Truma Aqua Go hot water heater leak

srthomsen

Elite #1403 new as of June 15, 2023

Equipped with the complete Truma package.

We have not had our #1403 out in any freezing weather but the Truma hot water heater has a small leak near the bottom of the filter housing outlet behind the yellow lever on the left side of the unit.  I removed the filter screen housing and found that the device seals within the housing with two "O" rings.  The outermost "O" ring appears to have 'rolled' in its groove upon initial installation from either truma or Oliver.  The "O" ring is deformed and needs to be replaced.  

Have any of you had this issue?

Oliver informed & ticket submitted.

truma o ring 1.jpg

truma o ring 2.jpg

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Travel Trailers for Sale
View Inventory

Those seals are considered to be " consumable" parts, meaning you should just replace it and move on, But you are correct, that was an installation error.  Coat the oring with a silicone dielectric or plumbing  grease every time and you won't see further problems like rolling or tearing. You can buy tiny tubes at $10 per ounce, this one a much better value and a great product; it can also be used to moisture-proof electrical connections. I always use it on every oring, such as those on my PCP air rifles. and always on spark plug boots. I have been using this particular DC4 product for over 40 years. Now that I am retired from fixing airplanes, a big tube like this lasts me about ten years... 😉 

image.thumb.png.201503ceb2b9ff950b93db4476d20c3c.png

Dow Corning 4 Electrical Insulating Compound 5.3 Oz (150 g) Tube (1, Single Pack)

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 7

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 hour ago, srthomsen said:

The "O" ring is deformed and needs to be replaced.  

Some hardware stores sell o-rings in the plumbing department.  I have sometimes been able to find a replacement by taking the "old" o-ring to the hardware store and comparing it to what is available.

Then, as John Davies has wisely recommended, apply dielectric or plumber's faucet grease to all o-rings before re-installation.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

25 minutes ago, rich.dev said:

@John E Davies and @Rivernerd I have this dielectric grease, I don’t think it’s silicone based, can I use it?

That will work fine, you should use a NON-CURING silicone GREASE, not a sealer/ sealant, which would definitely stop the leak but you might never get the part back out.

https://www.crcindustries.com/marine-premium-dielectric-grease-3-3-wt-oz/

It says: "Also ideal for lubricating plastic & rubber."

How do you like that finger tip dispenser design? Is it useful or a gimmick? I don't understand why anyone would want a pressurized container of this stuff, you only need a very tiny amount each time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: 

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

A search for 'Keg Lube' will return a food grade o-ring lubricant brewers use on their brewing equipment.  All the fittings in a brewery have o-rings in the mechanical connections in hoses and tanks that handle liquids.  You can be assured that if they are being used in a brewery they won't impart and flavor or taste to the beer or your Oliver water supply.  I'm not sure the same can be said of the tubes of silicone lube you'll find at the hardware store.  You can buy keg lube in sizes that vary between 1 oz and 55 gallon drums.  A 1oz tube would last forever for most people.  And it'd be food grade.

If I was on the road, I'd probably just use some cooking oil of some sort with a plan to replace it when I got home.  It'd eventually go rancid.

This is the keg lube I use.

Screenshot 2023-11-25 at 2.04.12 PM.png

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

Why not the good old standby, Vaseline? That's what I've used to lube hoses and o-rings for decades.

• Like 1

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

2 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

Some hardware stores sell o-rings in the plumbing department.  I have sometimes been able to find a replacement by taking the "old" o-ring to the hardware store and comparing it to what is available.

Then, as John Davies has wisely recommended, apply dielectric or plumber's faucet grease to all o-rings before re-installation.

That is a possibility however I'm going to wait to see what Truma will do as far as furnishing a or some replacements.

4 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

JD and Rivernerd:

It only took me 40 years to digest using a di-electric (Insulating Grease) on electrical connections that we want to not be insulated.  My head aches are back!  just kidding.

But seriously, for what applications does one use DC 4 vs. DC5?   

GJ

image.png.e6f4882646a31233fe7db4bfd729d6c4.png

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DIY’s: Timken Bearings, BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DIY’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all, installed Ham Radio (WH6JPR).

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• Moderator+
6 hours ago, John E Davies said:

How do you like that finger tip dispenser design? Is it useful or a gimmick? I don't understand why anyone would want a pressurized container of this stuff, you only need a very tiny amount each time.

John Davies

Spokane WA

I’ve seen some gigantic O-Rings on heating/chiller piping and pumps in the maintenance areas of our hospital. 

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

8 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I used it more than a year ago on our Airstream, had issues with the AC control board and used some of it. Was recommended on the airstream forum, and it worked, but I’m not a fan of the fingertip dispenser, not easy to control the flow!

• Like 2

2023 Elite II, Hull# 1386, Lithium Platinum Package (640AH, 400W Solar, 3000W Xantrex Inverter)
Truma water heater & AC

TV: 2024 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L 10-Speed Allison