has anyone tried the new Dometic fresh jet 2200?

Roadlotus

Camping World description for Dometic Freshjet 3  states that Dometic heat strip accessory can be added with Universal ADB.   It also mentions that Dometic SmartStart can be added to allow 2000W generators to be used.   As already mentioned, the unit bolts right on without mods to the trailer body, uses the existing condensate drain lines, ADB, and thermostat, and is very quiet.  Extensive dealer service network.   I don’t need the heat strip as I use a small portable heater when on shore power.    This checks all the boxes for me.  Comments?

Dometic Freshjet 3 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory
On 5/26/2023 at 1:46 PM, Frank C said:

No heat strip in the new Dometic freshJet?  I didn’t see it mentioned in the features.  Our old Dometic has the electric heat strip which we use quite often for just getting the interior warmed up a bit on cold mornings when we are at a campground with shore power instead of burning propane to run the furnace.  

From Camping World-

NOTE: For those who require a non-ducted heat strip application on the FreshJet 3 AC, it has been approved that you can use the Dometic Non-Ducted Heat Strip Kit (item 72431) installed in the Universal Air Distribution Box (item 69943).

Camping World FreshJet 3 Series product info

• Thanks 1
  • Like 4

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

44 minutes ago, Hokieman said:

Camping World description for Dometic Freshjet 3  states that Dometic heat strip accessory can be added with Universal ADB.   It also mentions that Dometic SmartStart can be added to allow 2000W generators to be used.   As already mentioned, the unit bolts right on without mods to the trailer body, uses the existing condensate drain lines, ADB, and thermostat, and is very quiet.  Extensive dealer service network.   I don’t need the heat strip as I use a small portable heater when on shore power.    This checks all the boxes for me.  Comments?

Dometic Freshjet 3 

Beat me to it! Sorry I missed your post...

2010 Elite II, Hull #45.  2014 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7 with tow package.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 5:00 PM, rangered said:

Happy to report that I have installed the Dometic FreshJet air conditioner on my Oliver this week.

The install was fairly easy only taking a couple hours for two of us to complete. I rigged up a 3 to 1 pulley system in my workshop to lift up and remove the old noisey Penguin model. The new FreshJet is significantly lighter than the old unit, and a friend and I were able to stand on some scaffolding and lift it up and onto the Oliver. The wiring connections were easy to complete using the existing thermostat control box.

I purchased the FreshJet 3 Series from RV Parts Country;  $896.00 plus $124.00 shipping.

So far my wife and I are happy with the performance of the FreshJet, it quickly brought down the indoor temperature and humidity on a hot Tennessee summer day. Best of all is the difference in the sound levels between the old and new units (69db versus 52db).

Many thanks to @RoadLotus for researching the FreshJet and making everyone aware of this quiet AC option for the Oliver.

IMG_1653.jpeg

image000000.jpg

In your picture the freshjet looks to be a lot taller than the original noisy Dometic. Is that correct?

2018 Oliver Elite II, Twin Bed, Hull #354 

2024 RAM 1500, 4 x 4; Gas. 5.7L V8 Hemi MDS VVT Torque; 3.21 rear axle ratio

Maine 

• 5 months later...
On 5/25/2023 at 9:27 AM, Roadlotus said:

it would be an easier retrofit, and when I look it up on Amazon, it says the sound level is 58 dB. That is lower than Houghton, I think.

Me thinks your sales agent was not informed on the Houghton sound levels.  We run ours on low fan speed the vast majority of the time.  It is ULTRA quiet.  I believe that the FreshJet is Competitor A.  This is from their web site:

image.png.dd292b2a8e8d88fef27a8f94f0bd631f.png

That said, until Houghton series we purchased has some specific disadvantages to some others:

• No internal drainage system.
  • Fan runs continuously with adverse humidity control.
  • The thermostat is not remotely located so it also contributes to cycling/humidity issues.

Granted, a handy DIY owner can:

• Add a relay to fix the fan issue fairly easily if electrically inclined
  • Reroute the thermostat function by getting a longer thermistor.  Installation is tedious for an Oliver.  

After a couple of years effort, I and others have not posted a fix for the drain issue.  So the condensate drains overboard the roof.  There is some indication that this may be resolved by a remote electric condensate pump, but I have not found any info on it yet.

So, from a sound perspective the Houghton appears to be a quieter unit.  But without having to rework the Houghton, I would not recommend it to owners that are not DIY inclined.  On the other hand, the above problems are well known to Houghton and when they have provided the American market with an internal condensate capability, remote T-stat and fan off when compressor is off program it will be a blockbuster unit.  

As a DIYer, yes I would purchase a Houghton in a heart beat.   But may owners would not want the hassle of having to update/mod a brand new unit. 

Hopefully another reader will have updates to my dated info.

GJ

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 5/11/2024 at 1:40 PM, Geronimo John said:

As a DIYer, yes I would purchase a Houghton in a heart beat.   But may owners would not want the hassle of having to update/mod a brand new unit. 

D and I can attest to how quiet the Houghton unit operates.  We did a side-by-side comparison last summer - first running the Dometic in "Zone-5 Afterburner" (its only mode) and attempting to converse inside with little luck.  

We then moved into John's unit a few yards away with his Houghton running - OMG, a significant drop in db level and we could actually communicate normally...

My subjective appraisal as it is... Just say'n.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca"
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

ALAZARCOIDLAMSMTNMOKTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Just read this thread and now I am really excited I have a far less expensive option than Truma. Thanks for the post!  We were at the rally but did not attend the service question and answer with Jason.  Was this topic discussed?  It appears from this thread, the Dometic Freshet 3 is a direct plug and play to its noisy older brother.  I did not see any posts saying anything electrical needed to change.  I also never saw if anyone answered the wattage required to start/run with a generator.   Does anyone know that answer?  Hull #246.

Edited by Going

Phil Drye

Hull #246, 2017 Elite II

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Going said:

Just read this thread and now I am really excited I have a far less expensive option than Truma. Thanks for the post!  We were at the rally but did not attend the service question and answer with Jason.  Was this topic discussed?  It appears from this thread, the Dometic Freshet 3 is a direct plug and play to its noisy older brother.  I did not see any posts saying anything electrical needed to change.  I also never saw if anyone answered the wattage required to start/run with a generator.   Does anyone know that answer?  Hull #246.

The FreshJet 3 was not discussed by Jason Essary during the service presentation at the rally. I bet if you reached out to Road Lotus with a PM she could provide you with further details on your questions. 
We had the Truma Aventa retro fit professional installed by Oliver absolutely zero regrets. 
Cheers!

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 3

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR”

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

North Carolina 🇺🇸

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that a 10db difference equates to 100 times the perceived noise level. Even a punk rock band member could distinguish that big a difference!

theOrca,  2020 Legacy Elite II, Twin, Hull 615

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2024 at 11:18 AM, theOrca said:

Keep in mind that a 10db difference equates to 100 times the perceived noise level. Even a punk rock band member could distinguish that big a difference!

Yuk, bad math... Sorry! (And the Navy sent me to school on this stuff.)

Tow Vehicle - 2016 Ram 1500, Hemi, 8 Speed with 1500# rear springs and Goodyear bags.

On 6/6/2023 at 2:44 PM, Geronimo John said:

The 2200 is only 7,500 BTU capacity.  For an OE2, that would not be enough capacity for the majority of HOT weather areas.  However, it would provide great de-humidificaiton as it would have very long run times between cycles or run all day long and be cycling off only at night.  Would prefer at least 9000 BTU for an OE2, and 11,000 being the ideal selection.  

GJ

That is the European model John. There are two models for here in the USA,, 15,000 and 13,500 BTU.

• Like 1