This is such a great story, I've moved it out of the Classifieds (originally Titled: Looking to buy an Ollie)

angler

On 2/18/2023 at 1:50 PM, angler said:

Hey Forum Pals,

I love all your comments. Thanks for the support, and it's great to have my rig back. Hopefully I will be on the road again in a month or so.  I have been looking at the Proven Industries lock that Snake River suggests.  My rig is about 30 miles away at the repair shop, so I can't easily look at it, but if my fading geriatric memory serves, it seems that the bulldog hitch is held to the frame by a single bolt. Does anyone know if the Proven Industries hitch lock covers this bolt or could the thieves simply unbolt the hitch and quickly attach their own to the rig.  It also looks like Proven Industries also makes a killer wheel lock. Any one have experience with it?

This theft has turned me a bit paranoid, and I have looked at a few videos of how easy it is to freeze (liquid nitrogen) or pick many of the low to moderately priced wheel locks.  I'd love to hear more people's thoughts on security.  Obviously the best is indoors and locked up, but I am not in a location where I can manage that.  Any one have experience with removable bollards in front of the rig?  I suspect that I will go with multiple items. Hitch lock, wheel lock or two, tracker, and perhaps pulling the pin to the brake locks so they are always on.  It's getting a bit over the top, but...

RE your comment above ( ...and perhaps pulling the pin to the brake locks so they are always on...)

DO NOT pull the pin to leave the brakes on all the time.  Doing that will only work until it depletes your batteries then you will have no battery power, the brakes will release and the trailer can be rolled away...

On the other hand, it is recommended to routinely pull the pin to check to make sure the safety mechanism is functioning properly, this amounts to an emergency braking system in the event your trailer breaks loose of your tow vehicle on the road, it will help slow it down, or at least it will cause it to have skid marks into whatever it careens into as it freewheels into something. 

I too have a Proven Industry lock but I upgraded the puck lock to an Abloy Sentry Cylinder in a Steel Ft. Knox puck lock body which I bought from Ft. Knox Locks. it ended up costing almost $400 for the set (Bulldog lock by Proven and an upgraded Abloy cylinder in a Ft knox Steel puck-lock) but for the nearly $100,000 piece of equipment I'm looking to protect it didn't seem out of line to spend that much. 

Puck lock with ugraded Abloy key cylinder (which is virtually unpickable)

https://ftknoxlocks.com/shop/ols/products/abloy-sentry-cylinder-in-ft-knox-steel-puck-lock-body 

Proven Industries locks

https://www.provenlocks.com/

I didn't like the aluminum puck lock that came with the Proven Industries lock so that's why I opted for the Ft Knox puck lock and use it with the Proven Industries bull dog coupler lock. It's a very nice combination.

• Like 4

spacer.png

Albert & Terri Sterns

Paonia, Colorado

Elite II Hull #1125 Standard Floorplan / 2017 Ford F250 gas

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

It is possible to replace your brake assemblies with units that have a mechanical “parking brake feature”. That system is operated by cables and a lever that mounts on the tongue. It is designed to be left on ALL the time you are parked. It also provides extra stability when you are camping by stopping the rocking of the tires. It does not replace chocks!

If you mounted the actuating lever out of sight, under the tongue or in the doghouse (propane cover) it would be a fairly effective theft deterrent.

4FFB7FC8-1E6E-431D-BCDC-D05F222FD405.thumb.jpeg.438209bc42f2262c800b3abc8325dc4c.jpeg

If your existing brakes are worn or corroded, this would be a sensible upgrade.

Dexter Electric Trailer Brake Assembly with Parking Brake - 12" - Left Hand - 6,000 lbs

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 4

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

2 hours ago, John E Davies said:

assemblies with units that have a mechanical “parking brake feature

We had this on our Black Series HQ15. We liked it and it performed very well. 
Kirk

• Like 1

Kirk and Carrie Peterson

Twin Falls, Idaho

2018 Ram 3500, with overland conversion: Rooftop tent, water, stove, Battle Born batteries, lockers, onboard air, raised air intake, Warn winch. 

2023 Elite 2, twin beds, delivered December 5, 2022 Truma package, lithium platinum package.
Hull #1305

Any theft deterrent that we can employ, short of standing outside our Ollie's with a shot gun, can be defeated.  As in the military, the best defense has multiple layers to slow down or degrade the attacker.  I also submit that our security devices should minimize storage and weight for travel.  Here are my suggested layers of defense:  

Layer 1.  For long term (Not Occupied), I start my security prep by lowering the trailer tongue.  Simple.  Free.  No added weight.

Layer 2:   For this layer I use two items suggested by John D years ago:  Unlike the Proven Ind. cover, they easily fit into a kitchen drawer and weigh a lot less than ten pounds.  They are a deterrent that some bad guys will walk away.  I cover them with large coffee can or a bucket for both weather protection, and also so that passers by can't see what I have in store for them.  Most do not bring the power tools required to defeat these devices.  

image.png.73c4ad04ff8511f77d88e4e8b2253ad3.pngimage.png.6e7f81c8ce64158508ea19fb69772e94.png

For those really serious thieves that do have the power tools please proceed to Layer 6.

For those less prepared thieves that do not have the power tools, please proceed to Layer  3.

Layer 3.  After they get through chewing their way through Layer 2, they then will likely try to dead lift our 640 pound tongue weight.  However their sore backs quickly veto that approach.  They have a eureka moment when they see the front jack.  They eagerly remove the cover and activate the jack to raise the bulldog onto their hitch.  But the jack does not work because I removed the fuse.  They cut the wires and splice them around the fuse.  But drats that does not work either because my DC Master Switch is in the OFF position.  So sorry guys.  More time burned.

Layer 4:  Now they are really getting nervous as their 60 seconds and gone plan is out the window.  But determined they are and they fetch their vehicle scissors jack that is buried in their TV.  But to use it near the tongue, that you will recall is near the ground, requires them to excavate a small trench.  They waste time figuring out that they can move the jack aft and try to raise it from there.  But that typically means that the jack will not extend high enough to get the bulldog over their super duty truck hitch.   Sorry for your back injuries from trying to power lifting our 640 pound tongue weight.  More time wasted.

Layer 5:   In their haste, they had failed to notice that I also have a security lock on the Bulldog.  More time wasted to saw off that lock.  At this point the dumb ones give up on my Ollie and go to yours.

But the Professional thieves have a different path entirely.  Instead of taking the time to attack hardened steel, they bypass them entirely. 

They back up their truck to the bulldog, grab our safety chains/cables and wrap them tightly around their hitch and run them through two carabiners. 

Fasten them and hall ass.  Truly 60 seconds and gone. 

Layer 6:  But wait, you took a few seconds to bolt and double nut your safety cables/chains to together up under the fiberglass propane tank cover.  Now they have to go fetch real tools to unbolt or cut your grade 8 steel bolt.  More time wasted.   

Layer 7:  Your last straw of hope in getting your trailer back is that tracker you placed over Ollie.  Why here?  Because no double bubble and better reception overhead. 

The above are the best seven of my 12 "Home Alone" fun things to mess with thieves.  But if you want to explore others consider:  Exploding dye packs, trip wires to screamers, and my all time favorite is an electric fence transformer grounded and attached to the frame of Ollie.  🙂

GJ 

PS:  My favorite fun movie is the Christmas Special "Home Alone".  I liked the original one the best.

• Like 5

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 2/20/2023 at 4:28 AM, John E Davies said:

If you mounted the actuating lever out of sight, under the tongue or in the doghouse (propane cover) it would be a fairly effective theft deterrent

I really like the idea.  But for the topic of this thread, I would consider that the thieves will be all over the front of the trailer, and could see the large handle.  I would mount near the back bumper.  They would not likely see it an it would be a great safety device for parking on grades as well.

GJ

• Like 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

8 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Any theft deterrent that we can employ, short of standing outside our Ollie's with a shot gun, can be defeated.  As in the military, the best defense has multiple layers to slow down or degrade the attacker.  I also submit that our security devices should minimize storage and weight for travel.  Here are my suggested layers of defense:  

Layer 1.  For long term (Not Occupied), I start my security prep by lowering the trailer tongue.  Simple.  Free.  No added weight.

Layer 2:   For this layer I use two items suggested by John D years ago:  Unlike the Proven Ind. cover, they easily fit into a kitchen drawer and weigh a lot less than ten pounds.  They are a deterrent that some bad guys will walk away.  I cover them with large coffee can or a bucket for both weather protection, and also so that passers by can't see what I have in store for them.  Most do not bring the power tools required to defeat these devices.  

image.png.73c4ad04ff8511f77d88e4e8b2253ad3.pngimage.png.6e7f81c8ce64158508ea19fb69772e94.png

For those really serious thieves that do have the power tools please proceed to Layer 6.

For those less prepared thieves that do not have the power tools, please proceed to Layer  3.

Layer 3.  After they get through chewing their way through Layer 2, they then will likely try to dead lift our 640 pound tongue weight.  However their sore backs quickly veto that approach.  They have a eureka moment when they see the front jack.  They eagerly remove the cover and activate the jack to raise the bulldog onto their hitch.  But the jack does not work because I removed the fuse.  They cut the wires and splice them around the fuse.  But drats that does not work either because my DC Master Switch is in the OFF position.  So sorry guys.  More time burned.

Layer 4:  Now they are really getting nervous as their 60 seconds and gone plan is out the window.  But determined they are and they fetch their vehicle scissors jack that is buried in their TV.  But to use it near the tongue, that you will recall is near the ground, requires them to excavate a small trench.  They waste time figuring out that they can move the jack aft and try to raise it from there.  But that typically means that the jack will not extend high enough to get the bulldog over their super duty truck hitch.   Sorry for your back injuries from trying to power lifting our 640 pound tongue weight.  More time wasted.

Layer 5:   In their haste, they had failed to notice that I also have a security lock on the Bulldog.  More time wasted to saw off that lock.  At this point the dumb ones give up on my Ollie and go to yours.

But the Professional thieves have a different path entirely.  Instead of taking the time to attack hardened steel, they bypass them entirely. 

They back up their truck to the bulldog, grab our safety chains/cables and wrap them tightly around their hitch and run them through two carabiners. 

Fasten them and hall ass.  Truly 60 seconds and gone. 

Layer 6:  But wait, you took a few seconds to bolt and double nut your safety cables/chains to together up under the fiberglass propane tank cover.  Now they have to go fetch real tools to unbolt or cut your grade 8 steel bolt.  More time wasted.   

Layer 7:  Your last straw of hope in getting your trailer back is that tracker you placed over Ollie.  Why here?  Because no double bubble and better reception overhead. 

The above are the best seven of my 12 "Home Alone" fun things to mess with thieves.  But if you want to explore others consider:  Exploding dye packs, trip wires to screamers, and my all time favorite is an electric fence transformer grounded and attached to the frame of Ollie.  🙂

GJ 

PS:  My favorite fun movie is the Christmas Special "Home Alone".  I liked the original one the best.

What tracker do you use and how is it attached or hidden?  That's a Fort Knox approach to keeping your Ollie.  Thanks.  I use the Proven Ind. Lock and their puck lock when it's outside by our garage.  Thinking of security cameras next.  You'd be surprised at the number of boats and trailers secured with only a cheap Masterlock that I see when walking in the neighborhood.

John

• Like 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

14 hours ago, John Welte said:

What tracker do you use and how is it attached or hidden? 

In my circumstance the current version of RV trackers are lacking.  My rig is in a dark barn on top of an Oklahoma mountain for 8 or 9 months a year.  None of the top trackers have that kind of battery life.  As you suggested fixed camera systems are likely the best option in my case.  Something simple as a ring camera facing Ollie is the best option I can think of for my circumstances.

Regardless, here is a fairly recent summary of the top three RV trackers that may be of interest for those that have access to their RV on a more frequent basis:

https://campersandcampfires.com/rv-gps-tracker/

GJ

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a well equipped 2021 Legacy Elite Standard Floor Plan for Sale. Low mileage. Very good condition. In Illinois.

David Johnston 

Phone: 309-333-7878

E-Mail:  dljfarmland@gmail.com

stadard

• The title was changed to This is such a great story, I've moved it out of the Classifieds (originally Titled: Looking to buy an Ollie)
  • 4 months later...
On 2/20/2023 at 9:20 PM, John Welte said:

Layer 8:  ... a well placed 220gr .45ACP round where it belongs

• Haha 2

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

One other item that's easy to implement. Have a local engraver make a VIN plate from stainless or brass with your trailer VIN engraved on it. Install it with a couple pop rivets on the inside of the frame rail under the trailer right below where the VIN sticker is applied by the factory. If a thief peals the VIN sticker off, you still have solid identification you can us on a police report. This was recommended to me when I had my camper inspected by Indiana State Police for title transfer purposes when we brought it home. If you have a set of number stamps, you could stamp the number into the frame in that location yourself. Very inconspicuous to say the least. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

What's today?............. the most frequently asked question as a retiree 🙄

Chris and Stacie Neuhaus Greenfield, Indiana

2021 Ford F350 7.3L Tremor (Redzilla)

LE2 #1373 - Ordered 10/21/22 - Delivered 05/10/23

States Visited Map

I've got a cheapie hitch lock, and a heavy chain I'll loop through one of the rims, connected to something else. This thread will motivate me to up my game. My bias is toward a tracker. I'll check out the options to see what works best. I'm of the mind that if a criminal wants my trailer bad enough, they'll take it. The tracker would allow me and law enforcement to take action.

2021 Elite II #841, 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4, 3.0 diesel

• Moderators

Read the first posts in the thread. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:11 AM, angler said:

Hoorah. Ollie lives! Stolen rig returned!  Police found it behind a stolen tow vehicle behind a locked gate (locks cut) in a rancher's field less than a mile from the police station.  It was stuck in the mud and two people who had been living in it had gone out to get a friend to help them get out of the mud when the rancher arrived, and the thieves raced away.  Police didn't catch them, but they did find identifying evidence (jail release papers) and opioid detox meds from the jail pharmacy for one of them. Of course, most of my gear was stolen, and a lot of their stuff was in it. Thank goodness for the fiberglass inner hull which will make it much easier to clean/sanitize.  There's work to do: negotiating with insurance, broken off stabilizer jack to replace, spray paint on the hull, stolen spare tire and fiberglass cover, destroyed door lock, wrecked entry stair and scratches on the hull, plus cleaning, fumigating and replacing contents, but we will be on the road again this spring and summer.

So here's my question: fourteen years in my driveway in a big city, and never messed with before. Reasonable quality hitch lock and motion detector lights.  What all do you folks recommend as security systems. You can bet I am paranoid, and short of trying to build an enclosure, what do you folks do to keep your beloved rigs safe?

Thanks, Angler, Hull #27

470257C6-C213-48CD-8B61-9549EEBF0A7F.heic 2.03 MB · 64 downloads 502D75D4-929A-499C-A8A7-E01237E6022A.heic 2.58 MB · 31 downloads

When I purchased my Ollie I immediately bought and installed a tracking device, along with deterrence locks. (I did this because I had a utility trailer stolen from me. Now, everything's got a hidden tracking device.)

• Like 2

Dave & Terri Mazone

2022 LII Hull #1019

TV: 2001 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD diesel, Crew Cab (4WD)