Tire covers

Joe C

Hello,

My wife and I are new Oliver Elite II owners. In fact, we put the last 2023 built. We took it back home to Wyoming and I have it winterized, covered and plugged in to shore power. I am feeling pretty good about this coming winter, however, I would feel better with tire covers. What covers have you had good luck with?  Thank you for your suggestions. 

• Like 1

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory
6 hours ago, Joe C said:

Hello,

My wife and I are new Oliver Elite II owners. In fact, we put the last 2023 built. We took it back home to Wyoming and I have it winterized, covered and plugged in to shore power. I am feeling pretty good about this coming winter, however, I would feel better with tire covers. What covers have you had good luck with?  Thank you for your suggestions. 

Welcome to the Oliver family.  We just pulled #1290 through Wyoming last week.  Boondocked at Evanston in 17° temperature and stayed warm.  A little condensation on the windows, but very little.  Never on the walls.  Ours is stored outside in Oregon, plugged in with tire covers.  Ours was the third to last Elite II for 2022.

John

• Like 3

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

Hi Joe - great question. We are picking up our Ollie late February ‘24 and are just a few miles away from you in Jackson. Have to get together sometime!

Doug

ALCOGALANMNCTNTXmed.jpg
Doug & Jill - Wilson WY

Ozzie and Ruby - 2 Havanese characters

“Hull #1491” ‘24 LEII

’23 F-250 RapidRed KR 7.3 Godzilla

Curious why tire covers might be needed? I’ve seen them on semi-permanent campers, but not on most regular use campers. Please enlighten me. 

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Steve Morris said:

Curious why tire covers might be needed?

Primarily covers are used to reduce a tire's exposure to UV light which degrades the rubber over time.  The less light that the tires are exposed to results in longer life of the rubber.

Some people will use tire covers virtually all the time when stopped - even overnight.  But, most simply use them while the RV is in storage.

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Primarily covers are used to reduce a tire's exposure to UV light which degrades the rubber over time.  The less light that the tires are exposed to results in longer life of the rubber.

Some people will use tire covers virtually all the time when stopped - even overnight.  But, most simply use them while the RV is in storage.

Bill

I have the covers on all four tires even though when stored, the curbside tires face north and never have sun on them.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

John and Debbie, Beaverton, Oregon,  2017 Ford Expedition EL 4x4 3.5 liter Ecoboost, with heavy duty tow package. Hull #1290, twin bed with Truma package (a/c, furnace, hot water heater with electric antifreeze option), lithium pro package, picked up November 7, 2022

spacer.png

2 hours ago, topgun2 said:

Bill

Thanks Bill. I thought it might be for UV protection. But then, I don't put covers on my other vehicles, and they are in the sun right beside the trailer. So I guess I don't see a need for them for me. In both cases, they'd need replaced for age before wear.

Thanks

• Like 2

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, Steve Morris said:

I thought it might be for UV protection. But then, I don't put covers on my other vehicles, and they are in the sun right beside the trailer. So I guess I don't see a need for them for me. In both cases, they'd need replaced for age before wear.

Yes, there is more to the story.

It seems that for vehicles that get used more often than RV's the movement of the tire causes some distribution of the chemicals in the rubber.  Whereas when a tire stays static there is (obviously) no movement and/or flex.  In turn, this allows the surface of the tire to degrade faster than it "normally" would which eventually leads to cracking which leads to .....

When I put Twist into winter storage I first slightly elevate the tires from the gravel base by rolling the trailer onto pressure treated lumber that is covered in plastic sheeting.  This helps keep moisture away from the tires.  Then I cover each wheel with a tire cover and, finally, I place a 2 x 8 sheet of treated plywood over the covers.  This keeps rain, snow, weed wackers and the like from damaging the covers.  Perhaps a bit overkill, but, it makes me happy knowing that I've done all that I can think of to protect things while getting the most time out of them.

Bill

P1010258.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Like 6

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2023 at 3:21 AM, Steve Morris said:

Curious why tire covers might be needed? I’

i think he is wanting them for long term storage, not weekend campong.

GJ

• Like 1

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

2 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

i think he is wanting them for long term storage, not weekend campong.

GJ

Is weekend “campong” the similar to weekend camping? 😄

• Haha 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

6 hours ago, Patriot said:

Is weekend “campong” the similar to weekend camping? 😄

@Patriot:  Nope - Campong is a weekend of camping and champagne shooting...

Screenshot2023-12-20at09_27_04.thumb.png.28f757c59a66832f0e484f8edd4b5aba.png

Never heard of "Chambong"?

Ha! Cheers, brother!

• Haha 1

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX