Tire pressure confusion - Legacy Elite 2 POLL

John E Davies

LE2 Tire pressure   

72 members have voted

1. 1. Please answer any or all that apply

• Does your trailer have a Tire Pressure Placard that shows a DIFFERENT value from 80 psi? If so please post a picture here.
    • My tires are set to 80 psi
    • My tires are 60 to 79 psi
    • My tires are 50 to 59 psi
    • My tires are less than 50 psi

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Jps190 said:

The big use for onboard air would be to install a train horn for left lane drivers.

LOVE IT!

He tooted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
3 hours ago, mossemi said:

And the only time I needed it was to help a neighboring camper air up his bicycle tires.

When I get to Talihina OK, I have 8 miles of steep fire road to haul up Ollie.  The road is graded (sometimes) and I am dodging rocks and bigger holes along the way.  So airing up and down is a routine that I do twice a summer each way.  

But you are right, I have allowed others to use it far more often each year than the Buffalo Mountain Road drill I use it on.  But the real benefit is having it in the truck when going off road.  Again, mostly for others use......

GJ

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Lots of good ideas and thoughts on this. Thanks. Just for conversation I will be a devils advocate "lightly" regarding tire inflation for both the TV and Ollie. But allow me to digress for a brief moment.

Awhile back on an automotive forum, doesn't really matter which one but might have been a Tundra forum, there was a somewhat heated discussion regarding a gentleman who had gone from standard P rated tires to LT tires on his truck and asked what PSI should they be run. Sensible question but one fellow ripped the guy up on side and down the other claiming he should be running his tires full bore tilt at 80 PSI or risk a blowout and kill everybody on the highway. The answer struck me as a bit extreme given the research I had done on the subject to this point. 

Effectively it is true running tires at 80 PSI will reduce less heat build up due to less flexing and perhaps increasing gas mileage along the way, but is this the only safety factor of the equation to be considered? I have my doubts. What about braking, handling, maneuvering especially if in an emergency situation. At 80 PSI on lighter vehicles such as half ton trucks or Olivers there will not be enough tread on the road (the way the engineers and manufacturers designed the tire to operate). The tire chalk test bears this out too. Cutting to the chase, imagine having to swerve out of the way because some reckless driver runs a red light in front of you. Cornering and braking will not be optimum with over inflated tires and it compounds exponentially if towing a trailer.

I'm certainly no expert on the subject but believe much depends on the individual vehicles and trailers and tires. What I can add from personal experience on a trip this past Sept from MT to southern UT with new LT tires. Ran my TV at 50 PSI and Oliver at 45 PSI. Truck being a tad bit heavier and loaded in the back with gear and tongue weight of trailer. Kept a close eye on heat and tire pressure build up with the TST TPMS and both did fine and this was driving through some 100º heat in SLC late afternoon. Thankfully no emergency maneuvering on the trip to test my theory.

And for sure don't go up the gravel road to Green River Lakes in the Wind River Range with 80 PSI on either of your rigs. 🤣

• Thanks 2
  • Like 5

Legacy Elite II #70

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Again, mostly for others use......

It's the same with my battery jump box.  Sharing is caring!

Mossey

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

FYI:  Our Viair kit sits next to the spare SureFlo in the "pump section" of the Casablanca "garage".  The Viair was handy in adjusting tire pressures at the end of our stay at The Q last month - but the SureFlo hasn't seen the light of day since it was stowed.  Hope it never does....

• Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 12/25/2023 at 6:55 PM, ScubaRx said:

I'm sure you thought of this, but I most certainly would put the spare onto the rear axle.

Steve another good one.  Thanks.

To stir the discussion pot a bit, should we put the single tire on the port (Street) or starboard (Curb) side and why?  I have looked on line for any statistical data as to which side gets more flats, but have found no reliable info. 

My gut says put the single (best tire) on the port (Street) side.  Why?  There are more curbs, pot holes and other debris migrating "down slope" that direction and that may induce higher odds of another flat.  But that's just my humble guess. 

Who has the facts on this?

GJ    

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Who has the facts on this?

No "facts" from me but I agree with your street side reasoning for yet another reason.  Since most roads have a crown (the middle of the road is higher than the shoulders of the road such that rain can drain to the shoulders of the road more easily), there is more of the vehicle's weight on the curb side tires versus the street side tires.  Therefore, the less weight you have on the side of the vehicle (or trailer) that has only one tire or any questionable tires the better off you probably are.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

On 2/22/2024 at 11:45 AM, mossemi said:

And the only time I needed it was to help a neighboring camper air up his bicycle tires.

When I get to Talihina OK, I have 8 miles of 10%+ grade fire road to haul Ollie up Buffalo Mountain.  The road is graded (sometimes) and I am dodging rocks and holes along much of it.  But there are times that I must also use every tool I have (4WD, Low Range, Low Gear, Locker Rear axle, and deair my tires as well.  Since at the bottom I have no idea what I'll be encountering going up, my airing up and down when in doubt is just a smart precaution.    

But like you, I probably have loaned the compressor to others far more times than I have used it.  

GJ

• Like 3

Two Flat Tires On Your OE2

Steve as time permits, would you please consider splitting this topic off separately.  I sort of highjacked JD's Tire Pressure Confusion thread with this topic.  As a safety topic, it warrants all of us to consider the possibility as has been mentioned.  Thanks, GJ.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have consolidated the great inputs for the topic, and added several more as I ran the scenario several times in my brain.  The attachment reflects what I, and many of you, believe to be a reasonable order of tasks to accomplish. It is not perfect, but certainly can be adjusted to fit your situation.  I hope that it is never needed in your case, but I know it has already happened to more than a few. 

WORD OF CAUTION: 

Two Flat Tires On An OE2.docxItem 6 is hypothetical from my pea-brain.  I have not tried it, but I do think that it will work as intended.  Key question is how the EZ-Flex will impact the dunnage, specifically will it be needed on both axles?

Hopefully one of our owners could mock it up while doing their bearing service.  Maybe add pictures of their solution to this thread.  I will not see my trailer until July, and certainly will do so then.  But  sooner than then would be a great service to our Community.

Travel safely and enjoy life every day!

GJ

• Like 1