Jump to content

Power cord while stored


Recommended Posts

Hi all, strange question, but our trailer is parked by the garage and I am using the OTT power cord plugged into our new 30 amp outlet that we had installed for the storage time.  Should I have a different cord for that purpose?  It's maybe 15 feet to the outlet.  I just wonder if having my trailer power cord exposed to the elements  for 5-6 months is wise.  Maybe I should get a cord that's shorter for storage season and leaving the "good" power cord for actual use camping.  TIA.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. 

2022 Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.  The cord that came with you trailer is nothing special, there are after market cords that do the same.  I got another cord without the locking lug that I carry to extend the reach of my locking cord if needed.  We’ve had a few sites where our standard cord didn’t reach and the extension made the difference.  Mike

  • Thanks 2
  • Like 4

Texas Hill Country | Elite II #135 | Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator+

I agree with Mike. The only thing I would add would be if it were constantly exposed to sunlight the UV (might) damage the outside insulation. I truly don't know. If you are only trying to keep the batteries charged, you could consider buying or making a shorter cord dedicated to that one task. The cord that comes with the trailers is 10 awg. Cords that heavy might cost $3/foot for the wire and then the proper fittings for each end if you wanted to make up a dedicated one. A 12 awg cord can be bought relatively cheap locally and it will handle everything but possibly running the A/C.

The proper ends would be like these:

Male...

Female...

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher and Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie and Lucy (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

 

             801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even though you could attach a smaller gauge cable to 30 amp connectors, I'd be hesitant to do so. Someday down the road someone could grab the wrong cord and fire up the A/C, risking overheating the cable and a fire. I just don't like mismatching amp ratings between wire and connectors (unless the wire capacity is greater than the connectors).

And, yes, I understand that's what we're doing when we use something like a 30A to 15A adapter, but I feel like that's a bit different because we can see the adapter and know that the capacity has been derated. How about something like this for use at home: Leisure Cords 90 Degree 15' Power/Extension Cord with 30 AMP Male Standard / 30 AMP Female 90 Degree Locking Adapter (30 Amp - 15 Foot) https://a.co/d/ewDztDt

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.e6391b9064a3f8f0951751f985664135.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mike and Carol said:

I don’t think it’s anything to worry about.  The cord that came with you trailer is nothing special, there are after market cords that do the same.  I got another cord without the locking lug that I carry to extend the reach of my locking cord if needed.  We’ve had a few sites where our standard cord didn’t reach and the extension made the difference.  Mike

Good to know that occasionally you need an extension.

John 

  • Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. 

2022 Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator+
2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Even though you could attach a smaller gauge cable to 30 amp connectors, I'd be hesitant to do so. Someday down the road someone could grab the wrong cord and fire up the A/C, risking overheating the cable and a fire. I just don't like mismatching amp ratings between wire and connectors (unless the wire capacity is greater than the connectors).

And, yes, I understand that's what we're doing when we use something like a 30A to 15A adapter, but I feel like that's a bit different because we can see the adapter and know that the capacity has been derated. How about something like this for use at home: Leisure Cords 90 Degree 15' Power/Extension Cord with 30 AMP Male Standard / 30 AMP Female 90 Degree Locking Adapter (30 Amp - 15 Foot) https://a.co/d/ewDztDt

Apparently my reply was not clear. I intended that anyone making up another shorter cord should be using the $3/foot 10 awg wire with the displayed ends. My suggestion of a lighter 12 awg extension cord was intended for only light duty (not running the A/C.) Sorry for the miscommunication.

  • Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Steve, Tali and the dogs: Reacher and Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie and Lucy (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

 

             801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Even though you could attach a smaller gauge cable to 30 amp connectors, I'd be hesitant to do so. Someday down the road someone could grab the wrong cord and fire up the A/C, risking overheating the cable and a fire. I just don't like mismatching amp ratings between wire and connectors (unless the wire capacity is greater than the connectors).

And, yes, I understand that's what we're doing when we use something like a 30A to 15A adapter, but I feel like that's a bit different because we can see the adapter and know that the capacity has been derated. How about something like this for use at home: Leisure Cords 90 Degree 15' Power/Extension Cord with 30 AMP Male Standard / 30 AMP Female 90 Degree Locking Adapter (30 Amp - 15 Foot) https://a.co/d/ewDztDt

Thanks.  I think that I will get that.   I want to reserve my supplied power cord for camping use and using that  15 foot cord will save wear on my 25 foot cord due to weather.  It also might come in handy for those rare times when we might need more than 25 feet to reach the pedestal.  I assume that I could use both cords together in those cases.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. 

2022 Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We ended up several feet short of a power outlet the first week after leaving OTT with our E2 at a HipCamp. I called Service and they assured me that you can add a 50 foot cord to the 25 footer provided making 75 feet total but not to go any longer than 75 feet since it results in other unintended consequences (power loss and subsequent problems related to that). We've used the 50 footer several times but have never had to put the two together. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 2

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Currently Denver Based

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
4 hours ago, AlbertNTerri said:

We've used the 50 footer several times

I'll bet that 50 footer is one heavy puppy.

Since the need for an extension cord is so rare (at least for me its only been one time in 7 years) I bought a 30 foot 10 gauge regular extension cord.  Its lighter, smaller and will still allow me to run the a/c if needed.

For John's application something smaller would do (as pointed out in a couple of the posts above) as long as the use of the a/c was controlled and monitored.  AS far as the original cord being used - I'd make sure that it had UV protection applied to it at least every couple of months.

Bill

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, topgun2 said:

I'll bet that 50 footer is one heavy puppy.

Since the need for an extension cord is so rare (at least for me its only been one time in 7 years) I bought a 30 foot 10 gauge regular extension cord.  Its lighter, smaller and will still allow me to run the a/c if needed.

For John's application something smaller would do (as pointed out in a couple of the posts above) as long as the use of the a/c was controlled and monitored.  AS far as the original cord being used - I'd make sure that it had UV protection applied to it at least every couple of months.

Bill

"AS far as the original cord being used - I'd make sure that it had UV protection applied to it at least every couple of months."

Bill, how is that done?  We live on a north facing hill and have sun on the trailer area only about half the day due to some tall fir trees, so it's not as solar intensive, but I would be interested in what UV protection you use.  Thanks.

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. 

2022 Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
17 minutes ago, John Welte said:

but I would be interested in what UV protection you use.  Thanks.

At the beginning of the "season" and again at the end I clean the cord very well and then apply THIS stuff according to directions.

Bill

p.s.  If for some reason the cord gets weathered (think serious rain, sand, mud, dragging through a bunch of wet grass, etc.) during the heavy camping year, I'll apply 303 more often.

  • Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, John Welte said:

I assume that I could use both cords together in those cases.

Yes.  But, I recommend carrying a 1-Gallon Ziploc bag in which to enclose the connection between the 30A two cords.  Cut a hole in the side opposite the bag opening for one cord, tape up that hole with Goorilla tape, insert the cord connections, and press the other side closed.  This helps keep rain water and condensation out of the open connection between the cords.

  • Thanks 1

 

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

spacer.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, John Welte said:

I assume that I could use both cords together in those cases.

Actually, no. 30A RV extension cords have a different female end. No twist-lock. 

  • Thanks 1

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.e6391b9064a3f8f0951751f985664135.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rivernerd said:

Yes.  But, I recommend carrying a 1-Gallon Ziploc bag in which to enclose the connection between the 30A two cords.  Cut a hole in the side opposite the bag opening for one cord, tape up that hole with Goorilla tape, insert the cord connections, and press the other side closed.  This helps keep rain water and condensation out of the open connection between the cords.

Great idea!

John

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. 

2022 Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, topgun2 said:

I'll bet that 50 footer is one heavy puppy.

Bet it was - I am SO looking forward to having a 30 amp cord.  I had a 30’ 50 amp cord on the Airstream and I can remember several occasions coming out to disconnect for an early launch in single digit temps. That cord would freeze solid and did not want to curl up, not to mention how heavy it was!  It would go in the back of the truck for that leg.

3 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

Actually, no. 30A RV extension cords have a different female end. No twist-lock. 

Happy to see you put this in writing, I was wondering if I was the only one thinking this. You can either get a longer replacement cord or get an extension cord but they are not interchangeable.

Always good discussions here!

Brian

  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Brian and Brandelyne

Paris, TN

2020 Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3L V-8 (Gas), 10 Speed, FX4, Max Tow Package, Firestone Airbags

2023 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Tail # TN 23-1351, Expected Delivery Date 3/08/2023

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just use the cord that came with the camper. We did the same with our other camper and never have had any issues with it being out in the elements all winter. 

  • Like 1

2021 Dodge Ram 1500 

2021 Oliver Elite ll 

Hull #732 

Michigan 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...