Campground we can leave SNYSDUP at & then go into NYC...

SNY SD UP

Do you have any recommendations?  

Looking at a camping location then going elsewhere to pick up some mass transit into New York City..."  last half of July.

We did the West & North of NY state last year, working our way up the East Coast this year, so NYC (never been there before) is on the list.

We have been looking at Camp Gateway in Brooklyn or Liberty Harbor RV Park in New Jersey. 

I see Gateway has an airport surrounding it.  i guess we will run the A/C to drowned out the noise...

B Out,

Edited by SNY SD UP
  • Haha 1

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Liberty Harbor is really just a tight fitting parking lot with water and electric, no sewer. There is a dump station. When we were there it was pretty rough. We walked to a subway station and then rode over to Manhattan. I’m glad we visited NYC in late September, 2019 because I don’t think we’ll ever go back. Smelled like urine. People sleeping on the streets and eating out of overflowing trash cans. My one and only trip to NYC. On a positive note we saw a play on Broadway about a green witch, saw Billy Joel at MSG, had a very interesting tour guide, and ate some good food. We did enjoy our trip to North and West New York State though.

F85F2B5E-07AE-4D78-A40B-9E3590C6F274.thumb.jpeg.b9a2a16de74a107d434e5412aa6e8d22.jpeg

You can see the Statue of Liberty from Liberty Harbor RV Park.

FF1AE2AE-F70F-4302-A226-5CD7FE276789.thumb.jpeg.b3e2cd540c928b43e8753b1777023b77.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

We've stayed at the Newburgh KOA several times and taken the train in from there. Not exactly close. About 15 minutes from the campground to the train station and 45 minutes on the train, if I remember correctly, but it's a nice FHU campground. There's a great little ice cream stand just down the road called Cherry Top.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

If you are looking to 1 or 2 full days in NYC... then Liberty Harbor would be a good location (not a great campground).  You can walk to the Path (subway- at the end of Essex St.) and be in lower Manhattan in a short amount of time.  You'll come in off the NJ turnpike to 78 .... OR.. Rt 9 to 78.  Either way be prepared for  traffic and rough roads.  Batten down the hatches inside your Oliver and avoid rush hour.   Think of it as a tactical mission...  get in ... sight see... get out.    Steph and Dud's plan of camping upstate upstate at  Newburgh but near a train that you can take to NYC is good too.  There may be other state parks or independent sites near public trans as well.   Take snacks and sight see from the train.  Plus when your day is over you'll enjoy relaxing at a real campsite. 

If you usually travel armed you might consider leaving that particular piece of equipment home.  NJ and NY have some of the craziest gun laws in the country.   And armed or not, never give the police permission to search either your Oliver or TV.   Once you stop for the night the fed firearm transportation act no longer applies to you.  

Good Luck and hope to see you at the rally. 

Scotty

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

• Moderators

NYC can be a wonderful place with all kinds of things to see and do.  However, be absolutely sure that you and all in your party amplify any "spidy senses" that you have.  Really trust those hairs on the back of your neck - if they even have you thinking about them it probably means that you are in the wrong place.  Get out of that place as soon as you can.  If you do not know the city and/or any people that are familiar with it then your best and safest bet would be to arrange tours.

Bring $$$$$$.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ny-gun-laws/?amp

If I were to go to NY (about as likely as my growing a tail) I would be very sure not to have any handgun, anywhere. The mere possession of an unlicensed one in NYC, even if it is disassembled and locked inside your Ollie, can get you charged and imprisoned. Federal transport laws have nothing to do with it.

Consider a fighting cane. As a medical device it can go anywhere, I have even taken mine on a plane. I use it routinely as a walking stick, and in winter I install an ice tip  with a retractable stainless steel spike.

https://canemasters.com/tactical-canes-and-sticks

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

49 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

If I were to go to NY (about as likely as my growing a tail)

LOL! Actually, I really like Manhattan. Took my high school kids there on field trips for years in the early-mid 2000's. Stayed in the Millennium Hilton downtown. Rode the subway. Walked all over the city with no problems, even at night. Ate cheap pizza, went to Katz's Deli. Empire State and Top of the Rock (I like Rockefeller better). Union Square, Chinatown, Little Italy. Staten Island Ferry, went to a street carnival, went to the Tribeca Film Festival. Great trips. Just typing this makes me want to go back. Unfortunately, it seems like the city is getting a little rougher now, with more crime and homelessness. Would definitely be more cautious on a trip to Manhattan today.

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

LOL! Actually, I really like Manhattan. Took my high school kids there on field trips for years in the early-mid 2000's. 

1994 to 2001 were the Giuliani years.   I've lived in the shadow of NYC most of my life.  Those years were the apex.   

Stay in populated areas in daylight and you'll be fine.  I certainly would not be walking at night down a lonely street anywhere in the city these days. 

• Like 2

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

I'm loving this! NYC is certainly one of my wife and my favorite places to visit. I've been driving all over the area since I was 19 and started driving 18-wheelers. It takes a bit of getting used to the culture but as far as places to go, things to see and do etc, NYC is by far the place to be. We've never done it in a camper, only in hotels, and one of our first plans is to take the new Olie to the city and see if from that perspective. One of my favorite finds is https://thepit-nyc.com/, the peoples improv theater (The PIT) on 29th st between 7th and 8th ave (28th st. subway stop is about a block away). This is a place where improv students show their talents. Shows are in the $5-$20 range and run 30-40 min. There's a bar when you walk in and 3-4 theaters so you see a show, go get a cocktail then go see another. It's a cheap night out and you will rarely be disappointed. Terri and I will leave a few days open to just walk around and explore, if you keep your eyes open you're going to see some very interesting things and find some places you'll want to return to (that how we found The PIT). Keep an open mind and have a great time. Here's a 4min youtube about visiting NYC that I love. 

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

Not sure yet, I know there's a place in brooklyn that has been described as a mosquito heaven (I think that's the place with views of the stature liberty). As far as I know there are no good places close in just as the other folks have mentioned but the advantage of being able to walk out of the camping area and get on the subway in my mind out weighs having to spend 45 minutes or an hour on the train everyday coming in and again going out, but that's just my personal preferences. If you opt to go for the place in Newburg (which sounds like a nice place), I would highly recommend staying away from the train during rush hour because then you'll have most of the train to yourself 

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

OK, After looking through the NYC options, I'm voting for my first choice to be Liberty Harbor RV park for the following reasons:

1. You'll be able to go to the statue of liberty and Ellis Island which if you haven't been to either or both is a nice way to start your New York City experience. I recommend springing for the Ellis Island Hard Hat tour, it's kind of behind the scenes and a little more intimate. You have to get your tickets in advance and make sure you're booking the ferry that goes from the Jersey side, same thing applies for the Statue of Liberty, book early and make sure you book for the ride from the Jersey side. Depending on the time of year, you may have to book months in advance so get on that early if it is something you really want to do

2. There is a ferry that runs steps away from the RV park from morning commute (~6:30 am) until about 7:30 PM to-and-from Manhattan for about $8 each way. After that time you can take the PATH train ($2.75) which runs until 10:45 PM. The station is 0.8 miles from the RV park so after dark I would Uber (~$11) from the station to the park instead of walking. If all else fails, you can always just Uber back from NYC to the RV park Which is on the order of $60 each way and takes about 30 min (I checked the price for Uber on Friday Night at 10pm). 

3. Even though I would still like to try the Brooklyn RV park (and still might), The Liberty RV park looks less sketchy than the one in Brooklyn and seems like it may be a bit more secure. I haven't stayed at any of these places so if anyone has been to any of them then their input would be most helpful. I'm comfortable riding the train and subway but I know some folks are wierded out by those transportation modes, I figure it's part of the NYC experience and kind of look forward to getting around that way, plus if you purchase a Metro Card it is pretty cheap, on the order of $3 /ride and can be used on all the trains and busses

4. NYC is a wonderful place to walk around and explore so if you're up to it,  make sure you're wearing good walking shoes. Surprisingly, the terrain is a bit hilly so it can be a bit of a work out. In the warmer weather there are kayak tours of the city. The view from the water is the way the city was originally seen so I'm told it is a wonderful perspective. We have yet to do that tour but it is on our bucket list.

I hope this is helpful..

Albert

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

• Moderators
10 hours ago, albert said:

The view from the water is the way the city was originally seen so I'm told it is a wonderful perspective. We have yet to do that tour but it is on our bucket list.

THAT brings back memories of waterskiing from Raritan Bay to Upper Bay!  We'd actually look for the tug boats so that we could jump their wakes!

Unfortunately, all this was before anyone thought about cleaning up ALL of the waste water that was being dumped into the waters surrounding the entire area.  No wonder I now look like I do!🤪

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"