Batteries

Nan

Hey folks,  does anyone know where I can purchase batteries?  I have tried several places within driving distance of Savannah and they were no help. I would like to replace them with the exact same ones which are:  Trojan 6V-AGM VRLA batteries.  Thanks,  Nan. Hull #267 2017 

travel trailer units for sale
Find Oliver Inventory Units for Sale
View Inventory

Have you tried the Batteries Plus store in Savannah, at 7170 Hodgson Memorial Drive?  From an online search, it appears they may not sell Trojan brand, but they may carry 6V batteries that will fit the same footprint and provide the same output.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators

Nan, you primarily camp with hookups. You don't  "need" 4 6v trojan agms, imo. 

One good 12v marine deep cycle battery, agm, will take care of you. For much lest the cost.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

@Nan

Can you tell us more about your Oliver?  What brand of batteries do you have now?  How many do you have?  Do you have solar?  Do you have an inverter?  Who will complete the battery installation?  Do you boondock or camp without electric hookups?  How soon do you need the job completed?

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

@mossemi I have 4 6V Trojan AGM Batteries right now needing replaced. My camper is a 2017 elite 2  and has solar and an inverter. I rarely boondock but do occasionally. My grandson who is an engineer will do the installation and I need to have it done in the next 3 weeks. 

Thank you SO much for your help

4 hours ago, Nan said:

My grandson who is an engineer will do the installation and I need to have it done in the next 3 weeks. 

Your engineer grandson can surely follow the simple wiring diagram posted by Mossemi above to enable you to install much-more-available 12V AGM batteries rather than the harder-to-find 6V AGMs.  "4/0" and "6 ga." (or AWG) should be wire sizes with which he is familiar. 

The key is fitting the replacement batteries into the Elite II battery tray.  Once your battery box is re-wired for 12V, your will be set for the next time you need replacement batteries.

I recommend you measure the "footprint" of your battery tray, provide it to your engineer grandson, then look for 12V AGM batteries that will fit within that footprint.  Since you rarely boondock, maxing out the space available in the battery tray is not essential for you.  You just need enough amp hours to get you by when not connected to shore power, not the maximum number of amp hours possible in that space (which is what Oliver does when installing AGMs at the factory). 

For example, you can buy (3) 100Ah 12V Renogy AGM batteries from HomeDepot.com today and have them shipped to your home, with free delivery.  The price is good, at $190 each+tax.  They will provide you with 300 Ah of 12V power, which should be fine for your camping style.  At 6.9" W x 13.1" D x 8.6" H, all three should fit in your battery tray, it if is the same size as the one in my 2022 Elite II (14.2" W x 21.1" D).  See link below:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-Deep-Cycle-AGM-Battery-12-Volt-100Ah-Safe-Charge-Most-Home-Appliances-for-RV-Off-Grid-Solar-System-Maintenance-Free-BATT-AGM12-100/303412933?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&srsltid=AfmBOorSneKvTVWw2r3sIKlQ45WwEGlz22BrxiHdIMFves4CLf8EQjveME4#overlay

That is what I would do in your shoes.  Great price, sensible solution given how you use your Oliver.

Once your grandson rewires your battery box for 12V (any additional 4/0 or 6AWG wire needed for the rewire should also be available at any Home Depot retail store), you should be good to go.

Good luck!  And, please post the solution you end up with.

• Like 2

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

Grandson explained the confusion to me...I just ordered the batteries from Home Depot!!    Thank you so much for helping me!!

I am going to be boon docking for the first time at the end of December. I am excited to be trying something new to me..after all I am almost 77 years old and will be solo camping as usual!!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rivernerd said:

any additional 4/0 or 6AWG wire needed for the rewire should also be available at any Home Depot retail store), you should be good to go.

@Rivernerd's suggestion is spot-on.  Renogy products are top-notch, IMO.  Making the 4/0 (pronounced, "FOUR-Ought") and 6AWG (American Wire Gauge) cables for your new 12vDC battery bank is not difficult, if you've got the tools for it and your engineer grandson is experienced in such matters.  Cable cutters, a crimper tool, terminals, cable material, and proper heat shrink material are available from Amazon (no surprise there).  

Screenshot2023-11-29at07_08_35.thumb.png.aa70536b70de10bbe74c2900d7534d26.png

Screenshot2023-11-29at07_16_19.thumb.png.310984f78903765ce0d890aa91ecf6ad.png

Screenshot2023-11-29at07_22_39.thumb.png.77d7f8d1e9064c2841d22f97be8d5411.png

Custom-fit cables are efficient in terms of the space they'll occupy in the tight quarters of the battery box - plus, they make the array appear neat and tidy.

Being the Christmas Season, these tools would be nice stocking stuffers (get a big sock) for your engineer grandson if he doesn't already have them!  HO, Ho, ho!

Cheers!

• Thanks 1
  • Like 3

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Magnus & Oscar (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit
  • 2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo S GX, Other Victron Stuff: SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller,  DC-DC Charger, 12VDC Starlink kit, and Alcan 5-pack Leaf Springs
  • HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

• 2 weeks later...

Hull 275 Oliver ll. 
this is my story.  I also needed to change out my original batteries; Trojan T 105 6;volts , that were the original ones that came with my trailer when I bought it. I finally found them at a golf cart store in West Palm Beach which is a 10 hour drive from Atlanta.  So a drove down and bought them. Since I was going to go to Hohenwald on the 4 of December I decided that they could do the installation. Easy peasy. Well it did not turn out that way. 
I got a message from Jason which said the following: The  new T105 batteries have an embedded low profile terminal which is not allowing good connection for the cables. I am attaching a picture of one battery connection to show how the nut is not securing properly on the terminal as well as a picture with a possible solution by using a 4 stud adapter in two locations. If we use the adapters we would also have to rerun a new positive wire in order to rear the adapter. The reason is that there are 3 terminals that are not making good connection at all but I only have 2 adapters in stock.

So, what I thought was going to be a straightforward installation, it was not  

When I picked up the trailer yesterday I noticed that the  Hydrolink watering system which I had when I originally bought the trailer, was not installed.

it turns out that the original Hydrolink doesn’t work, according to Jason and I need to buy a new one. So now I’m left with having to manually remove the battery covers for each battery and manually fill up with distilled water whenever they get low. 
BUT they way the cables are installed there are some covers that are below the battery cables and can’t be reached easily!

LIVE AND LEARN  

The adapters are $22 each and a new positive wire run would be $165.00. The only other solution would be to take these batteries back and exchange them for the ones with the longer terminals.The adapters are $22 each and a new positive wire run would be $165.00. The only other solution would be to take these batteries back and exchange them for the ones with the longer terminals.

• Wow 1
  • Sad 3

• Moderators

Thank you for letting us know. I'm not one of them, but we do have a bunch of t105 owners here.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.