALLATNTXmed.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Time2Go! said:

Congratulations! Something similar happened to us. We ordered the last week of August and our original delivery date was mid-May 2021. When we paid our deposit our sales rep sent a message saying that they had an early February delivery date come open if we would like to move up so we jumped on it. It was less torture waiting on 5 1/2 months for delivery instead of almost 9 months.

Those months went by quickly with all the reading, watching videos and asking questions here. We weren't new to RVs but did downsize from a 42' 5th wheel with 5 slides to an Oliver LE2. It's funny but inside the trailer we have empty drawers and cabinets! The things that were in outside storage compartments on the 5th wheel are now under a Leer Topper on our truck with a bedslide. It all still works and we are really enjoying the ease of pulling and parking the smaller trailer.

Again congrats!

Cindy

 

Hi Cindy! Thanks for the well-wishes. I think a song goes, "You've got to be ready..." You were and I'm glad I was as well. Huge difference between October and next June. I have lots to do, much, much more to learn, many questions to ask, etc. Although this is my first experience owning my own trailer, I will be learning and working on a keeper that happens to be the best made. 

Onward!

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cool, have you decided on all the options yet? That will be a wonderful time for a road trip, mountain passes excepted. What route do you plan to take returning home? Do you already have a truck?

John Davies

Spokane WA

 

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Pennie,

Congratulations!  You may have your new Ollie in time for fall colors! 👍

Thank you Bill!!!

I can't wait to see fall in Tennessee!

🍂

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

That was fast!

October is usually a really nice time to camp in Tennessee and Western North Carolina.  By the middle of the month, the fall colors are usually at their peak in the High Country. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, John E Davies said:

Cool, have you decided on all the options yet? That will be a wonderful time for a road trip, mountain passes excepted. What route do you plan to take returning home?

John Davies

Spokane WA

 

Thanks John. For my route, a lot depends on the registration process, plate, etc. I will need to figure that stuff out but will post it when I know more. This is all very sudden. 

Options: I am asking for your learned advice (as well as the thoughts of others in the community). I think I am going for the Lithium Pro package which has 2x 230w solar panels with charge controller; 2x 6v AGM batteries (260 AH total); 2,000w inverter and Micro-Air Easy Start. Also, the Shower Track package and Cradle point. I'm considering the back-up camera (I don't possess your wiring skills--lol, but can learn them later). Any thoughts on these or others I may want to substitute? 

Thank you in advance!

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

That was fast!

October is usually a really nice time to camp in Tennessee and Western North Carolina.  By the middle of the month, the fall colors are usually at their peak in the High Country. 

SeaDawg, I just can't wait! The opening was sudden, surprising and wonderful. I jumped. I'm looking forward to seeing fall in that part of the world as I'll be taking the advice of some here and camping for a while, testing systems. 

Thanks once again for all of your great help!

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pennie, do plan to boondock much? The AGMs are perfectly fine, they just don’t have a lot of reserve for days spent unhooked in gloomy weather. Lithiums are better but they have their own issues, such as heat intolerance. You could try the AGMs for a couple of years, and when they inevitably fail 🙄you can decide if you want to go with a drop-in lithium solution. I can’t comment on the shower track, but the Cradle Point sounds like very expensive snake oil… I do recommend the Natures Head. All the other electronics and doodads are a personal choice. As a full timer your choices may not mesh with those owners who spend a few weeks each year inside that small space.

Get a good large TV, one with plenty of secure room for your stuff.

John Davies

Spokane WA

 

  • Like 1

"Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II NARV (Not An RV) Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 33" LT tires, airbags.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Pennie, do plan to boondock much? The AGMs are perfectly fine, they just don’t have a lot of reserve for days spent unhooked in gloomy weather. Lithiums are better but they have their own issues, such as heat intolerance. You could try the AGMs for a couple of years, and when they inevitably fail 🙄you can decide if you want to go with a drop-in lithium solution. I can’t comment on the shower track, but the Cradle Point sounds like very expensive snake oil… I do recommend the Natures Head. All the other electronics and doodads are a personal choice. As a full timer your choices may not mesh with those owners who spend a few weeks each year inside that small space.

Get a good large TV, one with plenty of secure room for your stuff.

John Davies

Spokane WA

 

Thank you John. I'll take your advice and cancel the Cradle Point and investigate alternatives. Rather than full-timing, I'll be spending a fair amount of time with friends and relatives all over the country, but when I'm not, I'll be boondocking. The smaller space is fine for me. I've been planning on it for quite some time--the LE 1 is far superior to a pod or teardrop.--lol!

Honestly, I cannot afford to do this and get a larger TV than my 2018 Chevy Colorado Redline with the 3.6 V6 with auto 10 gears and tow package. People here have already let me know I can comfortably tow the LE 1 with my TV. I posted pertinent stats in a different thread previously and no one disagreed with my TV. I believe what I have will work for now.I would prefer a duramax but I'm retired, so need to watch funds carefully. 

I read about all of the problems associated with the composting toilet--and funds are limited. I know I'll probably need a generator and so much other stuff that Oliver doesn't supply.I will be dipping into retirement funds to pull this off...But, time is on my side, yes it is--lol. 

Thanks again for your reply and any other thoughts you have (or will). 

Pennie

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello again group! Thank you for all of your well-wishes and thoughts. Some questions for everyone:

  1. What manufacturer/model do you recommend for locks: hitch, trailer, etc.?
  2. What is the best set-up for the highest quality internet connectivity?
  3. What manufacturer/model do you recommend for a surge protector?
  4. Do I ask for a replacement AC? If so, what model?
  5. Air compressor?
  6. I think I already found a generator--the CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology. Thoughts?
  7. Which TPMS system?

Replace the shower head?

We've only just begun...

Anything else you think should be on the list of necessities...

Thank you all in advance

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

That generator is way to big and heavy. We recently bought a Westinghouse 2500 at Lowes. It runs our saws, charges batteries, and runs our ac. At around 600 normal price, it's a nice smaller unit, with plenty of features, inverter technology, and it only weighs 48 pounds, so I can lift it. Pull cord start, but pretty easy, and I  have no difficulty starting it. (If you have the strength to lift it, you have the strength to start it.)

Our other generator is a Honda 1000. Very light, quiet, will charge the batteries. Won't run the microwave or a hairdryer or any tools.

Champion makes a nice generator around 2000 watts that would charge batteries and run the microwave, but probably not the ac. 

Keep looking. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
8 minutes ago, poliver said:

Which TPMS system?

We've used tst out of Georgia for a decade. Reliable, great customer service. Get 3, so you have a spare.

Others will chime in. There are several good brands out there.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

That generator is way to big and heavy. We recently bought a Westinghouse 2500 at Lowes. It runs our saws, charges batteries, and runs our ac. At around 600 normal price, it's a nice smaller unit, with plenty of features, inverter technology, and it only weighs 48 pounds, so I can lift it. Pull cord start, but pretty easy, and I  have no difficulty starting it. (If you have the strength to lift it, you have the strength to start it.)

Our other generator is a Honda 1000. Very light, quiet, will charge the batteries. Won't run the microwave or a hairdryer or any tools.

Champion makes a nice generator around 2000 watts that would charge batteries and run the microwave, but probably not the ac. 

Keep looking. 

Thank you SeaDawg! Gotta keep searching', searching'....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

I agree with John. The agms are fine to start. We still have agm, and I  wouldn't even look at lithium if we didn't have a compressor fridge. I may stay with agm, anyway, even with the increased draw of the fridge, because we rarely have to run the generator, with 400 watts of solar.

 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

We've used tst out of Georgia for a decade. Reliable, great customer service. Get 3, so you have a spare.

Others will chime in. There are several good brands out there.

As ever, thank you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I agree with John. The agms are fine to start. We still have agm, and I  wouldn't even look at lithium if we didn't have a compressor fridge. I may stay with agm, anyway, even with the increased draw of the fridge, because we rarely have to run the generator, with 400 watts of solar.

 

Once again, thanks SeaDawg. I'll possibly invest in an additional solar panel to augment the 230w. See how the money flows--lol!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

230 should be plenty, with a threeway fridge running on gas. You can add a portable very inexpensively if it's not.

My sister had this generator from Costco. Pretty light, very quiet. Should run your ac if you have the soft start. 

A-iPower Powered by Yamaha Inverter Generator  | Costco

https://www.costco.com/.product.100653776.html

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

230 should be plenty, with a threeway fridge running on gas. You can add a portable very inexpensively if it's not.

My sister had this generator from Costco. Pretty light, very quiet. Should run your ac if you have the soft start. 

A-iPower Powered by Yamaha Inverter Generator  | Costco

https://www.costco.com/.product.100653776.html

Once again, thank you SeaDawg!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

That generator is way to big and heavy. We recently bought a Westinghouse 2500 at Lowes. It runs our saws, charges batteries, and runs our ac. At around 600 normal price, it's a nice smaller unit, with plenty of features, inverter technology, and it only weighs 48 pounds, so I can lift it. Pull cord start, but pretty easy, and I  have no difficulty starting it. (If you have the strength to lift it, you have the strength to start it.)

Our other generator is a Honda 1000. Very light, quiet, will charge the batteries. Won't run the microwave or a hairdryer or any tools.

Champion makes a nice generator around 2000 watts that would charge batteries and run the microwave, but probably not the ac. 

Keep looking. 

Yes. Thanks to the SeaDawg heads up  - I too have a handy dandy Westinghouse 2500. It is a very good generator for the money.  But honestly - I will probably never use it for its intended use - maybe very sporadically.

As for AGM's - I have had very good experience with ours in the Ollie and in previous RV's.  A top flight LI install has  been reported to run in excess of $8k - that buys a lot of AGM's. - As has been stated - it just depends on your use and needs.  I am one of the few that pragmatically believe the LI systems are overkill for all but the most strident off roader/boondocker. 

Our composting toilet has been very easy to use, no problems, and honestly much simpler to use than the old fill and dump,  - but then - some are not comfortable with the process. 

We use the Tire Tracker TT-500 TPMS - works as advertised, fairly accurate in the air pressure monitoring and take the temp readings with a grain of salt. Does what it supposed to do.

The Champion 4000 watt is a fine gen set - but more than you will want to tote around - at 80 + pounds- I would look in the 50 pound range - 2500 watts.

Internet is highly location dependent.  With a decent signal -  a phone based hotspot has been more than enough for us, as has been the Oliver supplied powered antenna for the TV/Radio systems.

Were it ME - planning a new purchase - I would not spend to much time worrying about this, that, or the other changes - get some time in your Oliver - you will find comfort spot. 

Interesting thought - your idea - order the Oliver without the AC - and then call KatanaPilot - for the install of the better unit!!! Oh wait Olive is not in this mindset.......

Wishing you well in your outfitting.

RB

  • Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

Yes. Thanks to the SeaDawg heads up  - I too have a handy dandy Westinghouse 2500. It is a very good generator for the money.  But honestly - I will probably never use it for its intended use - maybe very sporadically.

As for AGM's - I have had very good experience with ours in the Ollie and in previous RV's.  A top flight LI install has  been reported to run in excess of $8k - that buys a lot of AGM's. - As has been stated - it just depends on your use and needs.  I am one of the few that pragmatically believe the LI systems are overkill for all but the most strident off roader/boondocker. 

Our composting toilet has been very easy to use, no problems, and honestly much simpler to use than the old fill and dump,  - but then - some are not comfortable with the process. 

We use the Tire Tracker TT-500 TPMS - works as advertised, fairly accurate in the air pressure monitoring and take the temp readings with a grain of salt. Does what it supposed to do.

The Champion 4000 watt is a fine gen set - but more than you will want to tote around - at 80 + pounds- I would look in the 50 pound range - 2500 watts.

Internet is highly location dependent.  With a decent signal -  a phone based hotspot has been more than enough for us, as has been the Oliver supplied powered antenna for the TV/Radio systems.

Were it ME - planning a new purchase - I would not spend to much time worrying about this, that, or the other changes - get some time in your Oliver - you will find comfort spot. 

Interesting thought - your idea - order the Oliver without the AC - and then call KatanaPilot - for the install of the better unit!!! Oh wait Olive is not in this mindset.......

Wishing you well in your outfitting.

RB

Thank you for all of your feedback and thoughts RB! Very, very helpful!

Pennie

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

I think it's really easy to get carried away on initial purchase, so I'm glad you're approaching this thoughtfully.

I too, think solar and agm batteries are a great start for people new to camping. No maintenance to the batteries. Solar keeps them charged up unless you hit a string of bad weather, or use an inverter a lot. If you cook and make coffee on the cooktop when you don't have hookups, you really won't use that much dc power .

Smaller genset for backup.

As far as signal, we carry two different services, Verizon and Tmobile. If there's service available,  we have signal. Maybe look at a jetpack from a different provider than your phone, to cover the bases. (Neither service works in some of the remote spots we've camped, like the Yukon, but I  don't need to be connected every minute! You can buy a Spot or similar for emergency signal based on satellite for very little, and a reasonable annual contract.)

  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
2 hours ago, poliver said:

 

  1. What manufacturer/model do you recommend for locks: hitch, trailer, etc.?
  2. What is the best set-up for the highest quality internet connectivity?
  3. What manufacturer/model do you recommend for a surge protector?
  4. Do I ask for a replacement AC? If so, what model?
  5. Air compressor?
  6. I think I already found a generator--the CHAMPION POWER EQUIPMENT 4000-Watt RV Ready DH Series Open Frame Inverter with Quiet Technology. Thoughts?
  7. Which TPMS system?

1.  We use “The Collar” with an Abus puck lock.  Both from Amazon.

2. We’ve been using our iPhones for hot spots so we can use our iPad or MacBook.  We have AT&T and haven’t any problems.  We do have the cell booster which is now 5 years old.  Probably need to start thinking about a new one….

3. Don’t new Olivers come with a built in surge protector?  Ours didn’t and we use a Camco 30a surge protector.  My son just bought a 30a Progressive Industries surge protector for his new trailer.

4. It would be nice if Oliver offered a quiet AC.  We use ours on when absolutely necessary.

5. Viair makes some nice small air compressors.  Check Amazon.

6.  4K Watts is overkill and much too heavy.  If you have a Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Bass Pro check out a small Champion.  We have a 2,000 watt that is very quiet and weighs 37 lbs.  The Westinghouse from Costco is also a good choice.

7.  We also use the TST TPMS.  It’s been very reliable over the years.

Hope this helps!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

I think it's really easy to get carried away on initial purchase, so I'm glad you're approaching this thoughtfully.

I too, think solar and agm batteries are a great start for people new to camping. No maintenance to the batteries. Solar keeps them charged up unless you hit a string of bad weather, or use an inverter a lot. If you cook and make coffee on the cooktop when you don't have hookups, you really won't use that much dc power .

Smaller genset for backup.

As far as signal, we carry two different services, Verizon and Tmobile. If there's service available,  we have signal. Maybe look at a jetpack from a different provider than your phone, to cover the bases. (Neither service works in some of the remote spots we've camped, like the Yukon, but I  don't need to be connected every minute! You can buy a Spot or similar for emergency signal based on satellite for very little, and a reasonable annual contract.)

Thank you as ever SeaDawg! I am trying to approach this thoughtfully. After all, it's just the rest of my life--lol!

I also have Verizon and I like your suggestion about adding T-Mobile as they are good at coverage. Small genset coming up! That seems to be the consensus here--one I value great deal. I got the model idea I posted from the a regular column on the net and am glad I asked on the forum. This is such a great community!

Thank you again,

Pennie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...