POLL: Hail Damage Assessment

MAX Burner

POLL: Hail Damage Assessment  

6 members have voted

1. 1. (2nd attempt to post this) If you have experienced hail damage (either towing or stationary), what were repair costs?

• $0
    • Less than or equal to $1k
    • Greater than $1k up to $5k
    • Greater than $5k up to $10k
    • Greater than $10k up to $15k
    • Greater than $15k
  2. 2. If so, what approximate size were the hail balls?

• Less than BB size -1/4"
    • Dime size - 1/2"
    • Marble size - 3/4"
    • Golfball size - 1"
    • Baseball size - 3" or greater
  3. 3. What were the affected areas of the OTT/TV by the hail storm?

• No appreciable damage
    • Bathroom Fan Cover
    • MaxxAir Fan Cover
    • A/C Unit Cover
    • Broken windows
    • Minor Gelcoat damage (noticeable cracks)
    • Severe Gelcoat damage (hull penetrations)
    • TV Hood/Roof
    • Awning/awning cover
    • Solar Modules

(Apologies if this post is redundant - second try at posting.  We tried posting this earlier and couldn't find it thereafter, trying again now.)

Please complete the attached poll regarding Oliver Hail Damage Assessment...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Still won’t work after NO. It requires answers for all. Just eliminate the first question entirely. We really don’t need to see how many owners never had an event happen. Add another question with repair cost ranges.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Edited the 1st question - the Poll should be good to go.

• Like 2

spacer.png

• 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs

ooops,

Allow multiple answers for number 3. I am not sure how to do that within a single question, it might require individual questions for each item.

John Davies
Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

@John E Davies:  Good catch, brother - probably the same issue with other questions.  Will edit accordingly...  TKX!

(3 minutes later) ...should be good now!

Maybe nobody has ever towed an Oliver through a hail storm because we're OCD enough to check WX reports before departure...(?)

Edited by MAX Burner
added info...
  • Like 2

spacer.png

• Moderators

@MAX Burner, could you add $0 to the first question, and "solar Panels" to the last, please?

There are a number of us who have experienced hail events, and sustained no damage whatsoever. I'd sure like the poll to be able to reflect that.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

@Wandering Sagebrush, he left the poll public, so , yes, you can see the responses.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2 minutes ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

is there a way to see results as they come in?

Yes. At the very bottom of the Poll there's a button for "show results" - tap it and you'll go to a results page.

spacer.png

6 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

could you add $0 to the first question, and "solar Panels" to the last, please?

Got 'em in there per your request, @SeaDawg.  Thanks, good catch!

Cheers!

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

• Moderators

Looks like it's working now. 

Thanks for all your hard work. I think many will find this interesting.

In my vote, I would note that we were visiting friends an hour away from the campsite, so our TV was not exposed to the hail storm. The steelie marble size hail was all over the ground when we returned, along with lots of shredded vegetation. 

This was at our camping property.  No other campers or rvs there with us, so nothing to compare to.

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

1 hour ago, SeaDawg said:

The steelie marble size hail was all over the ground when we returned, along with lots of shredded vegetation. 

Good to know that marble-size hail balls aren't a factor for a stationary OTT.  But supposing y'all were headed down the interstate at 60-65mph?  Inquiring minds would like to know, right?

spacer.png

• Moderators

That might be another question to add to your poll. 😀 Obviously,  more force when driving.  I'm sure most folks would pull into shelter, if possible, if a weather alert were issued. 

I was very glad we weren't there. It looked like snow on the ground, it was so thick. 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

7 minutes ago, SeaDawg said:

I was very glad we weren't there. It looked like snow on the ground, it was so thick. 

Just imagine how loud it would have been inside from the hail impacting the Ollie!

spacer.png

Just did the poll..  last August at Yellowstone, Madison CG.  Big hail storm, it lasted about 10 to 15 mins. We were worried, just picked up our Ollie in July.  Marble size hail. No damage to truck or camper.. I don’t want to go through that again…. The OILLIE held up great..

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2022 Elite I  # 1179  |  2024 Tundra SR5 4x4 Crewmax. 5.5 ft. Bed. 3.31gears 10 spd.trans

• Moderator+
7 hours ago, John E Davies said:

ooops,

Allow multiple answers for number 3. I am not sure how to do that within a single question, it might require individual questions for each item.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Question # 2 also allows multiple answers.

Plus, shouldn't the first question be whether you've ever been affected by hail?  With a Y/N answer. Because if it's "no", you don't need to continue.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+
9 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

(Apologies if this post is redundant - second try at posting.  We tried posting this earlier and couldn't find it thereafter, trying again now.)

Please complete the attached poll regarding Oliver Hail Damage Assessment...

I took your first poll down because it forced you to continue even if you answered no to the first question. You would not have gotten any usable information the way it was. I'm not sure you can count on good information with this one either.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Question # 2 also allows multiple answers.

Plus, shouldn't the first question be whether you've ever been affected by hail?  With a Y/N answer. Because if it's "no", you don't need to continue.

If you've never been in a hail event, what's the point of responding, imo?

As with most polls, we'll find flaws.

This poll is regarding Oliver travel trailers, only. Not SOB other trailers. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderator+
3 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

Because if we don't respond, even if the answer is "NO" the pollster can't determine the percentage of folks that HAVE encountered hail VS those who haven't. IF it were my poll, I would want to know that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

@SeaDawg: Exactly right on.

FYI/Clarification:  The poll was intended to find out about how an OTT behaves when pelted by various sizes of hail.  The idea came to mind after our friend's 1-yr old AS was totaled last month on their way through CO to the international AS rally there.  The original version of the poll had a Y/N question regarding whether or not one experienced a hail storm while towing - feedback indicated this was unnecessary, so it was removed.

10 hours ago, ScubaRx said:

if the answer is "NO" the pollster can't determine the percentage of folks that HAVE encountered hail VS those who haven't

@ScubaRx:  Not the intent - that could be the subject of a different poll.

Not being professional pollsters here, this was our first attempt designing a poll on this Forum, which was actually suggested we do by another member on a previous thread.  

14 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

As with most polls, we'll find flaws.

Hopefully, as more members respond, the Poll will reveal how well OTTs survive after taking hits that may total SOB travel trailers.  As for future polls, we'll apply lessons learned from this one and improve it next time around...

Bottom line, the Forum is all about healthy/intertaining information exchange and more importantly, having fun, right?

Cheers!

A & D

• Like 1

spacer.png

I would be interested in hearing more about the member who experienced baseball-size hail. I'm assuming they're also the one member that reported the more severe damage - solar panels, hull penetration, etc? Would also like to know if the hull was repaired successfully.

• Like 2

Stephanie and Dudley from CT.  2022 LE2, Hull #1150: Eggcelsior.

Tow vehicle: 2016 GMC Sierra 6.0 gas dually 4x4.

Our Oliver journey: Steph and Dud B's RV Screed

Where we've been RVing since 1999:

ALAZCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpg.b96241bad6752dec89d25af6ffbc8d99.jpg

13 minutes ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I would be interested in hearing more about the member who experienced baseball-size hail. I'm assuming they're also the one member that reported the more severe damage - solar panels, hull penetration, etc? Would also like to know if the hull was repaired successfully.

I think pictures would be appreciated!

Maybe we could have a 6th  choice for blue ice:

https://www.newsweek.com/passing-plane-drops-frozen-block-poo-over-town-shocking-residents-1600510

BTW this does indeed occur occasionally, but it is fortunately rare…

John Davies

Spokane WA 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Steph and Dud B said:

I would like that responder to add a post. Damage, BUT  ($0) cost? 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

17 hours ago, SeaDawg said:

BUT  ($0) cost? 

Concur.  I'm confused, how could there be damage to all categories listed and Zero cost?

spacer.png

On 7/29/2023 at 10:42 AM, Steph and Dud B said:

I would be interested in hearing more about the member who experienced baseball-size hail

I thought I posted this reply earlier, but it must not have made it due to poor service. I think you'll find the answer by clicking on the little people icon that shows who responded. Seems a mischievous Mississippian clicked every poll option possible. 😉

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg