Shore power while in storage

I recently detailed our LE II  and want to keep it free from bird evidence and tree sap wile not in use, so I have the Calmark cover installed.  She’s a 2019 model with the solar package and AGM batteries.  I have a 30 amp service next to the pad where she’s parked.  As the solar panels are covered, is there risk of overcharging if I leave the shore power plugged in while stored?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PapaBiker said:

I recently detailed our LE II  and want to keep it free from bird evidence and tree sap wile not in use, so I have the Calmark cover installed.  She’s a 2019 model with the solar package and AGM batteries.  I have a 30 amp service next to the pad where she’s parked.  As the solar panels are covered, is there risk of overcharging if I leave the shore power plugged in while stored?

PapaBiker,

We used our Calmark cover last winter and kept our Ollie plugged into 30 amp shore power here at our home from Oct to April and our solar panels were covered. We did not experience any issues with our AGM batteries.
When not in use our Ollie always stays plugged into shore power. 

- Patriot

• Like 7

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators

We had AGMs for almost 6 years.  Always had it plugged in to shore power when stored (covered spot).  No issues.  I now have lithiums and don’t plug into shore power but have a battery cut off switch that I turn off when in storage.  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

48 minutes ago, PapaBiker said:

Thanks.  I’m considering a lithium upgrade when the AGMs fail.  When you camp with full services now, do you have to disconnect the lithium batteries?

UHMMMM, NO!  If you did that, none of your 12 volt devices like lights and water pump would function. You only have to worry about long term storage, when everything else is shut down. While being used for normal camping, the lithiums are fine with full charge coming from solar and the converter. It is just that they are "happier" when stored at a partially discharged state. Maybe, it depends on the battery manufacturer.

\What really stresses them is being constantly "topped up", charged those last percent from say 98 to 100%. Such as what happens when you are parked in winter while having them hooked up to shore power or the solar panels. Try to avoid that situation if you can. The solar controller voltage setting can be turned down a little, so it doesn't try charging them that last little bit, but the converter can't do that. That is the reason you should turn off the converter, or unhook the batteries to remove all phantom loads entirely during storage..

Look here: ... https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/6629-how-to-find-happiness-with-lifepo4-lithium-ion-batteries-solacity-article/

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 7

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

7 hours ago, John E Davies said:

\What really stresses them is being constantly "topped up", charged those last percent from say 98 to 100%. Such as what happens when you are parked in winter while having them hooked up to shore power or the solar panels. Try to avoid that situation if you can. The solar controller voltage setting can be turned down a little, so it doesn't try charging them that last little bit, but the converter can't do that. That is the reason you should turn off the converter, or unhook the batteries to remove all phantom loads entirely during storage..

I have both my solar charger and my Xantrex inverter / charger set up to charge my lithiums to 13.2V and float them at 13.2V.  That keeps them at right around 55% SoC, so pretty much perfect for storage when you want your systems operational and your batteries at a safe SoC (have to keep an eye on the power and make sure it's always on - not a problem for me since my Oliver is stored at home).  I do fully charge my batteries about once a month or so as that is recommended by almost all lithium battery manufacturers.

If you learn how to properly configure your lithium chargers (configurations change based on use cases), then you can manage your batteries to hopefully get the full potential out of your batteries.

For what it's worth, my LifeBlue lithiums have the following SoC at the following voltages (I think all batteries will vary a bit so test your own), and I change the settings regularly based on my use cases:

13.1V = 25% SoC (not used, but nice to know - this is where I would like to recharge if possible)

13.2V = 55% SoC (I use this voltage when I'm storing our trailer at home)

13.3V = 67% SoC (I use this voltage when I'm camping with full power hookups)

13.4V = 98% SoC (I don't use this voltage much)

13.5V = 99% SoC (I use this voltage just before I leave on a trip if I want the most without fully topping off)

13.6V - 13.8V = 100% SoC (achieved with a setting of 14.4V on the charger until the amps drop to zero)

• Like 6

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

We do not have the solar system and only use the batteries that come from the factory. Since the batteries are always being charged and have found that the original battery only lasted 3 years before it would not charge anymore (ligiid in battery went dry) we now plug and unplug the trailer ever two weeks or so. This lets the batteries run on there own power and then plug the trailer back in for a day to recharge, this way our batteries are getting recycled as they should be. This was the way many on the forum said the way we should be doing it using Deep Cycle Batteries. We do not Boondock so battery power is used very little, if any 99% of the time. After two weeks with the trailer not being plugged in our meter will read right about 12.0V. 

trainman

• Like 3

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

• Moderators
On 7/14/2022 at 8:16 PM, PapaBiker said:

Thanks.  I’m considering a lithium upgrade when the AGMs fail.  When you camp with full services now, do you have to disconnect the lithium batteries?

Whether you dry camp or have shore power your batteries supply power to all your 12v needs, which is basically everything not connected to a 110V outlet and the AC.  If you disconnect your batteries you’d have no lights, water pump, jacks, maxxfan, etc.  I rarely turn on my charger when on shore power, my batteries rely almost exclusively on solar.  Mike

• Like 4

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 6:24 PM, Mike and Carol said:

We had AGMs for almost 6 years.  Always had it plugged in to shore power when stored (covered spot).  No issues.  I now have lithiums and don’t plug into shore power but have a battery cut off switch that I turn off when in storage.  Mike

Did you add a battery cut off switch or did it come on it?

2019 Oliver Elite II, Hull #550  --  2019 Ram 1500 Hemi 7.4L  Big Horn

spacer.png

• Moderators

The new batteries have their own switches, from my reading, here. Verify with Oliver 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Jenna said:

Did you add a battery cut off switch or did it come on it?

Lithiums were not available in 2015 when we ordered our Oliver.  Battery cut off switches were not offered either.  When we swapped out the AGMs with lithium (3 Battle Borns) in January 2021 I added a cut off switch.  Got it from Amazon, very easy to do.  Mike

• Like 4